Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 11:51 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I used to think that Uber drivers get tipped through the payment but that isn't true. If you use UberTaxi then gratuity is added but it isn't included in their other services. Also the drivers are supposed to refuse a cash tip when you initially offer it but they can accept it if you insist. In the future I will try to have cash for tipping when using Uber or I will use Lyft where you can add a tip through the app after your ride.
I have two friends who drive for Uber who say the tip is part of the compensation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 12:44 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,793,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I have two friends who drive for Uber who say the tip is part of the compensation.
It is in the sense that they are being more for a ride compared to working for a taxi company but they aren't being "tipped" for the service that they provide. When I think of tipping it is a certain amount or percentage that I choose to give to the person for the service they provide. With Uber we have no choice in how much the driver gets paid, if they provide just acceptable or outstanding service there is nothing the passenger can do to potentially punish (no tip) or reward (any tip) the driver with the app. Even Uber's site says "there is no need to tip" but makes no statement of "because the tip is included in the fare" especially since they have a product that allows for tipping (it is a standard amount that the passenger can change). Ironically it is similar to the situation that brought this topic up. Uber drivers are like European servers, they are paid a better wage so they in theory shouldn't be dependent on tips to make up a significant portion of their salary. However I think the majority of Uber users aren't aware they aren't tipping, I know that I wasn't.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:00 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
It is in the sense that they are being more for a ride compared to working for a taxi company but they aren't being "tipped" for the service that they provide. When I think of tipping it is a certain amount or percentage that I choose to give to the person for the service they provide. With Uber we have no choice in how much the driver gets paid, if they provide just acceptable or outstanding service there is nothing the passenger can do to potentially punish (no tip) or reward (any tip) the driver with the app. Even Uber's site says "there is no need to tip" but makes no statement of "because the tip is included in the fare" especially since they have a product that allows for tipping (it is a standard amount that the passenger can change). Ironically it is similar to the situation that brought this topic up. Uber drivers are like European servers, they are paid a better wage so they in theory shouldn't be dependent on tips to make up a significant portion of their salary. However I think the majority of Uber users aren't aware they aren't tipping, I know that I wasn't.
Like I said, I do tip them if they do anything above giving me a ride in a clean car--and it has never been refused. But again, I have two friends who drive for them who say the tip is included...

Old 10-12-2015, 01:31 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,793,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Like I said, I do tip them if they do anything above giving me a ride in a clean car--and it has never been refused. But again, I have two friends who drive for them who say the tip is included...
Well I think I will trust Uber's terms and conditions a little more than your friends

Quote:
This payment structure is intended to fully compensate the Third Party Provider for the services or goods provided. Except with respect to taxicab transportation services requested through the Application, Uber does not designate any portion of your payment as a tip or gratuity to the Third Party Provider. Any representation by Uber (on Uber's website, in the Application, or in Uber's marketing materials) to the effect that tipping is "voluntary," "not required," and/or "included" in the payments you make for services or goods provided is not intended to suggest that Uber provides any additional amounts, beyond those described above, to the Third Party Provider. You understand and agree that, while you are free to provide additional payment as a gratuity to any Third Party Provider who provides you with services or goods obtained through the Service, you are under no obligation to do so. Gratuities are voluntary. After you have received services or goods obtained through the Service, you will have the opportunity to rate your experience and leave additional feedback about your Third Party Provider

Old 10-12-2015, 02:25 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,407 times
Default survival mode

Well, its official-financially, I'm transitioning from just getting by to struggling. I will be counting every penny. I hope I don't end up on the street.

I had been thinking about visiting family for Christmas, but that would mean adding more debt to the old credit card. A credit card I may need for survival purposes.

I did get to travel a few weeks ago. My old car finally died ($1,700 estimate to fix the engine). Then, in time to cancel the repair job, I got a call from my brother Scott-he wanted to sell me his (2013 vintage) car. I didn't have the money, but I was offered a 2004 Toyota Carolla from my brother Mark, for $10.00. (There is obvious wear and tear, including a dented fender, but the engine works just fine). Air fare put on credit card. Flew to Albuquerque, then drove back to Seattle. Slept two nights at hotels, using credit card.

Had stayed one day in Albuquerque to see family.

I missed work five days total, but at least I now have reliable transportation for the commute.

Unexpected expenses. However, there is a long term trend that worries, rents in the Seattle area keep going up. The last increase costs me an additional $100 a month. I am now thinking of moving out of the apartment into some form of shared housing.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 10-12-2015 at 03:01 PM..

Old 10-13-2015, 06:55 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,407 times
Anyway, that was my big trip for the year. I'm withdrawing from domestic travel, let alone travel abroad.

I know a guy who got laid off, and he mentioned that he borrows money to survive.

My point is….

How many other people are either just getting by, or are now struggling? Probably more than you may think. And no, they won't be traveling overseas as an enriching experience.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:33 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
You "try" to tip in the US? Meaning, you don't always and/or don't adhere to the culture norms regarding the amount?

Signed, someone who used to work in a touristy bar in Midtown Manhattan and listened to more than one foreign tourist explain to me why they were stiffing me on the tip....
Such ugly non-Americans.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:29 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,259,670 times
A lot of people say they cannot afford to travel, I find that difficult to believe. Yes, you cannot travel in luxury if you are not willing to spend thousands but you can get somewhere to spend the night if you are willing to spend hundreds.

It is really not all that hard to put away $200 a month and save that up for say, 6 months and then you'd have $1000. I'm sure you get somewhere decent for that.

I think these people who say they can't afford holidays truthfully hate them.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:37 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
A lot of people say they cannot afford to travel, I find that difficult to believe. Yes, you cannot travel in luxury if you are not willing to spend thousands but you can get somewhere to spend the night if you are willing to spend hundreds.

It is really not all that hard to put away $200 a month and save that up for say, 6 months and then you'd have $1000. I'm sure you get somewhere decent for that.

I think these people who say they can't afford holidays truthfully hate them.
No, those people don't hate holidays, however, the simply can't control their spending and are totally incapable of understanding the idea called "saving" or "not spending 100% of your income every month".

I used to have a roommate who makes $60k a year, worked for 4 years, shares an apartment with me for $550 a month yet doesn't have $1,000 cash in this bank most of the time. You know why? because those people want to have the nicest things all the time, a new leased car, multiple lattes every day, eats out all the time, all the so called "night life", newest tech gadgets. Of course they don't have any savings.

There are people who are too poor to travel overseas, but come on, America is the richest country in the world. Most people who can't simply because they spend too much money elsewhere.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:25 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,259,670 times
Yeah I don't understand that myself. We're middle class and people we know that are basically rich are always asking us where we are getting all of this 'money' to pay for the holidays that we go on; forgetting that they go out on a daily basis and waste their money on things like cars and new appliances.

I don't make a whole lot every month but I do make an effort to put away £200 a month (£500 at christmas) in order to save up for a good, decent holiday (or at least contribute to it).

I don't think these people truly know how to budget their money and that is the crux of it. I also think they greatly over exaggerate the cost of certain things involved in a holiday.

Last edited by Sickandtiredofthis; 10-14-2015 at 01:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel