Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 07:01 AM

156 posts, read 165,770 times

Advertisements

Planning to trip to France with our teen daughter and son during summer vacation.
We will be there for a week. Any tips you can share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2022, 07:16 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
Paris is awesome but so is the rest of France. I’d do some sort of two location trip and take the TGV out of Paris to get there for a quintessential French experience. (Book plane tickets as a multi-city/open jaw route if you do that).

Looking at the TGV route map, maybe go to Lyon and rent a car to explore the Alps a bit from there or alternately train down to Nice and spend a few days along the original Riviera.

The Accor hotel group is France’s home-grown hotel conglomerate and has a ton of different brands from luxury level to bare bones. The important thing is that almost all of their properties will have AC, which is not a given with indie hotels, and when we were in Europe last summer ,we had the obligatory 33C/100F+ heat wave.

Old 12-28-2022, 08:15 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,005,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Paris is awesome but so is the rest of France. I’d do some sort of two location trip and take the TGV out of Paris to get there for a quintessential French experience. (Book plane tickets as a multi-city/open jaw route if you do that).

Looking at the TGV route map, maybe go to Lyon and rent a car to explore the Alps a bit from there or alternately train down to Nice and spend a few days along the original Riviera.

The Accor hotel group is France’s home-grown hotel conglomerate and has a ton of different brands from luxury level to bare bones. The important thing is that almost all of their properties will have AC, which is not a given with indie hotels, and when we were in Europe last summer ,we had the obligatory 33C/100F+ heat wave.
I agree with this post, especially the part about exploring the French Alps, especially in summertime. France can be brutally hot (to me, at least, because I detest hot weather), so I would forego the Riviera. Spend a couple of days in Paris, then take trains to the mountains for a couple of days. Lyon is great, and you can take day trips from there.

And as the above poster suggested, make sure your hotels have A/C.

Old 12-28-2022, 08:35 AM

9,155 posts, read 6,202,297 times
With only one week, I would stay based in Paris and not move. There is so much to see and do in the Ile de France without changing your base.

I won't list all the attractions and events in Paris because I'm sure you are already aware of these but understand that Paris is a wonderful city for walking and random explorations. Lovely cafes, interesting street markets, unknown (to you that is) churches and museums. Shopping! The Grand Magasins (https://francetoday.com/culture/shop...rtment_stores/) are a tourist attraction even if you don't buy anything.

Also, there are many easy day trips from Paris so that you don't have to spend time changing hotels to visit.

If you want to travel outside of Paris, here are some of those easy trips that only require taking the train from one of Paris's train stations.

From Paris, it's an easy train trip to Versailles. That's a whole day trip in which you can be overwhelmed by the grandeur and scale of the royal palace and gardens. https://en.chateauversailles.fr/

You can also take a train to Chartres and see the grand cathedral. https://www.cathedrale-chartres.org/en/

If this is the family's first trip to Paris, just stay in Paris and absorb the ambience, food, and air that is Paris. No need to travel outside the city for enjoyment and new experiences.

For lodging, I would recommend securing an apartment so that you can shop in the traiteurs and bring delicious food back to the apartment for dinner. And nothing is better than fresh croissants for breakfast. Easy to get at the many boulangeries around the city. There are many ways to rent an apartment, but make sure that there is a/c in all the rooms, not just the bedrooms. Just search for vacation rentals in Paris and you will get a comprehensive list. Depending on how many family members are going, a one bedroom may suffice with a pull-out sofa in the living room. Many Paris apartment buildings do not have elevators, so if mobility is an issue, inquire. Be aware that the ground floor, or first floor in the US, is called the RC (Rez-de-Chaussee) in Paris. Their first floor (1er Etage (1st Floor)) is our second floor.

Traiteur (the closest we have in the US is a deli, that has prepared, ready to eat foods):

Boulangerie (boulangerie is a bread bakery that also has small dough based pastries and some sandwiches. Patisserie is a bakery for pastry and cakes.) :

Last edited by Lillie767; 12-28-2022 at 08:48 AM..

Old 12-28-2022, 03:51 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,810,912 times
Suggestion, try to stay at least 10 days, or more ! Seven will seem too short. When my son went to France, he tried to speak what little French he knew. The locals so appreciated his trying, went out of their way to assist him..

When entering a shop in France, he learned to always greet the owner, to thank them when leaving, whether he purchased something or not. Learn some customs, again appreciated.

Bon Voyage !

Old 12-29-2022, 12:54 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
With only a week (and assuming you're bookending your week so have more like 8-9 days) I'd suggest you do an open-jaw flight, arriving in Paris and departing from Lyon. You could also choose another city like Bordeaux or Montpellier as 2nd location but Lyon would the easiest to get to since only two hours by train and is the food capital, access to the French Alps, and downtown river views that are prettier than Paris.

PM me if you want to know anything about Lyon, we just spent a few months there this summer so know it pretty well and it is still fresh in my head.

Old 12-29-2022, 05:13 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,607,079 times
With four people paying 4x for transportation tickets, I'd recommend renting a little car. That would avail you of farm-stays for overnight accommodations. A week will go by very quickly. I woul get in the obligatory Paris the first couple of days then get a days drive out of Paris, say, to Brittany, and then just hang out and let France show you what it's got.

Last edited by arr430; 12-29-2022 at 06:09 AM..

Old 12-29-2022, 12:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Self-tour of the Catacombs in Paris was a learning experience for our kids!
https://www.catacombes.paris.fr/en

Couple days on a canal barge and bicycles would be memorable.

Walking at night and enjoying the parks and fountains of Paris.

Staying in a farm / stay (Rural working farm)

Visit a few museums of the French resistance and tutor your kids in who was the French Resistance (many were teenagers).

Let them explore on their own and meet local people. Kids can ask a lot more questions than adults, and have a lot of fun interacting with nationals.

Old 12-29-2022, 02:45 PM

156 posts, read 165,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Self-tour of the Catacombs in Paris was a learning experience for our kids!
https://www.catacombes.paris.fr/en

Couple days on a canal barge and bicycles would be memorable.

Walking at night and enjoying the parks and fountains of Paris.

Staying in a farm / stay (Rural working farm)

Visit a few museums of the French resistance and tutor your kids in who was the French Resistance (many were teenagers).

Let them explore on their own and meet local people. Kids can ask a lot more questions than adults, and have a lot of fun interacting with nationals.
Thanks for the info.
Any resources to find a working farm?

Old 12-29-2022, 03:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anavar View Post
Thanks for the info.
Any resources to find a working farm?
https://www.farmstayplanet.com/farm-...guides/france/

https://www.reidsguides.com/destinat...griturism.html
https://trip101.com/article/farm-stay-in-france

Pre-internet, pre GPS, pre Cell phone... we used local tourism offices to find and book Agri tourism. Those rural spots required a car, and took a long time to find the location! (Don't start looking in the dark...)

We set our teenage kids free in cities (after breakfast) with a specified place to meet for a late lunch. They often would take us back to places they found while exploring (which were far better than the places we found).

Consider listening to a few Rick Steves and Lonely Planet videos for not so common fun things to do and places to visit.

Staying with locals or small private B&B is our favorite way to travel, Staying in local neighborhoods and with local people. Been doing it without problems for over 30 yrs. ~$20/ night worldwide (often free), a great experience for families and kids.

https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange

BeWelcome is popular in Beligium and France. https://www.bewelcome.org/

World Packers and Servas are good options and purposed for cultural exchange.

DW nixed our frequent intl Hosteling due to too many coed showers while in SW France. "Come-on-in" was not the appropriate greeting for mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel