Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 10:43 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,620,423 times

Advertisements

When you have a lodging booked, how often are you disappointed when you see what it's really like? Do you ever cancel and move?

If you do not reserve ahead, how often do you accept the first place you look, , as "good enough"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2023, 11:14 PM

61,912 posts, read 87,428,807 times
I usually make careful choices. Some are a bit disappointing, most are not. I don't really care much about things that lots of people find important, because all I need is a clean, quiet place in a desirable location. Restaurant, bar, gym, swimming pool, room service etc. aren't important to me. I am not wasting my travel time in hotel amenities.
When I travel (except a business travel) l am in late evening and out in the morning - and care only about a goodnight sleep. Don't even mind a shared bathroom.
Prefer Accor hotel chain - because I know what's to expect, or rent an apartment for longer stay (not Airbnb)
Most often l only make reservation for 1-2 first nights of my travel, then play by the ear, because I am a spontaneous traveller that is very flexible and doesn't stick to any set plans. I might stay shorter or longer, or change routes as I go.

I think that in decades of travel, I only cancelled and moved once or twice.

Last edited by elnina; 04-19-2023 at 11:27 PM..

Old 04-19-2023, 11:34 PM

16,130 posts, read 10,801,858 times
On a road trip you a likely staying less than 24 hours so I am not as picky as I would be if I was at a resort or destination. I always make a reservation because I might decide to dilly-dally along the way and arrive late. My hobby is staying in historic hotels when I can, so I do some research beforehand.

Old 04-19-2023, 11:41 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,620,423 times
Personally. I usually only book for airport arrival night, often the cheapest with shuttle. If there's a pillow, I'm good.

DW and I, "good enough" became our leitmotif, unless the price was too high at the first place. I can't remember ever moving, except to gain some variable like more convenient location. Sometimes I bond with a goofy place.

Old 04-20-2023, 08:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
Usually lately we do well, but before Google Maps it was a lot harder. There were 2 cases where we parked across from where we had a reservation, called them and cancelled. One was in Omak, WA, the place just looked like a dump in person, and we ended up finding a nice place farther north in Oroville. The other time was in Portland, the place turned out to be near the airport (jet noise) and next door to the garbage company truck yard. There have been two others where we did stay but will not go back. They were over 100 years old and we had unexplainable experiences that might be paranormal. After getting home, more research confirmed that others have had similar experiences. Those were in Port Townsend, WA and Eureka, CA. We stick to newer buildings now.

Old 04-20-2023, 10:16 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,096,605 times
My wife has saved us several times from less than advertised suites and rooms.
She expects the room or suite to look at least close to the advertisement and takes multiple screen shots of what is promised.
Having pictures and confirmations on hand with what is to be expected doesn’t give much room to the notion that we were mistaken.
She will even try to get some kind of confirmation of what we are to expect on a text message.
The bay view needs to be a bay view if that is what we paid for and not a view of a concrete wall or a roof loaded with utility piping and mechanical devices.

She works hard and likes nice accommodations without the bait and switch thing.
The bait and switch thing is common in foreign countries, luckily the shark that I married knows how to navigate past this.

Old 04-20-2023, 10:21 AM

13,139 posts, read 21,059,960 times
If you assume the worst reviews are true and customary, you will seldom be disappointed in what you actually get. I have no problem asking for another room if the one I get is substandard. If it's just a question of it not rising to the level I expected based on their marketing, that may or may not be an issue based on the trip as a whole.

Old 04-20-2023, 10:30 AM

8,082 posts, read 10,102,622 times
I generally make reservations and am quite specific in what i a looking for/at so there usually is not any "surprise".

On the occasion when it happens, it is quite straightforward to request a change of room, or in the worst of cases, move along and dispute the CC Charge if the hotel is still inclined to make a charge.

My experience in making reservations is that there are times when you get blind-sided by some local activity which is not generally published, and which soaks up most/all of the available hotel space. My worst was running into some sort of FBI get together in northern Virginia where all these federal cowboys had taken virtually all of the rooms. I was happy to have a reservation...although there is no fear like the fear associated with a bunch of people wandering about packing sidearms.

It happens, so i make reservations.

Old 04-20-2023, 03:55 PM

10,918 posts, read 7,437,405 times
I've had mixed results. The places always show their best rooms online, and the room you actually get can be a real disappointment.

One 3-night reservation made months in advance gave us a poorly maintained unit right next to the highway. The curtains were falling off the window, and the fan made a horrible squealing noise.

We went back to the office to complain; they said all the rooms were reserved. We pointed out that the parking lot was pretty empty, so they could give the crappy room to a late arrival. They finally agreed, and we got a much better room.

Other places have been less flexible, and we've left to take our chances elsewhere.

Old 04-20-2023, 04:02 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,599,740 times
We've only moved once, in Costa Rica a place we booked for a few nights had the roof next door being repaired right outside our window. Usually pretty adaptable with rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel