Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 01:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times

Advertisements

I would focus on where mom would REALLY like to go, then I would make the trip as comfortable and pleasant for her as possible.

I would go somewhere unique / special (and to her taste)

That may vary. But coming from TX... I would FLY someplace that I would be less likely to drive to in the next 10 yrs. (Such as far NE, SE, or SW or NW USA). Coming from TX... I would head anywhere but SE USA (Too much like TX) The others all have unique traits. Ask the DW what suits her.

Once you get through the hassle of getting to airport and checking in and clearing TSA.. the FLIGHT is a minor hassle and time sink.

As mentioned... I would book SWA, as things change... (kids get sick) and SWA is the ONLY carrier that allows you to rebook without a fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 09:16 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,168,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
Thank you, with the help of your advice we've narrowed it down to Denver and maybe San Diego. Do you know if there are any cities on the east coast that also may be good options?
Great. The advantage of those two options is that because of the climate and scenery you can guarantee you will at least feel like you are in a very different place from home. On the east coast...hmm...standout destinations to me are Savannah and Charleston. I really think DC is a great destination too even though it might feel a bit too big city for you. But none of those are "budget." Maybe some FL beach towns like Panama City, Clearwater, Palm Coast, etc.

Quote:
Is traveling with a baby as tourists really difficult to the point it's not worth it?
This all comes down to personality of the parents and of the baby. Absolutely it could be so horrendous that it isn't worth it. It could also be fine and enjoyable. I think more often than not it is the former. My wife and I are extremely seasoned travelers, but when we added a kid to the mix it was quite an adjustment. I'd say most of the time it was very manageable, a few times it was difficult but still worth it, and maybe on one or two occasions it felt like it wasn't worth it. But again, we were frequent travelers who knew the ropes and there was no learning curve with regards to travel.

There are three main factors in this question imo:

1) The travel portion - Baby may be ok or he may make the flight horrendous (ours took about 30 flights before turning 2 yo, and he fussed/cried on just three of those flights, which I'm told is extremely lucky)

2) Transportation/logistics/packing hassles - Bringing a car seat and either having to rent a car and drive everywhere, or installing it in a cab/uber and carrying it everywhere you go, or carrying a stroller on public transportation up and down the steps of the bus or subway. Bringing the diaper bag everywhere. Packing all the extra clothes for baby, pumps, and other items. I think having your own vehicle is the easiest way to go, but obviously in some destinations this is harder or less desirable.

3) Schedule - baby's schedule more or less cuts your activity schedule in half. With naptimes and early bedtimes we often only had half (or less) of the leisure time vs when we were childless and could go nonstop all day and night.

How each of these above factors plays out for you would tip the scales of whether it is worth it or not.

Quote:
How's Memphis?
I honestly do not have experience with Memphis. As I understand it, May is the time to go. It would probably be a good option in the sense of it being an easy driving city where renting a car makes sense. You have to drive to some of the tourist attractions in the region anyway. But Beale Street is probably not great with a baby, at least at night lol.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:45 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,611,841 times
Ha! I was going to suggest San Diego too, lovely & close to the ocean but the fact that it is close to Mexico too maybe is a bit same to SA?

East: Savannah, Charleston, DC (most sights are free, nice Metro for transport), New Orleans

Last edited by Hefe; 08-30-2018 at 10:31 AM..

Old 08-30-2018, 03:49 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,717,255 times
SoCal is a great choice, but it's not budget friendly.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:57 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,856,011 times
Memphis is not where I would go. It's okay for 2 days maybe, but generally was the least favorite city I've ever spent a leisurely couple of nights.

Washington DC? Lot's of free museums, can check out the WH, etc.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:02 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Washington DC? Lot's of free museums, can check out the WH, etc.
I couldn't even imagine doing all those museums with a 6 month old.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:27 PM

502 posts, read 392,122 times
Hey guys just an update, we decided against traveling anywhere this time. I guess we'll just wait until later on.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Hey guys just an update, we decided against traveling anywhere this time. I guess we'll just wait until later on.
Good choice...
Head to Fredericksburg / Luckenbach / Wimberley for nice day trip!

Really nice place to visit on Pearl Harbor Day 2018, early in the day for the WWII museum events, then later for the parade, and even later for 'Afterglow' & still can be home by midnight!
https://www.fredericksburg-texas.com...hristmasparade

The 'flight'?... How about next summer when it is great to FLEE Texas heat!

NE or NW USA or Canada or Alaska! (Great in August / Sept. ) Fresh berries / Salmon / 50 F nights for ez sleeping. no AC required!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel