Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2023, 07:33 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times

Advertisements

I've liked this idea ever since I heard about the Camino De Santiago in the movie "The Way."

This includes a bunch, such as:
The Pekoe Trail, Sri Lanka
The Island Walk, Prince Edward Island, Canada
The Transcaucasian Trail, Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan
The Michinoku Coastal Trail, Japan
The High Road, Massachusetts
The Trans Bhutan Trail, Bhutan
The Walk of Peace, Slovenia and Italy

2023 Is the Year of the Long Walk
The 500-mile Camino de Santiago has inspired a host of new treks in places from Canada to Bhutan that let travelers take the slow route.

The idea of a walking holiday — a long-distance journey on foot, during which you lodge overnight and carry just enough clothing, food and water for each day’s stretch — has long been popular in Europe. But within the last few years, these pilgrimage-style walks have sprung up all over the world.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/19/t...-exercise.html

Walking 36 Miles Through the Wales Countryside
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/19/t...rad-fflur.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2023, 08:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Have met many trekkers who are on, or have done:
Camino de Santiago
Appalachian Trail ( friend did this as a 'retirement' celebration, his wife was not impressed and longed for those precious few nights in a hotel)
Pacific Crest Trail (Walking distance from our home)

A few friends are currently walking, "The footsteps of the Apostle Paul".

Walking vacation can be very meaningful, and good for you (Your health) and relationships.

A few friends have taken a 'horse trek' in Wales and Scotland (inn-to-inn), They say it's exhausting, even for those in shape.

Do this while you're able

Old 07-06-2023, 03:22 AM

1,420 posts, read 755,147 times
I spent a week walking the last 100 miles of US1 from Key Largo to Key West a few years ago. It was a quite interesting little vacation.

Old 07-06-2023, 04:04 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times

European long-distance paths - Wikipedia

Map of the European Long Distance Paths - Wikipedia

Old 07-06-2023, 07:52 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,379,295 times
I do lots of bicycle trips, mostly as day trips but sometimes multi-day trips. Like long walking trips, you see and experience things at a slower pace and feel the ups and downs of the terrain. You notice the temperature changes and are exposed to the elements.

Two days ago, I took a day-trip bicycle ride along a 25 mile portion of the Elbe River bike path. I took the train from Chemnitz to Schoena, Germany which is on the border of Czechia (Czech Republic). Then I started pedaling south across the border and continued to the city of Usti nad Labem.

Shortly after I got to the Czech border, I stopped for a moment and took a photo for a few Czech bike riders who wanted a group shot next to the border marker posts. Then I started chatting with another bike rider in German who I could see was taking a long cycling tour. After a few minutes, I detected his German had an accent I could not make out so I asked where he lived. He told me near Basel, Switzerland for the past 20 years, and before that, in Canada. Ha, I told him I was from the US so we switched over to talking in English. It was the first time that either of us had chatted with someone in English for a long time. We rode together for the next couple of hours to Usti nad Labem and never ran out of things to chat about. Then we parted ways and he was continuing by bike on to Vienna, then back home to his family near Basel, Switzerland. You meet some really incredible people along the road when you are taking the slow road or path.

Old 07-06-2023, 08:24 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,634,713 times
We booked our first inn-to-inn trip for May of 2020, in Vermont. Had to cancel, obviously. Hoping to rebook soon. We thought it would be a good trial run for something similar in the Cotswolds. Anyone done either of these before?

Old 07-06-2023, 11:08 AM

566 posts, read 282,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
We booked our first inn-to-inn trip for May of 2020, in Vermont. Had to cancel, obviously. Hoping to rebook soon. We thought it would be a good trial run for something similar in the Cotswolds. Anyone done either of these before?
DW and I walked the West Highland Way in May 2022 from near Glasgow to Fort William in 8 days and 7 nights. It was just about 100 miles and we had 2 days with 20+ miles. Loved the trip although we did have 2 days of fairly soggy conditions. We used Mac's Adventures to book BnB's and luggage transfers. Booked an easier trip next May - Walk the Cotswolds in Comfort - as part of a longer trip that includes Amsterdam and Porto. BTW, we're 60+ and in reasonably good shape.

Old 07-06-2023, 12:14 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,634,713 times
Yes, Mac's is one of the main companies we keep seeing. Nice to hear you had a good experience with them. Thanks for the response.

Old 07-09-2023, 10:04 PM

16,091 posts, read 10,757,764 times
We are going to walk part of the Camino Inglés from the north coast into Santiago de Compostela. Not enough to be challenged but to get a taste of it. I might go back and walk the rest. We did the same on the Dingle Way in Ireland but was too rainy to enjoy it. I would recommend it in good weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel