Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 02:53 AM

1,103 posts, read 447,595 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post on, but it's the closest.

There's quite a few countries now that upon arrival, the traveler must quarantine at a hotel for X amount of days, even if they test negative for covid. If they test negative upon arrival, why do they still need to quarantine? Does the virus go undetected for a X number of days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 07:01 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,520,072 times
"If they test negative upon arrival, why do they still need to quarantine? "

Their house, their rules!!

Old 11-06-2021, 12:03 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,008 times
COVID tests are unlikely to detect the virus early in your infection. Tests are more accurate when viral loads are high, immediately before onset of symptoms or during the first five days of symptoms for those who are symptomatic. Symptoms develop about 5 days after exposure.

My nephew and his wife are currently quarantined for 15 days in a resort hotel in Mexico. She developed symptoms about Day 5 of their vacation and tested positive, I assume using a Rapid test since testing was done by the resort doctor and she got the results right away. My nephew is presumed positive. They wore cloth masks on the planes and in airports. She posted a picture of the Mexican airport and it was packed with tourists, perhaps going through Customs, so I am not surprised that she got infected. It is important to wear a good quality mask when traveling in crowded enclosed areas such as airplanes and airports, preferrably an N95 or KN95 mask.

Rapid tests are very accurate for negative results but not so much for positive results (only 72% accurate for those with symptoms). Since she tested positive, I think she should have been retested with a PCR test (the more sensitive test that has to be sent to the lab for analysis and the test generally required before travel) to confirm but hard to argue with the resort doctor in a foreign country.

Old 11-06-2021, 01:03 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,877,686 times
Rapid tests are very accurate for negative results

I think you have that backwards.

Here's a link. Critical sentence is THIS:

Rapid tests come with a high risk of giving a false negative result. A false negative means the test shows you don’t have COVID-19 when you do actually have it.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ho...accurate-is-it

Pretty much no excuse for every single person to know this now.

But back to the OP - each nation has their own rules. USA is one of them - ya gotta get a test to come home.

Lots of places require a test to get on the plane - AND ANOTHER when you land - then quarantine until the results are back from the 2nd test. Yep. Just depends where you're going - but please read their policies carefully, and check back often. The USA is glacial at changing policies - but other nations change theirs weekly.

Old 11-06-2021, 01:19 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,687 times
Simple solution: plan a trip to a different country. Why waste the extra money and vacation time on that nonsense?

Old 11-06-2021, 11:41 PM

572 posts, read 325,781 times
Very few countries now demand to have quarantine the list is very small. Plan the other destination and quarantine rules also apply on high ratio Covid countries. Traveling restriction were eased in October.

Old 11-07-2021, 05:55 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Rapid tests are very accurate for negative results

I think you have that backwards.

Here's a link. Critical sentence is THIS:

Rapid tests come with a high risk of giving a false negative result. A false negative means the test shows you don’t have COVID-19 when you do actually have it.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ho...accurate-is-it

Pretty much no excuse for every single person to know this now.
You are right. I stand corrected.

Old 11-08-2021, 08:38 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tip...3tD?li=BBnbklE

Old 11-22-2021, 05:50 AM

13 posts, read 6,567 times
In some places it's compulsory but these tips for safely flying, driving and staying at hotels. ... get tested before or after your trip within the U.S. or quarantine after you return.

Old 11-22-2021, 06:14 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post on, but it's the closest.

There's quite a few countries now that upon arrival, the traveler must quarantine at a hotel for X amount of days, even if they test negative for covid. If they test negative upon arrival, why do they still need to quarantine? Does the virus go undetected for a X number of days?
Even if they get tested at their arrival airport, they could have picked up COVID recently enough that it won't be picked up by the test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel