Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2008, 10:28 PM

22 posts, read 59,107 times

Advertisements

This summer, a friend and I are driving to New York. We will be going through Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. Since it is a long trip, we will stopping at least one night, maybe two. And we want to do some things along the way. So far, we plan to stop at a chocolate factory in Indiana and then stay in a lodge in north east Indiana. In Ohio, we have found some interesting attractions, but havn't decided yet. I really want to visit Gary, Indiana. I used to live in Indiana, near Indianapolis and we went to Gary once when I was little. I know about the murder capital and the danger, but I just wanted to stop for a few minutes and get a picture, just to say I've been there. But, if I would be in real danger, then I don't want to go. If anyone lives there or knows a lot about it, would I be in danger if we got out of the car for a few minutes? Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions on places to visit on our trip. I want interesting places that you wouldn't find in the normal town. You know, like cute general stores, festivals, museums, ect. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 05:37 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,232,390 times
tomcat6

It would be helpful if you told us your starting point and your time frames. Chicago has some really cool museums. Science and Industry I think it was. Also there is this restaurant/dinner Ed Debevnik's where the waiters get up on the counter and sing. Very funny and very reasonably priced.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:30 AM

22 posts, read 59,107 times
We are starting out in North east Illinois and ending at Buffalo New York. We will be leaving sometime around June 20th. We want to stay in the north of all the states though, to get there faster. I think Chicago would be too out of the way, though my friend really wants to see it.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:54 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,684,398 times
Chocolate factory in Indiana? Have you considered the Hershey factory in PA.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:41 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,552,839 times
If you find yourselves on I-70 in Eastern Indiana, Exit 145 has a nice candle shop and a Ford Model T museum together on the South side of the highway.

The National Museum of the Air Force and other aviation-related attractions are in the Dayton, OH area just South of I-70

The American Motorcycle Association headquarters and museum is also on I-70 at Exit 118, just east of Columbus, OH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel