Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 07:25 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,645,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
There are some good chinese reataurants in London, and in recent decades the traditional Hong Kong Catomese has been displaced by new Chinese immigrants from across China, whilst authentic Chinese food is growing in popularity. Whilst Dim Sum remains a popular dish, there is now a much greater variety and choice in terms of Chinese styles of cooking.

London's Best Chinese Restaurants | 32 Cracking Chinese - Time Out

Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese restarants etc have also grown substantially and London now has restaurants representing most of the globe.

Sure, but the average neighborhood Chinese food anywhere in the UK is really lousy. Compared to the west coast of North America where there's good Asian on every street corner, the UK and London is a vastly inferior dining scene. Indian is typically reliable. Chinese without doing some massive internet search and cross referencing reviews which usually have tons of conflicts usually ends up with a really poor meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 07:56 AM

27,923 posts, read 14,141,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Sure, but the average neighborhood Chinese food anywhere in the UK is really lousy. Compared to the west coast of North America where there's good Asian on every street corner, the UK and London is a vastly inferior dining scene. Indian is typically reliable. Chinese without doing some massive internet search and cross referencing reviews which usually have tons of conflicts usually ends up with a really poor meal.
There are some good local chinese takeaways in the UK, just as there are good Indian takeaways, it's just a matter of looking at reviews and word of mouth. Whilst most large cities have good restaurants.

I really don't think US Chains such as Panda Express are anything to shout about, and the more expensive US chain P.F Chang's now has a London outlet.

Whilst the growing popularity of Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese etc, has seen a decline in Chinese food sales in the UK. You can also add to this the fact that delivery apps have driven a lot of change, as people in many areas now just order takeways via their phones, and choice has never been greater.

I actually still prefer the local family Chinese and Indian restaurants, and certainly don't want them replaced by souless corporate chains and food apps.

UK restaurant diners snub pasta for hummus and jerk chicken - The Guardian

How Britain Fell Out of Love with the Chinese Takeaway - VICE

That is not to say that Chinese food in the UK isn't fighting back.

How London's Chinatown is changing - Big Hospitality

The UK's Chinese food revolution | Fuchsia Dunlop | The Guardian

Chinese Food in Britain Has Come a Long Way Since the 80s - Huffington Post

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-04-2019 at 09:08 AM..

Old 11-04-2019, 08:53 AM

13,257 posts, read 23,079,433 times
I will admit to a bizarre love of the Wagamama chain. Yeah it's not really authentic but it's tasty and I've never had a bad meal in one. ☝️

Old 11-04-2019, 09:09 AM

27,923 posts, read 14,141,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I will admit to a bizarre love of the Wagamama chain. Yeah it's not really authentic but it's tasty and I've never had a bad meal in one. ☝️

Waggamama are one of the better chains, however proper Japanese Chains such as Coco Ichibanya are now expanding to the US and UK.

Curry House Ichibanya UK Japanese Restaurant London WC2H

As for Dumplings, Taiwanese chain Din Tai Fung has now also opened in London, as has Monga Chicken, whilst you can also by curry puffs from Singapore chain Old Chang Kee which has also opened in London.

Din Tai Fung, the best dumpling chain in the world, just opened in London (and the queues are massive) - The i (2018)

Taiwan's Monga Fried Chicken are opening their first UK branch in London's Chinatown

Old Chang Kee

A few other notable chains -

Rosa's Thai Cafe | Modern Thai Restaurants

Giggling Squid | Staggeringly good Thai food

Busaba | Thai Restaurant in London | Happiness, meet harmony

wagamama | home

Bone Daddies: Japanese Soul Food

Tonkotsu | Welcome

SHORYU RAMEN | Hakata Tonkotsu Ramen Bar

Fresh & Healthy Vietnamese Street Food - Pho Restaurants

Banana Tree: The Home of Indochinese Food

Dishoom Bombay Cafés

Mowgli Street Food | Fresh Indian home cooking

Comptoir Libanais: Lebanese Restaurants

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-04-2019 at 09:58 AM..

Old 11-05-2019, 10:32 AM

4,295 posts, read 4,840,780 times
Oh my....I had started to read some of the initial/first responses in this thread but forgot to come back.

I will definitely ready through all of them; I'm excited that hopefully some people have really good feedback on their experiences there

Old 11-06-2019, 05:01 AM

5,033 posts, read 5,795,673 times
I guess the way I'll sort of speak to London's greatness (IMO at least), is to compare it to other world cities you might be familiar with, and compare and contrast some of their elements.

Paris is a city where, I think you get much more of what you expect when visiting there (at least the first time, than you do with London). Paris might be a more aesthetically pretty/preserved city.. that said, it's also much less varied to me throughout. London has the feel of a number of different cities and periods in history (I believe that there were 31 independent cities that were thrown together under the name London, since London itself was originally just the square mile city.. there's Greenwich, Kensington, etc., that all have a quite different feel). It has a similar cultural prowess in the arts as Paris does IMO, and perhaps as good as anywhere for live arts (orchestra, theatre, etc.)

It has a similar level of international cosmopolitan feel, diversity, center of the universe-esque as NYC in certain parts (Canary Wharf, Piccadilly Circus etc.). However, in general, it is more spread out than NYC IMO. Whereas Manhattan is one constant hum of activity, London has different nodes, etc. that are spaced out by quiet parks, etc. I would also say it might be cleaner and safer feeling than NYC, and just overall have a more pleasant and welcoming public realm.

Like Rome, it has monuments, ancient sites, etc. that reflect the cities past, and to some degree, the layout of the city. However, obviously, London has also continued to reinvent itself. You can go from the Tower of London, and be in a hypermodern area within the next few minutes without much trouble at all.

It has some of the type of entertainment and film type stuff that a Los Angeles would have... but not to an obnoxious degree, and obviously, with much better public transit than there.

It has numerous hipster areas, and markets of all varieties spread throughout the city, in some cases each neighborhood has a produce market, but then there's the Columbia Flower Market, there's the Notting Hill Antiques Market.. this sounds funny, but this kind of calls to mind Mexico City for me.

Tokyo is perhaps a city that I would most directly group it with, which sounds funny, but I would say that in that it is IMO, a polycentric city that one can't necessarily immediately figure out at first glance, it has numerous hubs, often based upon rail (as both London, with the first underground, and Tokyo, rebuilding post war), I think had development heavily reflected around it's transit centers. That creates quiet spaces with parks, etc. away from those spaces.. and also creates a beautiful marriage of hypermodern and ancient... though in fairness London still has more preserved history than Tokyo does, and probably better public parks as well, though I didn't see quite as much of Tokyo's.

In a nutshell, there's a reason London is as hyped as it is. It is world class... in MANY regards. It is vibrant but at the same time more orderly and calm than some similarly sized areas. It is quite safe. A perfect example of London's cache would be to pick a district like say Kensington. Honestly, I would say compared to some more central districts, it is an afterthought for tourists/activity. That said, if you took the offerings of the Kensington/Chelsea borough ALONE... I think many would consider it a world class center. That is why London is one of the most exciting urban experiences on earth and people will continue to flock to it for a long time. That quote about "if a man is tired of London, they are tired of life" rings true. My dad, who has been to numerous world cities and anymore, is not frequently impressed, still discusses just how impressive a place it is.

Old 11-07-2019, 07:42 AM

44,266 posts, read 45,196,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I’ve suddenly become very interested in traveling here. I passed through once for only 24 hours. Visited London Bridge and Borough Market during a December trip.

May do a 1-2 week trip there. Prefer to travel in the fall but might be open to going next spring.

So what do you love about it? What did you not like so much? What time of year have you been? Favorite things to do? Experiences with the locals?

Love to hear about any/everything you’ve experienced there.
I spent a week in London this past September staying with cousins in the Swiss Cottage neighborhood which is a lovely historic building district. The London Underground is great for getting around the city although it is a bit expensive. I visited the Docklands London Museum (with free admission) which is in the renovated area of Canary Wharf which I highly recommend. Also if you would like to get a free view of the city from above, try to book a slot online in advance at the Sky Garden observatory lookout. I also enjoyed visiting Tate Britain which focuses on British Artists and is different than the Tate Modern Museum. I also visited the Imperial War Museum (with free admission) as I have interest in International Relations and the country's involvement in both world wars. One of my relatives took me to see Kew Gardens as well as the Freud Museum which also I found of interest. Another great thing to do in London is to see a show in London's West End and there were several shows that had discounted tickets for 25 Pounds Sterling plus tax.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:24 PM

7 posts, read 3,085 times
They have some free museums in london. There are some lovely walks around westminster, lots of interesting buildings to look at on the walking tours. Things like Big Ben, if you've heard of it?
Also check out tripadvisor website to see what activities you like the look of.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:03 AM

44,266 posts, read 45,196,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed30 View Post
They have some free museums in london. There are some lovely walks around westminster, lots of interesting buildings to look at on the walking tours. Things like Big Ben, if you've heard of it?
Big Ben was still under renovation in September and probably still is now.

I agree London has many free public museums. On a prior visit to London (approx. 15 years ago?!) I visited for free the British Museum, the Museum of London and the RAF (Royal Air Force) Museum.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:42 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,930,880 times
I don’t pay for museums in London, so many free ones, I have not been to Tate Modern for that reason. Just pop in for a few hours and then get something there to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel