Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2021, 08:00 AM

3 posts, read 5,072 times

Advertisements

We'll be driving a 26' Penske Moving Truck from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho to our new house in Traverse City, Michigan. Google Maps shows the quickest route going through the upper peninsula of Michigan. A similar timed route is south through SD and across skirting Chicago and around the western shoreline side of Michigan. Has anyone traveled either of these routes (specifically the northern one) and can speak to which one they'd recommend traveling with a moving truck? Thanks in advance for any insight!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 11:37 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,524,609 times
I've done it. IMHO, though it can be boring at times between Fargo and Mackinac, you're better sticking with the northern route. There is too much risk of traffic delays due to construction or accidents if going through Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago and northern Indiana.

Old 06-30-2021, 01:42 PM

We're not worried about "boring". Easy and less complications sounds perfect! Thanks for the feedback.

Old 06-30-2021, 03:54 PM

7,523 posts, read 13,642,700 times
By all means avoid going around the south end of Lake Michigan. That area is a "choke point" for E-W truck traffic, and is a nightmare on a good day.

And the route signage can be misleading. BTDT :-(

Also, you could consider crossing the lake on the Ludington ferry :-)

https://goo.gl/maps/R2nA68G3sTtuAzzS7

https://www.ssbadger.com/

It does take large vehicles, but really won't save much time or expense. (Unless you were starting out in Milwaukee or something.

Old 07-01-2021, 04:25 AM

3,249 posts, read 6,309,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdatotc View Post
We'll be driving a 26' Penske Moving Truck from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho to our new house in Traverse City, Michigan. Google Maps shows the quickest route going through the upper peninsula of Michigan. A similar timed route is south through SD and across skirting Chicago and around the western shoreline side of Michigan. Has anyone traveled either of these routes (specifically the northern one) and can speak to which one they'd recommend traveling with a moving truck? Thanks in advance for any insight!
The northern route will go through remote areas on two lane roads. I do not like these roads for night driving.

https://goo.gl/maps/VnyQjMMLFKNbJihYA

I would consider sticking to the interstates.

Look at taking the 90 all the way to Rockford, then 39 South to 80 East to 94 East into Michigan. This route adds some extra miles but its all interstate highway. It avoids almost all of Chicago. It also avoids the small country roads through remote areas.

Going around Chicago on a Sunday morning is probably the best time.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
The northern route will go through remote areas on two lane roads. I do not like these roads for night driving.

https://goo.gl/maps/VnyQjMMLFKNbJihYA

I would consider sticking to the interstates.

Look at taking the 90 all the way to Rockford, then 39 South to 80 East to 94 East into Michigan. This route adds some extra miles but its all interstate highway. It avoids almost all of Chicago. It also avoids the small country roads through remote areas.

Going around Chicago on a Sunday morning is probably the best time.

Thanks for the detailed route info and insight! I really appreciate it.

Old 07-04-2021, 07:44 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,511,483 times
Nothing wrong with two lane roads. I live in an area where the nearest 4 lane road is an hour away. No problem driving locally. The major roads are wide, with generous breakdown lanes. Traffic is just not heavy enough to justify 4 lanes. It would be the same in the UP of Michigan. We call it heavy traffic when we have a vehicle in front of us.

Having lived in and around Chicago several times, I would avoid at all costs traversing the Chicago area or northern Indiana. You'll be hit with big tolls, unpredictable traffic jams, and having to deal with other crazy drivers cutting in front of you constantly. Givbe me a two lane road in a sparsely settled area anytime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel