Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 10:37 PM

363 posts, read 1,119,996 times

Advertisements

Currently researching our September vacation details online and I clicked on the "Hotwire" Rental Car icon. I was surprised to find rental cars for about 60-70% of the rates offered on Orbitz and Travelocity. Fearing being stranded at a strange airport without a rental car because I opted for the "cheaper" alternative makes me wonder how others' experiences have been. Oftentimes for me, "cheaper" equates to "riskier". So, anyone care to relay their personal (good or not so good) experiences renting cars thru Hotwire? What are the additional risks over the traditional travel websites, if any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 06:37 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,971,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Currently researching our September vacation details online and I clicked on the "Hotwire" Rental Car icon. I was surprised to find rental cars for about 60-70% of the rates offered on Orbitz and Travelocity. Fearing being stranded at a strange airport without a rental car because I opted for the "cheaper" alternative makes me wonder how others' experiences have been. Oftentimes for me, "cheaper" equates to "riskier". So, anyone care to relay their personal (good or not so good) experiences renting cars thru Hotwire? What are the additional risks over the traditional travel websites, if any?
I used HotWire for my rental car on my recent trip thru Alabama. I got a pretty good rate, i forget what it was but around 150 for a whole week and it ended up that i got Hertz which in my mind is usually one of the pricier and nicer rental car companies. The desk was right in the airport and everything was easy and legit.

G Man

Old 07-14-2009, 08:41 AM

703 posts, read 2,941,864 times
I have had no problems with Hotwire either. Their discount prices are pretty good. The only thing to be aware of is that once the Hotwire reservation is booked, your credit card is immediately charged and you CANNOT make any changes to your reservation whatsoever. You can't even extend the reservation.

This was annoying because I had initially reserved a car for 3 days, but then was able to extend my stay for another day. I had to make a new reservation for that extra day and basically return the car on Day 3, immediately walk into the customer service area to show my IDs then go outside to pick up the same identical car that I had just returned. It was silly, but whatever, saved some cash.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:01 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,971,905 times
Good point. Only use HotWire or Priceline for that matter (although you may be able to extend rentals on Priceline - i know you can attempt to for hotels - if they accept your price for the additional day(s)) if you know exactly what you want. The trade off for the good price is you get charged immediately and cannot change it. Also cannot use frequent flier miles or gold status or anything. But, for the money its well worth it.

G Man

Old 08-04-2010, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 15,685 times
Quote:
Reply: I am currently going through a very bad experience with HOTWIRE. When I made a car reservation through them, their website stated "You may cancel reservation at anytime". My plans have changed and I asked them to change the date of my reservation or cancel it. They refused to do either. Since I am just an average JOE and they are a big company, it is very likely that I will be stuck with paying the rental charges without using the rental car. I will never do business with HOTWIRE again, even if they offer something FREE! I absolutely do not trust them.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:24 PM

367 posts, read 1,073,710 times
I use Hotwire or check directly with the rental car companies. Have had no problems with Hotwire at all.
Would never use Orbitz or travelocity or expedia for rental cars.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 7,054 times
i have booked cars with hotwire in the past and to date have never had a negative experience. in fact i have recommended it to family members and friends and they feel the same way. just make sure to read the terms of use since they have 2 types or rentals to choose from.one you can cancel and the other is final.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:22 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
We only use Priceline for car rentals and have gotten some awesome deals through the years!

Old 09-20-2010, 11:39 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:

I have had a lot of good experiences with Hotwire car rentals with NO disappointments.

There are several drawbacks to Hotwire.

The website CLEARLY STATES:

http://ak-static.hotwire.com/static/images/global/details/know-before-you-go.gif (broken link)
  • Your account will be charged at the time of booking for the full rental amount, including all tax recovery charges and fees.
  • The rental agency will require a credit card or debit/check card in the primary driver's name. Sufficient credit must be available for a deposit. If you use a debit card for deposit, the agency may require proof of a round-trip travel ticket. Funds used for debit card deposits cannot be accessed until the car is returned. Amount of available credit required depends on car type, rental period, and optional items.
  • Bringing you rock-bottom priced rental cars means bookings are final (no refunds, no changes, non-transferable).
  • You will have the option to add additional drivers to your contract at the rental counter for an additional charge.
Bookings are final and can't be changed.

You will not receive any frequent flyer points or the like from Hotwire rentals.

You will not be entitled to any upgrades that you would be entitled if you booked directly with the agency.

In oither words, you are giving ups ome perks and some flexibility to save 20-40%. Whether that is worth it to YOU is YOUR call.

I do NOT recommend that you use Hotwire is your plans are likely to change, if your favorite Uncle Ernest is on his death bed or if your boss is about to sign a big deal wuth a major customer and needsw to have you around.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:35 AM

3 posts, read 15,685 times
I had another bad experience with Hotwire. I will never use Hotwire again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel