Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 06:09 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,381,599 times

Advertisements

I'll let the pictures do the talking
Attached Thumbnails
Your travel mishaps?-camper-damage-7-9-19-21.jpg   Your travel mishaps?-camper-damage-9-19-21.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2021, 06:32 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,684,790 times
I was getting on a train in Amsterdam and was running a little late so grabbed a coffee and sandwich at Central Station. For the most part I just point at the sandwich that looks good because I don't read dutch. I still had a few minutes before the train arrived so decided to eat the sandwich. It turned out to be a raw fish sandwich.

Old 10-19-2021, 07:03 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Did you try it?

There are sushi restaurants in just about every strip mall, I can't imagine the fact something is raw fish being such a deal breaker.

Old 10-19-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Did you try it?

There are sushi restaurants in just about every strip mall, I can't imagine the fact something is raw fish being such a deal breaker.
Yes I did and that is how I figured out what it was.

I like sushi of all kinds including that with raw fish. I make nigiri with raw sushi grade tuna at home regularly. I did not however like a large fillet of raw fish in sandwich form for breakfast.

Old 10-20-2021, 02:00 PM

554 posts, read 1,068,114 times
Not really a mishap, but something that scared me. I was travelling from New Orleans to Manilla. I went from New Orleans to Memphis to Seattle, and then onto Tokyo (or Seoul, don't remember which). This was back in the 90's and ATM machines weren't common where I was traveling to in the Philippines, so I was carrying cash (about $3,000 if I remember right). I can't sleep on planes unless I am ready to pass out from being tired. So I was pretty tired when we got to Tokyo (Seoul). I used the restroom in the airport. The money was in a bank purse (that's what I call it anyway), and I set it down when I used the restroom. I was so tired I walked away, and left it laying there. Panic struck about 5 minutes later as I was walking through the airport, and realized I didn't have my money. I made a beeline back to the restroom, expecting the worst. Much to my surprise the purse was still laying where I had left it. It was late at night, and there weren't a whole lot of people in the airport, so no one may have even went in the rest room after I had left.

There was actually another frightening part of that trip. We flew from Tokyo to Taipei. By that point I was tired enough to have slept most of that flight. As we were approaching Taipei they made an announcement that we were beginning our initial descent into Taipei. That woke me up. I had a window seat, and looked out the window. The captain had turned the landing lights of the plane on, and it was raining. When I looked out the window what I saw were lights on water, I nearly screamed thinking we were getting ready to crash into the ocean. I held back the desire to scream for just a second to think about what I was seeing out the window, and then realized it was the airplane light reflecting off of the rain. That would have been embarrassing if I would have screamed!

Old 10-20-2021, 02:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I remember our return trip from Lake Tahoe, I think it was 2018, when a huge wildfire was burning near I5 in Oregon, and into the northernmost part of California. We had already altered our route to avoid a fire farther east, and when we passed through southern Oregon the center divide and right shoulder were actually in flames, with fire trucks on site, and more than an hour of that trip was with heavy smoke. The highway had been closed until just an hour before we went through.

Old 10-20-2021, 02:50 PM

I did have one kinda scary event. Flew from Minneapolis to Amsterdam. Flights don't fly straight across the ocean. You fly way up north and then fly south into Amsterdam. At real close to the northern most point everyone was talking, watching a movie, or listening to music. Then the entire cabin went completely black with nothing working. The plane went from a dull roar to being able to hear a pin drop. It stayed black for maybe 2 minutes then the lights came back on. After another 10-15 minutes the TVs started working again, kinda, they would just randomly go black of change the channel by itself. It never did work correctly on the 3 or 4 hours we had left.

The great thing is the plane itself stayed working perfectly.

I was on the Oregon coast a couple years ago. On the way home in mid April I got snowed in for 3 days 100 miles from home on a near 2000 mile trip.

Old 10-21-2021, 11:55 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,603,829 times
In German, I went to buy some travel food, including a litre that looked like apple juice. The kindly clerk said "You know that's apfelsaft vinegar, right?"

Old 10-24-2021, 11:45 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,603,829 times
Four of us, awaiting our Soviet visas at the Helsinki hostel, spent the week driving up to see the Midnight Sun. Drove leisurely all night the first night to where it was always light, did some sightseeing, and when the car clock said 5:00, we stopped for a good night's sleep at a youth hostel, which seemed to be closed. When we finally got someone's attention, they said "It's 5-am"

Old 10-27-2021, 05:39 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I accidentally stayed at a brothel.
WAIT A MINUTE!!!

There's a real adventure story here. You're not getting off this easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel