Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:39 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,454,592 times

Advertisements

This was unfortunate, but I don't blame AirTran or any other carrier responsible for peoples safety. I blame Osama bin Laden and his terrorist regime. It was their actions that sentenced the worldwide Muslim community to this type of treatment.

FOXNews.com - 'Safety' Remark Gets Muslim Family Kicked Off Plane - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 05:19 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,353,283 times
It is sad that things have come to this.

5 adults, 3 children, obviously Muslim, get on a plane.

A remark is made about their seats (safer in the back, middle, whatnot)

Someone gets nervous, informs flight staff, pilot kicks them off.

I just read about 6 articles on this situation. It really didn't sound as if the conversation was all that suspicious. But I guess, if you're Muslim, you open your mouth on a plane and say anything, you become a target. It is sad the fear that is out there, and the fact that people are so fearful that they allow the fear to take over logic. I'd really like to hear from the passengers of the plane, those that heard the comments, to see if they all felt nervous or just a couple of them. But if someone is nervous, they say something, the ball gets rolling I can see how it can happen.

The problem for me though, is what happened after the family was taken off the plane.

Air Tran had Federal Martials remove them and detain them for the FBI. Fine.

The FBI clears them.

Does Air Tran put them on the next flight?

NO. They refund their money and say have a nice day, that they cannot travel Air Tran. Why? That is DISCRIMINATION. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. Discrimination. Why, after the FBI cleared them, did they not allow them a ticket on another flight?

Does a bus driver have the right to refuse passage to a person based on looks, religion, or any factor he or she chooses? Can a restaurant choose not to serve someone because they are Jewish? It's just wrong.

Once the FBI cleared them, they had to find another flight, and went on US Airways.

Imagine how humiliating that was for them. They get kicked off and aren't allowed to get on another flight. Now one of them is contemplating a law suit, and I don't blame him. Not because they were asked to deplane, but because they were not re-booked. It's discrimination.

The reason I looked this up on the internet is because I just caught it on CNN. I was shocked, because one of the men and one of the women looked familiar!!!

And it turns out, I met them and kind of knew the wife a little, because our husbands went to the same school. When I saw them on tv, I said to myself, that looks like Kashif and Inayet. I looked it up on the net, and low and behold it is them. I haven't seen them for about 9 years. But I can tell you that they were very nice people. Inayet was one of the sweetest people I have met, and that is not an exaggeration. She introduced me to everyone around, all the spouses of the students, so I wouldn't feel alone, and made it a point to invite me on one of the spouse's excursions because she thought I would enjoy it and wanted to get me involved (her husband was several semesters ahead of mine, so they left shortly after we arrived) Anyway, I have nothing but nice things to say about them. I am sorry this happened to them.

The thing that bothers me, too, is that people who are just afraid due to prejudice and ignorance can really cause trouble for innocent people. It's just sad that it's come to this.

Was it this hard for the Japanese during WWII?

Old 01-02-2009, 06:11 PM

983 posts, read 4,443,651 times
It really is sad that everyone is so paranoid due to one's background. Had it been a white family, or Japanese and the same words were said nobody would have even gave it a second thought. I think they said what some of us think all the time. I sit near the back of plane because I feel it's the safest if the plane goes down. And I have seen previous accidents where the rear of the plane was intact. However silly it just makes me feel better.

While Americans are being paranoid for all the wrong reasons the real terrorist will slip right by. Nobody could look at these two men and see that they were Dr's and Lawyers and grew up here in the states. All they could see is that they were Muslim! Sad.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
It really is sad that everyone is so paranoid due to one's background. Had it been a white family, or Japanese and the same words were said nobody would have even gave it a second thought. I think they said what some of us think all the time. I sit near the back of plane because I feel it's the safest if the plane goes down. And I have seen previous accidents where the rear of the plane was intact. However silly it just makes me feel better.

While Americans are being paranoid for all the wrong reasons the real terrorist will slip right by. Nobody could look at these two men and see that they were Dr's and Lawyers and grew up here in the states. All they could see is that they were Muslim! Sad.
You are absolutely right.

This is what makes me nervous about security at the airport in general. While we are all standing there in the security line, with our zip loc baggies of 3 oz. of hand sanitizer, carrying our shoes, real terrorists could be right next to us with a new plan that has not even been dreamt of by the TSA. It is scary.

Here are live interviews:

'Safest' seat remarks get Muslim family kicked off plane - CNN.com

'Safest' seat remarks get Muslim family kicked off plane - CNN.com

Old 01-02-2009, 07:06 PM

I'm more disappointed in the Pilot and as far as I am concerned Airtran sucks! The Pilot should have been professional enough to go to the family and apologize after they were cleared and made them feel welcome to fly on his plane. He should have made sure they got comped for a future flight. I fly SWA!!

Old 01-02-2009, 07:30 PM

I know, it is understandable that the pilot should not fly if he doesn't feel safe, but when the FBI tells you it is a misunderstanding how is it legal for the pilot to say, OH, well, they are not getting on my plane, or for the airline not to put them on another flight?

I am just shocked by the blatant discrimination that occurred AFTER the passengers in question were cleared.

I would love to hear from other passengers on the plane, but i haven't found any quotes from other passengers.

I'd also like to hear from the two young girls that reported them. I hope sure that someone interviewed them to be sure they were really "scared" and not just stirring up trouble for an entire planeful of people.

I have never flown AirTran but I just heard that they don't use assigned seating? Is this true? If so, that explains a bit more why someone would be talking about the safest place to sit on a plane, because you might be discussing where you want to sit once you get on the plane, especially if a week and a half before there was an incident with another plane (denver)

Old 01-02-2009, 07:33 PM

I am off to read the 5 pages on this topic in the politics & other controversies
thread.

(Knew this belonged over there)

Old 01-02-2009, 08:12 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,064,037 times
This reminds me of when I was a young musician travelling around Europe in a beaten-up VW camper van. We were a bunch of scruffy kids in a brightly-coloured vehicle - so to the authorities we were OBVIOUSLY big drug smugglers, and therefore got stopped and searched at every border.... whilst the suits in their Mercedes-Benz were waved through.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:37 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,636,818 times
It is just that they are "visibly Muslim". Very silly. There are Muslims that look more like American movie icons such as Steve McQueen and John Wayne. They would have no problems.

This trend is not good. There's also the new requirement for citizens or nationals of the VISA waiver program having to seek approval prior to traveling to USA. DHS: ESTA Authorization Required for All Visa Waiver Program Countries Beginning January 12 (http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1226611203693.shtm - broken link)

Old 01-04-2009, 01:38 PM

Saw on CNN ticker today that Airtran has apologized, offered all nine refunds and free travel vouchers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel