Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 09:21 AM

11,147 posts, read 9,784,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
On road trips, I bring a 4 cup coffee maker with coffee and filters. Even if flying, I bring filters and coffee to use with the hotel coffee maker. I like good coffee first thing in the morning. Also pack a white noise machine and with my current plantar fasciitis bring a rolling pin or some substitute device to massage my foot. And extra prescription glasses since eyesight is so bad.
Try freezing a water bottle and using that to roll your arches on. It massages and relieves pain at the same time. Bonus is that it's readily available almost anywhere for a buck or so, and most hotel fridges have a tiny freezer, so you don't have to pack it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2023, 12:05 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,028,091 times
I once brought my folding bike as luggage when I flew to Denver in March 2019. I'd had a few layovers in the airport before, which made me curious to actually see the city.

Was a great way to explore the city intimately and feel like a local, since I didn't really have any specific sites on my itinerary. It snowed a bit on the evening of my second day, but that was fine, I just walked the bike. Being able to take it on transit helped.

Old 05-26-2023, 09:17 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,491,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
^^^^^ Wooden Clothes pins take a lot less space, are cheaper, and have more practical at home and away -- even better for chip bags. And recyclable.

Hotel rooms have built-in white-noise machines -- Water faucets.
Quote:
Chip clips and clothes pins work in the same principle. A chip clip, not in use, uccupies 5 times as much space as an idle clothes pin. Breakable plastic, you get 8 of yours for ten bucks, or a hundred of mine for 5.95. Mine can double for drying laundry. Or shims for wobbly tables. At home, I buy 48-packs, and after a few years, they're gone. I needed them. Plastic bags, on-off with one hand. Write on them to ID contents. A dozen makes a great stocking-stuffer, if you have too many.

For white noise, aim the shower at the edge of the noisy plastic curtain ede. Let the noisy hotel worry about wasted water.

What's happened to imagination? One poster thinks you can't walk to a bathmat. Another thinks you have to be in a shower to hear a shower. Is it sunspots?

This is not "directed at" anyone, but suggest an option for anyone whose comfort zone lies elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
If you visit us here in California, please don't do this. Aside from this past winter, we've been struggling with droughts for decades... and this sounds like a terrible waste of water!

Yeah... screw anyone who LIVES in those towns/states. Sheesh. This isn't being "imaginative," it's being downright disrespectful and wasteful. I just use an app on my phone, and/or the room's HVAC fan.

Quote:
People who live there can deal with their noise prroblem, or pay with water. Compared with Mexico, Cali doesn't have a noise issue.
I hope you have no plans to visit Australia! While many areas of our country have had a wet time of it recently, there are always regions that are in drought and sometimes pretty much the whole country is in drought. It has made us very water-aware, to the point where most of us here will turn the tap off once we've wetted our toothbrush, until we're ready to rinse - in order not not use more water than necessary! Leaving a tap on overnight is indeed disrespectful and wasteful!

Even in countries that have plenty of water, shame on you for being so inconsiderate and wasteful.

Old 05-26-2023, 10:00 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,614,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
I hope you have no plans to visit Australia! While many areas of our country have had a wet time of it recently, there are always regions that are in drought and sometimes pretty much the whole country is in drought. It has made us very water-aware, to the point where most of us here will turn the tap off once we've wetted our toothbrush, until we're ready to rinse - in order not not use more water than necessary! Leaving a tap on overnight is indeed disrespectful and wasteful!

Even in countries that have plenty of water, shame on you for being so inconsiderate and wasteful.
Been to Australia. No noise issues requiring white noise. Problem solved.

Old 05-26-2023, 10:21 PM

394 posts, read 278,274 times
Quote:
Been to Australia. No noise issues requiring white noise. Problem solved.
I've been to Australia too. I'm not sure what you're even talking about..
If you find your hotel, wherever it is, to be too noisy, just use a white noise app on your iPhone. Quite effective and doesn't waste water.

Old 05-27-2023, 04:27 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,028,091 times
I bring earplugs everywhere for if I ever need to drown out noise. On road trips, I'll also put my box fan in the car.

Old 05-27-2023, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb1067 View Post
I've been to Australia too. I'm not sure what you're even talking about..
If you find your hotel, wherever it is, to be too noisy, just use a white noise app on your iPhone. Quite effective and doesn't waste water.
Where can I get one of these amazing free iPhones?. I would need it about one night out of 100, most hotels are quiet. Somebody way up-thread suggested they have to have white noise.. To me, it faucet works.'s been an issue 3-4 times in my life.

Old 05-27-2023, 06:13 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,592,302 times
Quote:
Where can I get one of these amazing free iPhones?
I bet you can figure this out....

Quote:
My $50 Digiland tablet does everything a cellphone will do

Old 05-27-2023, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I bet you can figure this out....
Yup. Googled it.
Quote:
Average cost of an iPhone

If you were to buy an iPhone outright – paying the full cost upfront – the average price of an iPhone is $758. Over a 24 month contract period, on average you would be paying $2,736 for the cell phone and the airtime plan.
White noise, no extra charge.

Old 05-27-2023, 08:08 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,592,302 times
Whooooooshhhh.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel