Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 02:03 PM

127 posts, read 147,661 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your recommendations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2023, 03:11 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
As mentioned, the critical piece of info missing is when is this 13 hour layover, are you arriving at 10pm and departing at 11am? Then no, not recommended, just get a hotel near the airport and rest.

Otherwise, assuming arriving early am and departing pm, London is one of the easiest cities to do this due to it's amazing public transport. Picadilly or Elizabeth line goes directly into central london, you can ride the London Eye, take a cruise on the Thames, visit Nelson column in Trafalgar square, visit No. 10 downing street, Victoria station perhaps, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey and St. James Park - that's probably more than you can squeeze in but you could try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancuriosity View Post
The British Museum is great. Trafalgar Square, Buckingham Palace. There's lots of places.
Agree, British Museum is awesome! however, due to it's size I don't think just a few hours will do it justice. I've been to the British Museum 5-6 times, each for 4-5 hours at a time and yet to see it all.

Old 04-02-2023, 03:31 PM

127 posts, read 147,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Depends on which 13 hours it is to be honest. If I get there at 10 pm and my flight leaves at 11 am then that's a different story from arriving there are at 8 am and the connection leaving at 9 pm. It also depends on what's ahead and what's behind me. Am I already going to be exhausted after the 1st flight? Do I have to head into a meeting straight after the 2nd flight? Lots of things to consider.

I'm personally not a huge fan of leaving the airport myself. I like to minimize the moving pieces in my travels as to reduce the chance of unwelcome surprises. With similarly long layovers in the past, I've taken a hotel in the airport and just slept - I'm usually shattered because I can't really sleep on planes well, so it works for me. But one time on like a 6 hour layover at Heathrow in the middle of the day, I took a bus to the nearest town and went shopping for a while. Didn't have any issues.
Veritas Vincit,
You have a good point about arriving late and having an early flight out the next day, reducing moving pieces and reducing unwelcome surprises. I feel the same and I would like to know if you have a hotel that you recommend near Heathrow-Terminal 5 or just near Heathrow? TIA

Old 04-18-2023, 09:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Recent example.
LHR noon arrival.
Stored bags 15£
Used the underground to Leicester Square 5.90£ https://leicestersquare.london/
(50 min to town via underground (only 15 min via express train for 4x the price))

Walked to Thames River, London bridge, (Big Ben), Westminster Cathedral, Scotland Yard, various parks (lots of them) very nice spring flowers and blooms, through St James, Green Parks, Buckingham Palace, to Kensington Palace via Hyde Park, then lunch + Natural History Museum, walk back to South Kensington underground.

< 6 hrs, all walking, no bus or cab. Big Bus / Hop on... Would make it easier, 40£ fare.
But we saw plenty, not a fast pace.

Total cost person was 11£ RT subway transportation, 15£ per bag storage at airport. If over 3 hrs, less than 24.

Depending on your flight times, you could easily catch a theatre show, but baggage storage closes at 22:00.

A very good afternoon in London.

Old 04-19-2023, 08:10 AM

6,801 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueClouds View Post
Veritas Vincit,
You have a good point about arriving late and having an early flight out the next day, reducing moving pieces and reducing unwelcome surprises. I feel the same and I would like to know if you have a hotel that you recommend near Heathrow-Terminal 5 or just near Heathrow? TIA

For T5 you cant beat the location of the Sofitel. It's right there and as convenient as it gets. But it is not cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel