Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 03:25 PM

673 posts, read 3,090,395 times

Advertisements

I really don't like Air travel, seem so cumbersome. The one and only advantage I is get to far of places FAST. The security checks, the problem is baggage (lost, delayed), the lines, expensive food, and getting stuck on plane for hours is definitely not fun.

The atmosphere at airport isn't relaxing either, I would call it very stressful instead! My dad is a heart patient, he usually walks just by himself just fine. But going to Airport/Air Travel makes him lose all the energy. He has to be in wheel chair for Air Travel. In fact, I also feel tired out for an Airplane trip.

In 2007 I went with my family for great vacation to Australia and Hawaii. However, it doesn't all fun. Going through Airport and going Airplane was very annoying. I am sure everyone in my family would have been much more happier if we it didn't involve air travel. At least, I guess the air travel didn't totally kill vacation and we did great time once we got of the dman airport!

These days just thinking of trip with Air Travel turns me off. In fact, I would even considering driving 1k miles instead of taking the plane. I am actually sure a nice drive to CA from Dallas could be fun. Instead of going through 6-8 hours of Air Travel "HELL". I always wish air travel was more fun ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 03:45 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,843 times
I used to love to fly but I just don't anymore. Yes and I agree about the food, do they know what they charge outside the airport??? Why does it have to be that expensive? I feel so crowded in the seats. And long layovers are always hard. I always wish I could take a nap but you can't leave your bags. I always take a good book to read. I have started driving when possible.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:19 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,928,776 times
I used to be terrified of flying, then I went to Fear of Flying Classes so I learnt how to be properly!

Flying anywhere outside of Oz, with the exception of a few islands close by, is pretty arduous. To me, a 5 hour flight is zip. Try approx 13.5 hours Sydney-L.A. or 22 plus hours Sydney-anywhere in Europe or U.K.
I'm more relaxed on a plane than I used to be, but can still feel a tad sweaty if the turbulence is bad.

But the fact is I want to leave Oddstralia often, and like most people, not having the luxury of the time required to take a ship, don't really have any other options.
I've tried hard to concentrate enough to teleport myself to America but obviously I'm too much of an air-head, 'cos it hasn't worked yet!

Having said all that, the BEST experience I had in the States outside of New Orleans, was a flight in a B-17 Warbird at the Lone Star Flight Museum. Those planes are incredible! Really recommend it! I wasn't nervous at all, those babies are made to last.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:28 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,508,814 times
I hate flying out of America because all of the crap you have to go through to get on the plane.

They put you in a machine to puff air on you then you get X-rayed to see if there is anything in your clothes, then you have to take your shoes off, then you have to take your laptop out, then the open your bag take everything out so you have to put it back in , then you go through the metal detector , then you get pat down and if they really like you get stripped search.

I wish there was a better train system for in country travel. All I know is if I leave the country I am hopping on a freight or driving to canada and going on plane there.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:40 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,727,326 times
Yeah, I'm with you nitokenshi. It's all that security stuff that makes it extra excrutiating. I dunno what it is about me, but they always pick me for those "random" extra checks, especially for the ones where they check for explosives. That puffy machine thing is embarrassing. You stand there in the little teleporter capsule and poof! poof! poof! while everybody watches ... good grief! We took a Round the World trip last year, the four of us, and it was always me being checked for bombs. They went through my carry-on bag on one stop, with swabs, and put them in a machine that was supposed to detect splody stuff. It was like CSI.

Long layovers are a drag, especially if the airport is crap. Singapore is pretty good. Hong Kong is boring. Frankfurt is rubbish - no place to sit and the only cafe we could find was choking with cigarette smoke. Couldn't believe they actually allow people to smoke in airports.

The whole traveling to far off places is always thrilling for me, but the airplane/airport bit is a big pain. Especially when a 12+ hour flight is ahead of you. We had to fly to Montreal from Perth last year for a funeral - Perth to Singapore to Frankfurt to Montreal, all at once. I think it was 32 hours in total. That is absolute torture.

We love to travel and that's one of the reasons we'll be leaving Australia in the next couple of years - to avoid those torturously long flights.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:50 AM

202 posts, read 359,002 times
I mostly hate airports. Although I did have my luggage delayed for a week when I went to Ireland, and, being a poor student, couldn't really afford to shell out for some more clothes! And someone also stole things (my webcam) out of my luggage by the time it did arrive. (I have my suspicions about TSA since they even put a pamphlet in my suitcase acknowledging that they had rifled through it) For some reason, TSA doesn't really make me feel more safe...rather, it makes me feel like a criminal. And Rome Ciampino airport (RyanAir) is a b****!!! For TWO days, they cancelled our flight (the airport was closed), but they didn't tell people this until you actually arrived at the airport, and even then you had to ask. So for two days, spending an extra 12 Euro each day just to get back and forth from the airport to the town center after we found out our flight was cancelled. We ended up giving up on RyanAir because we didn't know when we would ever get out! We each had to rebook a completely different flight out of Fiumcino Airport (the main one) for $260 each.

Although my 9 hour flight from Chicago O'Hare to Manchester, UK, was my first time flying, flying itself hasn't really bothered me. It's the hassle to get onto the plane in the first place. Though my ears never seem to pop correctly, even when I chew gum, which is quite painful...I've flown enough now that I usually just sleep the entire time. Going to Rome, I woke up and we were over the Alps!

Old 11-26-2008, 11:00 AM

16,669 posts, read 15,663,359 times
I have just about quit flying. It doesn't seem to matter which airline, the problems seem to be the same. I book a flight months in advance to make sure I get exactly what I want and the airline changes my itinerary 5-6 times before the trip. There is no practical reason I have to take my shoes off to board an airplane. Does it not make sense that all the airlines flying the Delta logo be called Delta flights when departures are announced? I've had several flights delayed so long that I missed the once-a-day bus connection on the other end and had to rent a car for a few days and then return it to the airport at great inconvenience. So, the airlines lose out on my business. I'll spend less money to travel, and that money will go to gasoline companies, motels, tire manufacturers, car mechanics, etc. The airlines have brought this on themselves.

(Maybe airline regulation was not such a bad thing.)

Old 11-26-2008, 12:00 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,230,068 times
Gawd, how I hate commercial flight and waiting in terminals! I flew my own planes for years and got spoiled. Drive to the airport, load the plane and take off. I could fly cross-country in my little plane at 180 mph and get to the destination quicker than if taking a 500 mph commercial jet. When I sold my last plane I bought a camper and now take my time going places whenever possible. It takes longer, but it's always a pleasant experience -- no crummy hotels either.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:58 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,991,884 times
If the trip is only a couple hour flight, it's almost easier (and almost as fast) to just drive! But the time you arrive at the airport early (figure in driving time, too!), go through all the bulls--- security, deal with the delays, take the flight, retrieve luggage.....heck--you could have driven there!

Old 11-28-2008, 04:01 PM

311 posts, read 1,058,128 times
I like flying itself but I hate the cumbersome process in the airport and everything related to it. I prefer strict security and regulations over the risk of having something dangerous slip through, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel