Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 10:27 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,647,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Those of you who travel at your own expense, on your own time -- what, in your gut and heart and soul, leads you to travel?
To see cool stuff.

And to feel it too.

I mean, come on. Who doesn’t want to experience this?

https://www.edgenyc.com/en
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 02:54 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,982,834 times
To satisfy my curiosity about the world. Oh, and to see amazing things!

Old 11-18-2022, 03:19 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,031,411 times
I travel to see amazing things, nature is the top of my list and we in US are fortunate we have many natural wonders available to us by driving without risking our lives. When we travelled out west to national parks I heard so many different languages spoken around me.

Wish I could've seen more of Europe but unless some miracle happens I won't because I positively HATE airplane travel to get there and Covid has made that even more of an obstacle. I'm OK with that. We now live near the Blue Ridge and take 2 to 3 hour trips and see such beautiful waterfalls and mountains. In October went apple-picking right off Blue Ridge Parkway and I'm making apple tarts for Thanksgiving.

Old 11-18-2022, 04:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Curiosity and the fun of exploration. I've never been to any other countries except for Canada and Mexico, but have been to 44 states. One could spend almost their entire lifetime exploring their own state. Most recently we did a road trip to Tillamook Oregon and then down the Pacific Coast to Eureka, CA. We have been in Washington state for 28 years and have still not been to Walla Wall or Pullman.

Old 11-18-2022, 04:11 PM

27,557 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Curiosity and the fun of exploration. I've never been to any other countries except for Canada and Mexico, but have been to 44 states. One could spend almost their entire lifetime exploring their own state. Most recently we did a road trip to Tillamook Oregon and then down the Pacific Coast to Eureka, CA. We have been in Washington state for 28 years and have still not been to Walla Wall or Pullman.
You live in a rich area near Seattle, and yet you have never traveled overseas?

I envy you. You're going to have the time of your life when you explore a foreign country on another continent. There is nothing like it.

Old 11-18-2022, 04:15 PM

61,679 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Travel broadens the mind and widens my horizons. Teaches me about other cultures, customs, habits and behaviors. Makes me more aware of how people operate in different countries. Improves my knowledge of foreign languages - yup, I love conversations with the natives, and try their cuisines.
I also like to explore the local nature and history.
Every journey makes me smarter and more life experienced.

Last edited by elnina; 11-18-2022 at 08:24 PM..

Old 11-18-2022, 05:52 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Those of you who travel at your own expense, on your own time -- what, in your gut and heart and soul, leads you to travel?

Moi, I learned to read phonetically reading the names of places on maps. When I got my first stamp collecting kit, I dove in head first. There was no place to go but -- everywheere.
I can't imagine NOT traveling. Staying in the same place all the time? Just no. I need variety, new experiences, new sights, smells, tastes.

As you did, I wanted to travel to new places since I was a child. I read encyclopedias. I read National Geographic. I'd check these places on maps, to see how far they were from me. I can't even imagine spending a year in my home and going nowhere. How boring!

I grew up in a traveling family, in the 60s and 70s. My dad flew and owned a small plane. My mother was a TWA flight attendant when plane going across country had to refuel in Kansas City. Free travel was one of the reasons why she wanted to be a flight attendant. I followed in her footsteps for a couple of years in a less glamourous domestic carrier.

Road trips are so interesting and educational! I love those, too.

For me the question is instead - Why would anyone NOT want to travel?

Old 11-18-2022, 07:05 PM

813 posts, read 402,457 times
I travel because I love going places. Love learning about different cultures, meeting people, experiencing different things, and etc. Have been travelling abroad since I was 10 years old. It's maybe somewhat genetic because my Mom always love travelling overseas. I've been to 41 countries and only 25 states so far. I no longer like land vacations like when I was younger. I never liked road trips. Ocean going cruises are what I love. Being at sea is maybe the most pleasurable thing for me.

Old 11-18-2022, 07:34 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
I have about as many reasons as there are places. A wedding, education, a world heritage site, ancestral village, world-class cities, scenery, and whatever comes next.

Old 11-18-2022, 07:49 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,597,475 times
Before I go, I don't really know why I'm going, but when I get cack, I always feel that it was worth going. I go, with no more of an agenda than, Well, let's see what happens. I make no preparations, just get off the plane and see what happens.

Yes, I'm a "collector", but not competitive, except with possibilities. I know how many countries I've been to, and I know how many there are, and I'm competing only with my limitations.

I had a good friend, grew up on a farm got Ag degrees, worked as consultant. Travel when he can, which was a lot. Several times a day, he'd pull over, walk into a field, and taste a handful of soil. Everyone senses the world's variations in a different way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel