Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 09:27 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,595,151 times

Advertisements

I love France. French people are so, well, French. Which is a thing in itself that everyone fits.

Colombia is by far my favorite Latin American -- the one Latin country that is inward-looking and proud of its Latin-American-ness.

Iran may be my favorite country in the world. A country where people treat each other with respect and dignity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 09:47 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post

Iran may be my favorite country in the world. A country where people treat each other with respect and dignity.
ARE YOU SERIOUS??? Iran law requires women to wear a hajib and loose clothing in public.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:01 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,595,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
ARE YOU SERIOUS??? Iran law requires women to wear a hajib and loose clothing in public.
Is Iran the only country you have been in, that requires women to cover body parts in public?

Old 05-08-2021, 07:19 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,807 times
I'd been to Paris twice before when I went back for a couple of days in 2018- side trip form Edinburgh. I avoided all the tourist spots- the Louvre and the d'Orsay had been jammed on my last visit, I noted a sidewalk cafe offering onion soup for 9 Euros... no, thanks. I walked a lot, admiring the beautiful old architecture and people-watching. That's the way to do it!

Old 05-08-2021, 07:40 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Is Iran the only country you have been in, that requires women to cover body parts in public?
It's certainly not the only country that requires women to cover, but it is the only one your specifically mentioned.

And just because other countries do it, that doesn't make it any more respectful. Any country that requires me to cover up before I even get off the plane is not one I consider to be a "country where people treat each other with respect and dignity."

Old 05-08-2021, 08:06 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It's certainly not the only country that requires women to cover, but it is the only one your specifically mentioned.

And just because other countries do it, that doesn't make it any more respectful. Any country that requires me to cover up before I even get off the plane is not one I consider to be a "country where people treat each other with respect and dignity."

Old 05-08-2021, 09:17 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,938,725 times
Tijuana, yeah its got lot of murders per year but stick to normal areas where cartels are not duking it out and its awesome.

Old 05-08-2021, 10:30 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,807 times
I ventured to Mexico for my first time in 2019. I was wary because of all the headlines but I was taking a small-ship cruise near the Baja Peninsula and the Sea of Cortes. SO much natural beauty. We were docked in La Paz for awhile and I enjoyed walking around and admiring all the flowers. I had ice cream at a place patronized by a lot of families. The area clearly catered to American expats (there was a freebie paper called "The Gringo Gazette") so maybe that wasn't the "real" Mexico, but it was a pleasant surprise.

Old 05-08-2021, 10:43 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
I wish so many Americans were not so negative about France. I've been there three times in the last six years and I have not encountered any issues with the people there. The USA has a long history with France. It was money and support from France that helped us successfully carry out the American Revolution. We were there for France in 1917 in World War I to support them. We also helped liberate France from the nazis during World War II. When you walk around Paris, you will begin to realize how much our countries are intertwined. Streets are named after American presidents. McDonalds is on the Champ Elysees. I cannot help, but believe that both America and France would be stronger if we looked towards one another for support and assistance rather than to spend our time criticizing one another.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:31 AM

3,053 posts, read 2,028,840 times
I'd love to get a rail pass for Netherlands-France-Spain-Portugal and get on/off and visit towns as I felt like it. But the airplane to get there ugh. We visited parts of Italy and England by train and car in earlier days, some parts with friends, but doing it alone would be even better IMO, not sure spouse would be interested but he'd come anyway to make sure I was safe lol.

Are Americans negative about France? Hadn't heard that, where does this sentiment appear? I can make an effort to speak a little French but poor hearing would put me at a bad place at understanding the answers, pretty much like being in US wearing a mask and trying to decipher what is being said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel