Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 07:14 AM

16,435 posts, read 12,597,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
many RVs have running water, flush toilets, and showers. Some even have two bathrooms and a washer and dryer.
Not the ones that you can book for less than the price of a hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So, why is that "price gouging"?
It's not. Apparently people think that price gouging is just charging more than they're willing to pay. They don't know that it has a more specific meaning.

Old 07-21-2021, 08:25 AM

230 posts, read 120,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So, why is that "price gouging"?
Price gouging refers to when a business takes advantage of people by charging exorbitant insane prices.

Examples using a generic date of Monday Sept. 20th:
Asheville NC - Cambria at $276 with tax; Kimpton at $335 with tax
Chattanooga - Spring Hills Suites at $269 with tax; DoubleTree at $219 with tax

These hotels are twice what they were not that long ago. A Westin we stayed at for $98/night (pre-tax) in a middle/large midwestern city in early June is now $189 pre-tax and it is an older property with mixed reviews, not an elite example of that chain by any stretch.

Old 07-21-2021, 08:41 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,920,504 times
Price gouging is when someone runs up prices of necessary goods during a time of emergency. In most places, it has a specific legal definition. So unless right now you're talking something like hotels raising prices to take advantage of people fleeing from an active giant wildfire or hurricane, it's not price gouging; it's the free market at work.

Old 07-21-2021, 08:49 AM

8,530 posts, read 6,959,394 times
Better defined as making up for lost profits during Covid. It’s happening across the board with everything thing we purchase.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Apparently people think that price gouging is just charging more than they're willing to pay.
I certainly do think that. When you read the horrible reviews of many expensive big-name hotels for what they are charging especially.

quote:

Maybe back in the day this was a four star hotel. It is in some serious need of remodel. Pealing wallpaper and paint. Stains on carpets and furniture. Does not add up to $407 a night standards. The phots on there website a defiantly from their hay day. For a ********** I was deeply disappointed.

Front desk unresponsive via room phone • Toilets are old and overflow easily • Damp bed sheets • Slow and spotty internet • Guests are kicked out of the pool area before sunset • Food prices are out of control. ($36 for Cheerios and a Latte)

The ******* has gone down, Ghetto, waisted 300$. It smells like a run-down retirement home, our room had the molding tapped to the wall to keep it from falling. The pool has broken fixtures hanging on by the electrical wires.

Staff at check-in was not friendly or helpful at all, actually rude!! Property was very outdated. Musty smells in hallways. Toilet did not flush well, shower handle was broken and vent inside the shower was dirty. Was too pricey for what they had to offer. Definitely the worst hotel stay i ever had. Don't go there!!!

Air conditioner was not working,** when I spoke with the front desk they told me the whole building was out but the hallways had cold air.

**Atlanta in July - no A/C in a place charging $215/night with tax.

This place is downright shabby and yet they are charging full rates and representing it to be a nice hotel. The hallways look like a rundown tenement. The rooms are spacious but things are broken and they come dirty, as if they were not actually cleaned after the previous guests left. The balcony door was bolted shut so could not be used. Housekeeping service was requested but never came. Not once. It's literally the hotel equivalent of a slumlord operation. I will never use this hotel again.

Don’t even think about taking the stairs because they look like the background for a horror movie. The hallways look like they belong in government housing. The appliances in the suite were disgusting and there’s tons of reviews about this place having be’s bugs so we were nervous to put our luggage anywhere in the room. The bathroom had chipped paint and rust. The balconies were inaccessible, which is a good thing considering how unstable they looked, but that should be fixed. The cleanliness in the pictures are all lies. The place is gross and you shouldn’t go.

It was mold in the room. The room was nasty and got moved to another nasty room. Marijuana smoke through out the hotel. Employees were rude and high off marijuana. I’ll never visit that place ever again.

{sorry about the poor spelling and grammar on the quotes... I left them verbatim}

Last edited by smittydore; 07-21-2021 at 09:57 AM..

Old 07-21-2021, 09:54 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,150,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittydore View Post
I certainly do think that. When you read the horrible reviews of many expensive big-name hotels for what they are charging especially.
But, again, as she told you, "price gouging" has an actual legal definition. It's not whatever you "certainly do think" it is.

Old 07-21-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
But, again, as she told you, "price gouging" has an actual legal definition. It's not whatever you "certainly do think" it is.
Since I am not in a court of law, the legal definition make no difference to me. If you want to call what these disappointing formerly nice back-in-the-day properties have turned into, failing to live up to their brand names while charging ridiculous rates... then go ahead and call it something else.

Some terms that could be possibly used in lieu of "price gouging" include:

rip-off
overcharging
bait & switch
gyp
fleece

Old 07-21-2021, 11:02 AM

23,176 posts, read 12,299,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post

The legal definition is only relevant to legal action. I haven't seen anyone calling for attorney generals to prosecute hotel and restaurant owner for high prices. The popular definition is whatever people want it to be and most consider it to be charging much higher prices without an underlying basis in cost to rake in high profits. And that definition is suitable for consumer boycotting and social media shaming of those businesses.

Old 07-21-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The legal definition is only relevant to legal action. I haven't seen anyone calling for attorney generals to prosecute hotel and restaurant owner for high prices. The popular definition is whatever people want it to be and most consider it to be charging much higher prices without an underlying basis in cost to rake in high profits. And that definition is suitable for consumer boycotting and social media shaming of those businesses.
But in many (most?) states, when you accuse a business of price gouging, you're accusing them of illegal practices, regardless of whether or not there's going to be legal action. If you aren't suggesting what they're doing is illegal (which it's not in this case), then it's best to use a different term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel