Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 02:37 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,667,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Flying was already miserable and it is much worse now. The flying public is crazier than ever and I don't want to wear a mask for hours on end. Not something I would do unless there was no way around it.

There is risk of buying flight tickets and reserving lodging and then having borders closed before you get there and not getting refunds.

Seriously, OP, if you are worried about a fever, take a couple of aspirin an hour before landing. I am assuming that you would not try to fly when you are actually sick.

There are wonderful places to see inside the borders of the USA. Travel domestically and don't worry about how other countries are handling their quarantines.
That's what happened to us last year. Lost over $4,000 through VRBO; still fighting it. Borders closed at the last minute and credit voucher/refund not honored.

I wouldn't go---not for a long time. I don't trust any hotel or rental owner now and I'm sure travel insurance would find a way to wiggle out (that happened to us too).

And that's before the misery of 12 hrs. or more (we had 25 hours coming back, all in a mask) in a mask with out-of-control passengers. No thanks!

This has really changed me; I lived for travel before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 03:09 PM

5,252 posts, read 3,617,096 times
I just canceled a trip on Labor Day but covid wasn't the major issue for me, I have 2-3 financial/legal things coming up through the beginning of the new year & thought being in country would be wiser in case of problems. But when I set that date I figured we would be sunsetting covid.

I have been watching the occasional walking tour on Youtube of my destinations & it is sad to see all the empty sidewalks & closed businesses. I don't think I'll miss that nor being there for the winter time so spring is better & I hope covid will be waning by then. Being on planes overnight & also having an airport layover is unsettling. I'm hoping the airlines will ban the non-vaccinated from flying in the near future.

Old 09-14-2021, 03:24 PM

24,565 posts, read 18,309,279 times
I was more confident traveling in June when Pfizer had 90% efficacy and 95% efficacy against symptomatic infection. Then the Israeli data came out that Delta and 6 months after vaccination, efficacy dropped to 39%. I'm unlikely to land in the hospital but a couple weeks of quarantine when it's not at home in my living room would kind-a suck.

Assuming jab #3 happens and the data is right where efficacy is bumped back to almost 90%, I'd be more likely to fly internationally. We normally do Christmas in Vancouver and fly back on the 26th. We will have to think that one over because we'd have to get tested on the way back into the United States and it's tough to get lab work done at Christmas/Boxing Day.

Old 09-14-2021, 06:36 PM

16,427 posts, read 12,539,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There is risk of buying flight tickets and reserving lodging and then having borders closed before you get there and not getting refunds.
That's what CFAR travel insurance is for.

Old 09-14-2021, 06:48 PM

30,663 posts, read 18,282,617 times
I will say that the uncertainty over whether I'll be able to execute travel as anticipated--whether within the country or overseas--does concern me. I was in Honolulu last week. I had the trip planned for months, but--due to the increase in hospitalizations and the such (overwhelmingly among unvaccinated residents) the Hawaii governor was pleading for tourists not to come. And there was talk of a possible shut down. Had I not already taken the gamble and booked my trip months prior, I probably would have decided against the trip this go around. Note, I already had my 2020 trip to Honolulu canceled due to the pandemic.

Old 09-15-2021, 12:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,150,330 times
21 trips booked at the moment.

Certainly not afraid of flying, far safer than driving... Flight / airports are quite Covid aware and precautions taken and acknowledged by most passengers. Airlines and the travel industry has a lot invested in safe travel. Too bad passengers and clients are so trite. What we know about Covid spread should be well understood... Need a 10 question test to be allowed to travel or interface with the public... and free quick tests available to all daily.

Not keen on quarantine, but that potential disruption does not restrict my travel. (Odds are very slim, precautions very easy and effective. Risk is there, but some risk is normal in all of life. There are a lot of very poorly informed US citizens.

Old 09-15-2021, 06:00 AM

535 posts, read 611,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
there's tons of hotels to stay in, even 5-stars.
Why does this seem to be such a shock to you?

Old 09-15-2021, 07:08 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,083,944 times
I'm going on a work trip to Germany in a couple of weeks, and so far, no quarantine is currently required for those of us who are vaccinated. My only concern are potential shifting restrictions and last-minute border closures. Also, I'm not enthused about having to get a COVID test before returning to the US and possibly being stuck in a hotel.

I would otherwise not plan an overseas trip right now if it was on my own dime. Too much heightened risk of cancellations, and there are plenty of wonderful places in the US without that nonsense.

Old 09-15-2021, 07:53 AM

4,243 posts, read 4,756,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I will say that the uncertainty over whether I'll be able to execute travel as anticipated--whether within the country or overseas--does concern me. I was in Honolulu last week. I had the trip planned for months, but--due to the increase in hospitalizations and the such (overwhelmingly among unvaccinated residents) the Hawaii governor was pleading for tourists not to come. And there was talk of a possible shut down. Had I not already taken the gamble and booked my trip months prior, I probably would have decided against the trip this go around. Note, I already had my 2020 trip to Honolulu canceled due to the pandemic.
Overall how was your visit to Hawaii?

Old 09-15-2021, 08:02 AM

11,147 posts, read 9,784,266 times
I am still holding back on air travel. The close quarters, even masked and with air filtration, is still too much risk for me. I traveled in June cross country, after vaccination, and before the delta variant started to spread. So I squeaked in one trip under the wire, but I won't fly again until this variant dies down, and I get my 3rd shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel