Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 08:09 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,244,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Does anyone have any experience with renting a car with the shortage going on?

I have a trip planned to Alaska in late June and I'd hate to get up there only to find out that they don't have a car waiting for me. I guess I should call a day or two before to make sure they'll have one ready.
We also are going to Alaska June 30th. We did our rental car months ago. Now youre making me worried it wont be there when we get there. Funnily enough there is a rental place at ANC airport and another one about a mile away. We rented from the one down the road which hopefully will have a car for us, it was also significantly cheaper.

Never rent from the airport if at all possible. We have 5 people and my sister is coming too and has 6 people. If they dont have vans for us we will be stranded and our destination is hours from Anchorage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 08:26 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,503 times
There are several used car rental places as well as the nationals. Check Turo as well.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:28 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,514,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'm renting a car next month from Santa Monica to Kansas City over 2 weeks. I got it for about $800.. Prepaid.. Rented back in February.

I'm concerned about getting there and them saying "We don't have a car"

I can work with them a bit tho.. I am renting from a non-airport location, so I hope that will be an advantage.
Yes, I have prepaid vehicles before, and still got shafted when the time came to go there to get the car....

Old 05-12-2021, 12:28 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,646,068 times
https://youtu.be/A7uvttu8ct0

Old 05-12-2021, 01:58 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
Just read an article about car renting...maybe this morning's NYT. It specifically focused on Alaska. Tone was really poor...reservations, but no cars. trying to buy cars and get them on site, but not very fortunate with manufacturers unable to produce.

I would get on the horn with the local counter every couple of days, and every day before you get there, and make sure they know your name...on a first name basis...and make sure they know to hold a car for you.

Good luck. This article read very poorly.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:01 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Patience is a virtue at that point. Luckily.. I'm going to Santa Monica and it's a vacation drive along Route 66.. If I had to spend an extra day there.. Wouldn't be the end of the world.

More than that.. I'd start getting upset probably.

yelling and screaming won't make a car appear. My tact will be that i'm the one NOT yelling and screaming should it happen.
There are only "bits and pieces" of Route 66 left over. Since you're coming from far away, you'll want to take a side trip up/down Route 1, while it's still open. Go as far as Oregon. Trust me on this one.

Based on your name, here, you're an enthusiast.

So, here you go...

www.myscenicdrives.com

www.madmaps.com

www.butlermaps.com

You might want to rent a Vette. They get really decent mileage, and handle a lot better than a Camry. (They also "GO" when you push the loud pedal.) Camry's do not.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:51 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
We also are going to Alaska June 30th. We did our rental car months ago. Now youre making me worried it wont be there when we get there. Funnily enough there is a rental place at ANC airport and another one about a mile away. We rented from the one down the road which hopefully will have a car for us, it was also significantly cheaper.

Never rent from the airport if at all possible. We have 5 people and my sister is coming too and has 6 people. If they dont have vans for us we will be stranded and our destination is hours from Anchorage.
My suggestion is to call the office days a few times and make sure they have cars. I'm not getting on that plane unless there is a guarantee a car will be waiting for me.

I might even call a few hours before my flight leaves and ask "I'm going to be at your office in about 8 hours. Will a car be waiting for me?"

It's a long flight to end up without a rental car. I don't want to spend my entire trip Ubering around Anchorage lol

Old 05-14-2021, 09:15 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,127,528 times
While we have doubled booked hotels before with some allowing cancelation up to 4 PM the day of I wonder if you can double book for car rentals. We have never ever had to do this but that might be something to look into.

I think with Alaska Cruises not happening and instead people flying in I don't think that would work there but maybe at larger airports domestically you could look into double booking for safety.

Old 05-14-2021, 03:05 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
While we have doubled booked hotels before with some allowing cancelation up to 4 PM the day of I wonder if you can double book for car rentals. We have never ever had to do this but that might be something to look into.

I think with Alaska Cruises not happening and instead people flying in I don't think that would work there but maybe at larger airports domestically you could look into double booking for safety.

I'd love to double book to make sure I have a rental, but right now it appears that there are absolutely ZERO rental cars available through the major outlets in Anchorage the days of my stay.

Old 05-15-2021, 06:05 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Due to the price/scarcity of rental cars, I'm hearing of people renting U-Hauls for $39/day, and just using those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel