Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 08:36 PM

131,561 posts, read 12,321,976 times

Advertisements

I tried to price some ticket for next April/May, so far it's looking liek the same price as the tickets we had to get refunded when Covid cancelled our flights to Ireland Spring 2020. I'm not booking yet though, want to make sure the quarantine restrictions have gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2021, 08:02 AM

30,701 posts, read 80,132,372 times
Price goes up as a flight fills and then back down when a new plane is added. We jsut flew to Denver from Detroit. Spirt was $53 (but we will not fly on Spirit and if ou bring a carry on or check bag is it not cheaper) We chose Delta for $150 round trip that only downside was on the way home we had to fly to salt lake City, lay over for three hours and then home. Still to save $800 between the two of us, I will sit in an airport and work or play on my computer for three hours rather than doing it at home.

Old 10-18-2021, 01:48 PM
JRR

8,236 posts, read 5,749,624 times
I had a really great customer service experience today. Alaska Airlines changed our flight schedules for next summer and I had to call to confirm which new flights I wanted.

I figured I was going to have to endure the usual wait for who knows how long and then talk to someone in the Philippines or India. I called and the automated system took my name and phone number and said that I would get a callback in three to six minutes. Yeah; sure.

Actually in about two minutes the callback came and I spoke to a nice lady in Boise who handled my flight changes. All in all, it was one of the most pleasant customer service experiences I've had in years. It just shows that companies can do a good job of customer service if they want to.

Old 10-19-2021, 07:29 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,822,690 times
Holiday airfares are always ridiculous. I always book tickets for Thanksgiving/Christmas/whatever as soon as I can firm up plans, and that's as early as 11 months out. Also I never, ever book connections shorter than 90 minutes for domestic, 2 hours for international. And I try to fly nonstop whenever possible, and if I have to connect, always in the southern half of the country in winter.

British Airways changed flight schedules on me twice, and somehow their computers didn't catch that they scheduled me for a -90 minute connection (e.g. leg 2 leaves Heathrow an hour and a half BEFORE leg 1 into Heathrow arrives).

Old 10-23-2021, 09:13 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,734,108 times
Looking for input on when to buy an airline ticket for international travel next year. We want to fly Denver to Oslo in August 2022 and return from Rome to Denver in September 2022. Yes, I know how to search for multi-city fares

I've been looking around at airfares and some say "only 7 seats left at that price". Is that really true? Do I need to buy my tickets now? It seems so far in advance and I'm sure that if I bought now that the flights will be changed a number of times in the next year.

If I don't buy now, how far in advance should I wait before buying?

Old 10-24-2021, 06:42 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,545,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post

I've been looking around at airfares and some say "only 7 seats left at that price". Is that really true? Do I need to buy my tickets now?
It depends, but it's likely that "at that price" can be indeed true. There may only be 7 seats left in that fare bucket, but when they are sold out more seats may become available at a higher or even lower fare depending on route, time of year and aircraft type. Best advice, if you find a fare with dates and times that work for you, jump on it.

Old 10-24-2021, 12:50 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,957,790 times
If you book a standard economy ticket (NOT a ticket sold as basic economy) directly with the airline, both Delta and United have a way now for you to switch to a different lower priced ticket without a change fee and be refunded the difference with a voucher for further travel on that airline. American is probably similar but I didn’t check their current rules.

So if you’d fly once or twice more in the 9-12 months surrounding the Norway trip, there’s not much reason to hold back now since you can effectively get a refund if there’s a big drop in price.

I’ve had a number of $30-$50 Delta credits from rebooking cheaper since the new policies kicked in

Just read the fine print before buying and stay away from basic economy

Old 10-25-2021, 08:18 PM

4,278 posts, read 8,209,976 times
It really depends.. We just bought First Class Flights from CLE-MIA-Quito for August and they were around 900 apiece.

Old 10-26-2021, 01:46 PM

17,743 posts, read 15,512,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
It really depends.. We just bought First Class Flights from CLE-MIA-Quito for August and they were around 900 apiece.

I actually was just looking at tickets to Cleveland.. Southwest I could actually get GSP to CLE for like $79 each way.

The flights kinda suck tho. The only options for the return is through BWI and it's one flight option.

Not sure why Cleveland is so cheap.

Old 10-26-2021, 10:47 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,734,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If you book a standard economy ticket (NOT a ticket sold as basic economy) directly with the airline, both Delta and United have a way now for you to switch to a different lower priced ticket without a change fee and be refunded the difference with a voucher for further travel on that airline. American is probably similar but I didn’t check their current rules.

So if you’d fly once or twice more in the 9-12 months surrounding the Norway trip, there’s not much reason to hold back now since you can effectively get a refund if there’s a big drop in price.

I’ve had a number of $30-$50 Delta credits from rebooking cheaper since the new policies kicked in

Just read the fine print before buying and stay away from basic economy
I just went to the United site and found this: "We’re allowing changes without a fee for international travel if the ticket is issued by December 31, 2021. Basic Economy tickets can only be changed if they’re issued by December 31, 2021, for travel commencing by December 31, 2021."

This wouldn't help me for international travel in August of 2022.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel