Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 01:15 PM

3,613 posts, read 7,957,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Would never willingly go to Saudi Arabia. I’ve seen things there that left me horrified that such people still exist in the 20th century (was there in 1990 before Desert Storm). Unless you’re Muslim making the pilgrimage to Mecca there is no good reason to go to Saudi Arabia.

Well they do have public executions. A tourist could not see that just anywhere. I suppose Saudi Arabia could promote that, you know, schedule far enough in advance so people can schedule their trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 01:22 PM

17,669 posts, read 17,847,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Do you think it is different there now?
They still segregate men from women, they still treat women as less than human, they still buy young Muslim girls from poor Islamic countries to be used as slaves (sex for male relatives, punching bag for the female relatives), many male businessmen still refuse to conduct business with women, and the smallest infraction could result in a tourist to be sent to prison or have his or her hand or head chopped off with a sword in a crowded stadium of cheering Saudis.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:26 PM

6,831 posts, read 10,566,189 times
I've been there for the pilgrimage. I would not particularly want to ever go back. Very repressive, and as a woman there is no freedom and nothing to do but shop or sit with other women and gossip. I don't see it becoming a tourist place any time soon.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:33 PM

62,022 posts, read 87,719,267 times
I don't see why not. Some globetrotters who saw most of the interesting things around the world already surely will find something to see there. Those people who don't travel, or only occasionally and focus only on tourist attractions still have many places to explore.
And there are "travelers" who seem to be happy to virtually "travel" on Google maps.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/great...g-when-we.html

Pretty horrific thoughts, because I like and want to travel in reality, to personally experience other countries and places. There is more than to just to see.
There is culture, food, and interaction with others to experience. There is walking/driving, touching, smelling, tasting, hearing... But obviously, some people don't care much about it.

I visited several countries in North Africa but not Saudi Arabia, yet. However, it's on my bucket list and it seems interesting enough. To me.
Saudi Arabia used to be one of the world’s most inaccessible countries, but the new visa system is going to open the doors to tourism. I am glad they do.
Just forget the politics and you can relate to people all over the world. That applies to Saudi Arabia, too.

https://sauditourism.sa/ja/Pages/default.aspx

Old 05-17-2019, 02:59 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,791,761 times
I'll go there (maybe) when they publicly acknowledge their assassination of Jamal Kashoggi.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:05 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,959,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Well they do have public executions. A tourist could not see that just anywhere. I suppose Saudi Arabia could promote that, you know, schedule far enough in advance so people can schedule their trip.
So many other things to do in Saudi Arabia:
  • Legally beat your wife
  • Hire a slave for the week
  • Attend a stoning
  • Check out the latest in Burqa fashions.

Imagine the tourist brochure. You can see a public execution for full price, or discounted show for just a limb amputation by sword.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:27 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,457,721 times
I can't imagine ever going there - I'll not be a traitor to my own gender. They are a barbaric people - certainly their ruler(s) have proven themselves barbaric.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:31 PM

62,022 posts, read 87,719,267 times
^^^ There are "barbaric" rituals around the world. Depends on your view and classification.
Stoning - currently, stoning is legal in Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Yemen, United Arab Emirates, Sudan, Iran, and parts of Nigeria and is typically used as a punishment for adulterers. In Nigeria amputation for theft is perfectly acceptable; flogging and caning are common occurrences in Singapore. It didn't stop people from traveling there.
Witch hunts in New Guinea
Slavery - very common, in fact. Currently, there are between 10-30 million slaves worldwide - more than at any other single point in history. Yes, even during the eighteenth century—the zenith of the African slave trade—there were only six million slaves transported out of Africa. All across the globe, men, women, and children are abducted or tricked into capture and forced into debt slavery, the sex trade, and various other forms of exploitation.
In the US alone there are an estimated 100,000 children trapped in the sex trade; human trafficking worldwide has grown to a US$32 billion business, and is soon expected to surpass the drug trade. So, please, spare me with this BS.
Child-selling Hey, you can sell your child to get ...a (used) Miata...
http://www.childslavelabor.com/sell.html
Cannibalism - Again New Guinea ( and people travel there)
Human Sacrifice and tradition of Sati. Oh, that's in India and Uganda. People travel there...
Public Execution - Iran, China
Female Genital Mutilation It’s mostly done in parts of Africa and the Middle East
Blood Fiestas Involves whole towns coming out to inflict brutal, bloody pain on various animals - mostly cattle.
Spain has around 10- 20,000 blood fiestas per year, and they’re not the only ones; Portugal, Mexico, and Brazil all carry on the tradition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Would never willingly go to Saudi Arabia. I’ve seen things there that left me horrified that such people still exist in the 20th century (was there in 1990 before Desert Storm). Unless you’re Muslim making the pilgrimage to Mecca there is no good reason to go to Saudi Arabia.

Last edited by elnina; 05-17-2019 at 03:55 PM..

Old 05-17-2019, 03:37 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,431,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I can't imagine ever going there - I'll not be a traitor to my own gender. They are a barbaric people - certainly their ruler(s) have proven themselves barbaric.
I am not doubting that it’s barbaric there, but if that is the case, why are people not just leaving? Or do they not even have the freedom to just leave the country?

Sorry for my lack of being informed

Old 05-17-2019, 03:42 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,113,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ There are "barbaric" rituals around the world. Depends on your view and classification.
This. ^^

This thread clearly needs a dose of cultural relativity. Thank you for attempting to provide it. Unfortunately, quite a few folks are stuck in their negative and very narrow viewfinder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel