Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:23 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,499,522 times

Advertisements

You bought the cheap restricted fare ticket. Next time buy the full fare refundable ticket.

It's not the airlines fault that you booked the wrong flight, is it? If the ticket is more on the flight that you want to switch to it's because more people have booked that flight, so your perception is inaccurate.

I agree about being more customer friendly. However here is the deal. Airline employees have taken it in the shorts over the past decade and quite frankly are at the point of caring less about their companies image. Customers want the cheapest possible ticket and so the airlines have to cut back on services and make up for lost revenue by increasing fees. That's the way of the free market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 10:16 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,580,786 times
My ticket was $550 to fly monkey class Austin- Houston- Grensboro not a cheap ticket I have flown trans atlantic for only a little more many times! And you are right it is a free market and I generally react to things like this in the way I described earlier. I'll chose a different Airline or if it is less than a 10 drive I'll do that and have a 50% chance at getting there sooner and with all my luggage . Surely I am not angry with the individuals at the airline as they are mearly doing as their corporate brains tell them to, I just happen to think the have it wrong!

Old 10-15-2009, 08:35 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,000,903 times
Most airlines will let you fly on the flight before the one you booked on a standby basis. Just check in early, and ask. They might charge as much as $50.00, but it still beats the price they quote for a ticket change.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:52 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,772,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
My ticket was $550 to fly monkey class Austin- Houston- Grensboro not a cheap ticket I have flown trans atlantic for only a little more many times! And you are right it is a free market and I generally react to things like this in the way I described earlier. I'll chose a different Airline or if it is less than a 10 drive I'll do that and have a 50% chance at getting there sooner and with all my luggage . Surely I am not angry with the individuals at the airline as they are mearly doing as their corporate brains tell them to, I just happen to think the have it wrong!
You seem to be missing the point here. If this same scenario played out on a different airline you would still be in the same predicament. They all charge you if you want to do this. How hard is that to comprehend?

Threatening to change airlines over this is an empty threat. If you think it will cause them to change this policy, it won't.

I drive if it's less than 8 hours for the same reasons you stated. I can be 25% of the way to my destination in the time I spend sitting on my *ss in an airport waiting for a plane. That assumes the plane is on time and I don't sit on the tarmac for a couple of hours....

Old 10-16-2009, 09:55 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,772,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Most airlines will let you fly on the flight before the one you booked on a standby basis. Just check in early, and ask. They might charge as much as $50.00, but it still beats the price they quote for a ticket change.
I didn't know this. Thanks!

Old 10-16-2009, 05:16 PM

115 posts, read 447,543 times
Try standing by for an earlier flight. The standby fee should be less than changing the ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel