Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2023, 04:58 PM

670 posts, read 481,916 times

Advertisements

Will have a 4 day weekend over Labor Day and debating whether to do a solo trip. I’m 37 and will be child free that weekend. I live in Philly so ideally would want something close. Would consider flying too. So far came up with cape cod, red bank nj or some other northern jersey beaches and new hope. Have been to cape cod before and loved it but assuming Labor Day traffic will be bad. Have also been to new hope numerous times and love it but worried it may be dead over Labor Day.

Things I like to do on vacation are wander around charming towns, potentially relax at a pool or beach, eat at good restaurants and go out for some live music at night.

Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 05:17 AM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Plenty of small towns in Long Island, NY. Port Jefferson on the North shore and all the various Hamptons plus Montauk on the tip of Long Island on the south shore.

Old 07-24-2023, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Plenty of small towns in Long Island, NY. Port Jefferson on the North shore and all the various Hamptons plus Montauk on the tip of Long Island on the south shore.
I actually have been wanting to check out the hamptons but prices and crowds may be insane. Will look into it thanks!

Old 07-26-2023, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
I actually have been wanting to check out the hamptons but prices and crowds may be insane. Will look into it thanks!
I assume the prices will go down after the Labor Day weekend. Since you are looking into the Labor Day weekend, as I already mentioned I would check out Port Jefferson (on the LI north shore nowhere near the Hamptons) as an alternate destination. It's a nice small town on the water with stuff for a visitor to do and there is also a car ferry from there to the Connecticut.

Old 07-26-2023, 05:33 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,604,883 times
Have you been to the Delaware beaches? Rehoboth Beach/Dewey Beach. My husband and I like N. Dewey Beach since it is somewhat less expensive than Rehoboth and has a nice beach. There is one hotel right on the beach that is a good value. It has a reputation as a party town but may be less so Labor Day weekend. Lewes is a charming town.

Newport, RI is very nice.

Last edited by Maddie104; 07-26-2023 at 05:59 AM..

Old 07-26-2023, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I assume the prices will go down after the Labor Day weekend. Since you are looking into the Labor Day weekend, as I already mentioned I would check out Port Jefferson (on the LI north shore nowhere near the Hamptons) as an alternate destination. It's a nice small town on the water with stuff for a visitor to do and there is also a car ferry from there to the Connecticut.
I ended up booking the hamptons! Splurged a bit but found a decent deal for the area. Doing 2 nights near sag harbor and 2 nights in montauk! Thanks for the recommendation

Old 07-26-2023, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Have you been to the Delaware beaches? Rehoboth Beach/Dewey Beach. My husband and I like N. Dewey Beach since it is somewhat less expensive than Rehoboth and has a nice beach. There is one hotel right on the beach that is a good value. It has a reputation as a party town but may be less so Labor Day weekend. Lewes is a charming town.

Newport, RI is very nice.
I have only stopped by both of those and they are both really nice towns. Already booked hamptons but will add those to my list for my next trip!

I did Newport over Memorial Day weekend and loved it !! Traffic there was insane tho but I’m sure it’ll be like that everywhere over the holidays.

Old 07-27-2023, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
I ended up booking the hamptons! Splurged a bit but found a decent deal for the area. Doing 2 nights near sag harbor and 2 nights in montauk! Thanks for the recommendation
Great! Don't forget to check out the Montauk lighthouse area which is close to the tip of the island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel