Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 04:59 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,796,338 times

Advertisements

Was thinking of a winter trip starting in NYC, then onto Philly and ending in DC all using public transport. Requesting some comment on the logistics of this trip. Out of these cities I've only been to NYC. Plan to do this trip from Nov 19-28.

Fly open jaw DFW-NYC, IAD-DFW

2 days in NYC
>> catch Amtrak to Philly (1.5hrs)
2 days in Philly
>> catch Amtrak to DC (2 hrs)
2 days in DC

How is public transport around Philly and DC? I have never traveled by Amtrak before, are tickets booked before hand, if so how far out in advance?

Last edited by k374; 08-22-2021 at 06:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2021, 08:48 PM

17,606 posts, read 15,284,873 times
DC is pretty nice.. Metro there is clean and, while it won't get you EVERYWHERE, it'll get you everywhere in DC proper and some areas in NoVA and MD.

That's speaking exclusively to the subway, which is "Metro" there. The buses and commuter rail can get you about anywhere you might want to go. But 2 days.. Hell. You can spend that in DC proper and not see everything.

No idea about Philly.

As for Amtrak.. Yeah, it's best to book ahead. While it's unlikely that you'd be unable to get from NYC to Philly or Philly to DC.. It's possible the train you want might be booked.

Old 08-22-2021, 08:56 PM

130,487 posts, read 12,130,332 times
years ago we took a train from Philly to NYC. ( train) I think if you are not in a hotel near some sites you can uber it. Definitely dobale.

Old 08-22-2021, 10:20 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,172,710 times
100% the easiest region to do a carless visit in North America. I've visited all three cities several dozen times without a car (most recently was NYC for 2 weeks in June and Philly for 5 days this month), and done at least half a dozen trips that included combinations of the above without a car and I'd say that almost every type of traveler profile would be able to have an enjoyable visit. Not only are all three cities good or great for carless living, not only do they have very convenient train and bus connections between them, but they're all very well-designed for tourists specifically.

That said, the only hesitation I would have is to question whether you really enjoy being on the go (ie, not relaxing) and if you travel light. Because a 9-day trip split between three major cities is packing a lot into a short time, plus you'll be lugging your bags around for multiple moves, plus it will be getting pretty cold by then. So that's just something to think about. And each of these cities offers quite a lot to see and do.

But to answer your headline question, easily doable without a car! Probably much easier than having a car actually.

Old 08-22-2021, 10:56 PM

5,767 posts, read 11,384,460 times
It is preferable, not just possible! Public transit is crowded at certain times in these cities which is still a risk due to Covid. I would avoid peak commute hours on public transit if possible.

If possible, pack light and compact. Big, heavy suitcases will make it more difficult to get from A to B. If you can fit everything into one backpack per person, even better. A carry-on type suitcase with good-rolling wheels is probably OK too. November temperatures can vary a lot, so layers are needed to handle some cold temps too.

Old 08-23-2021, 04:47 AM

43,695 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Philly has a subway system (SEPTA). So it shouldn't be a problem to get around without a car.

Also technically one take a NJ Transit train from NYC to Trenton, NJ and from there take a SEPTA train to Philly. It is cheaper than Amtrak but takes a lot longer and is more of hassle than Amtrak (from my past research).

Old 08-23-2021, 06:44 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,131,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Was thinking of a winter trip starting in NYC, then onto Philly and ending in DC all using public transport. Requesting some comment on the logistics of this trip. Out of these cities I've only been to NYC. Plan to do this trip from Nov 19-28.

Fly open jaw DFW-NYC, IAD-DFW

2 days in NYC
>> catch Amtrak to Philly (1.5hrs)
2 days in Philly
>> catch Amtrak to DC (2 hrs)
2 days in DC

How is public transport around Philly and DC? I have never traveled by Amtrak before, are tickets booked before hand, if so how far out in advance?

This is definitely a trip where having a car would be a real burden; Amtrak is DEFINITELY the way to go.

The Acela is the fastest way to travel between NYC, Philadelphia and DC, but if you want a really nice way to travel, book a private room on one of the few Amtrak trains between NYC, Philadelphia and DC (southbound only) that has one (the Cardinal, Crescent, Silver Star and Silver Meteor do); it's about the same price as the Acela and is a wonderful way to travel. I would definitely book as far in advance as possible at amtrak.com. Northeast Direct and other regular Amtrak trains are fine, but the Acela and private room trains are nicer.

Philadelphia has SEPTA and Washington has a subway and MARC and VRE, which are commuter railroads, plus extensive bus systems.

Old 08-23-2021, 06:54 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Two years ago, DH insisted we take Amtrak from Raleigh to NYC. He apologized for most of the plane ride home.

Old 08-23-2021, 07:35 AM

16,424 posts, read 12,525,969 times
Is there any particular reason for those 3 cities? I would consider picking just two.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:02 AM

27,583 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
It's a good plan during normal times, but keep in mind we are still in the middle of coronavirus. So, there are going to be travel restrictions and tourist destinations may be closed or have restricted hours.

Also, be prepared for cold temperatures during that time. Even snow is possible. You might consider doing the trip in October when temperatures are more comfortable. I recommend doing a double-decker tour of NYC and Philadelphia. That is the best way to get an overview of those cities. Most of the sites you will want to see in DC are near the National Mall.

On the other hand, if you can only do the trip in late November, then try to stay in NYC for Thanksgiving and catch the Macy's Parade. You don't want to miss that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel