Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 10:04 AM

5 posts, read 9,183 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I hope you can help me with my school project. I need to find some statistics on bicycling safety, specifically regarding accidents do to the fact people were using headphones and could not hear the motor vehicle traffic. I’m not sure where or how to acquire this information. My professor gave me this website in the hopes I can find the answer to my question. Thanks for your help.

MG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 12:49 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,128,141 times
For starters look for bicycle advocacy groups in your area (i.e. for CA California Bicycle Coalition). Such groups might help point you to other agencies where accident statistics are available. You might also check with the Federal Highway Administration, your state's department of transportation and highway patrol. Locally, check with the police department to see if they have statistics of bicycle accidents.

Non-scientific info to follow: I'm a fairly avid cross-town bicycle commuter for many years and to date have had very little trouble with cars. The best way to stay safe is to ride legally and predictably. Never ride on the sidewalk if there is room for you on the roadway. Always ride in the direction of traffic. At night, use lights -- VERY IMPORTANT! If riding on a street with cars parked parallel to the curb, do not weave in and out of spaces between parked cars; ride in a straight line along the parked cars, and always be aware of any parked cars that are occupied as they might either pull out in front of you or open a traffic-side door. Be prepared. Never zoom past a line of slow traffic or backed up cars. Car drivers sometimes do the weirdest things in these situations and could easily cut you right off. Slow your pace and be prepared to stop fast when car traffic is slow and heavy.

Notes on helmets and bright clothing: wear them no matter what. They have a psychological effect on car drivers to be safe around you. Your helmet and bright clothing communicates to them that you care about your own health and safety. Car drivers will pick up on this and want to keep you safe as well, even if only subconsciously.

Though on very rare occasions you might encounter a bonehead car driver who for some reason feels it's funny to intimidate a soft-target on a 20 pound bicycle, most car drivers will not bother you. In many cases bicycles actually scare car drivers because the don't want to hit you.

Bottom line: be seen, ride predictably and let your intentions be known. Hope this helps. Good luck and let us know how it goes with your project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel