Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 02:05 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,214,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Fair enough. I should have quit with my prior post.
No worries. I did somewhat consider it. Going to Vegas is generally pretty cheap, the Bellagio hotel does special things at Christmas and it would be open lol. I've been to Vegas twice and it was just okay. Not much of a gambler. Maybe someday I will take my son or he will go with friends. It's kind of one of those places that you feel the need to see at least once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 02:07 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,214,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
How about Santa fe, small historic city with lots of museums and it doesn't shut down for the holidays.
Sounds lovely. May consider it for the following year if I keep doing this.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,904 posts, read 58,628,661 times
Quote:
Fair enough. I should have quit with my prior post.
131 days till Christmas
Passports can be had < 10 days
<8 Hrs to Europe (overnight flights = no time lost)

ZERO days coming home from NZ

Happens everyday...

Maybe... just MAYBE there are 1m other readers looking for something to do for Christmas (somewhere, some time)
Maybe... just MAYBE, the OP has some latitude. for climate / and for Length of stay.

just Maybe... Happens everyday

Old 08-16-2018, 03:04 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,904 posts, read 58,628,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Thank you all so much for the suggestions and condolences. .... We actually flipped a coin and San Antonio won lol.

...So there will be stuff to see and I have always wanted to see the Alamo. Reading the replies made me feel good. Sometimes just thinking of going to different places helps. I did google and the San Antonio zoo is open on Christmas day along with some restaurants in the hotel we are staying at along with the river walk. I think we are covered.
San Antonio region at Christmas is splendid. (and somewhat magical)

Try to fit in the Hill Country Lighting Trail!
Hill Country Christmas Lighting Trail

Especially consider at least Fredericksburg (Comfort, TX is nearby / enroute & VERY nice too), Johnson City, and Wimberley. Boerne, Bandera, Dripping Springs, Marble Falls... all are very nice. (and within an hour)

The annual community Christmas memorial to Emily Ann is quite moving (HS gal lost in auto accident)
The EmilyAnn Theatre & Gardens, Wimberley, Texas - Trail of Lights in Central Texas

There are also winter light festivals at Incarnate Word Univ, nearby farms, and neighborhoods in SA.

For very interesting History and Arch... do the Mission Trail (5 missions in South of San Antonio)

Enjoy your trip, It can be good to get away and contemplate / reflect on losses. Sometimes alone, sometimes with family, sometimes with friends and even strangers. (I have done hospice care and elder care for decades, so realize we each have our unique path to healing, none are easy to find or to travel) A very good gal friend recently lost her husband to a bike accident and now her 21 yo son to cancer, so life does throw barriers.

Add Yellowstone to your future winter escape list! (Holidays book out quickly) Christmas in a National Park Lodge can be magical too. (Snow Cat ONLY access to Yellowstone / Old Faithful Lodge) Wildlife is very close to hot springs and great to see via snow mobile, snow shoeing, or XC ski.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-16-2018 at 03:17 AM..

Old 08-16-2018, 05:42 AM

19,483 posts, read 28,090,366 times
San Antonio!!! I've never been, so it didn't occur to me, but after thinking a bit, it 'feels' perfect.

One suggestion, from experience: Start looking for restaurants for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinner/brunch now (especially Christmas Day). The better places full up quickly, so make reservations.

Thank you for telling us about your special attachment to Savannah. Life can totally change in the blink of an eye. It's so terribly important to remember that fact, but usually forgotten. Bless you for sharing your pain with us - I think many of us are grateful.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:56 AM

11,854 posts, read 12,137,388 times
Quote:
Actually, I hadn't thought of that one and it's a good idea.
We did a few fun museums, the Mob Museum, the Neon Museum, which is the place where old Las Vegas signs go. No worries of anything being closed in Christmas. I love history and architecture but found Las Vegas the perfect distraction at such a sorrowful time.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:15 AM

2,515 posts, read 1,713,701 times
Mexico? One them all inclusive resorts

Old 08-16-2018, 06:53 AM

13,432 posts, read 28,862,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Thank you all so much for the suggestions and condolences. It's been one hell of a year. At first I was excited at the prospect but then became overwhelmed with picking the perfect place. I was putting too much pressure on myself.

So we narrowed it down to New York City (actually not that expensive surprisingly) or San Antonio TX (I found they do some pretty cool things with lights at the river walk and the zoo). We actually flipped a coin and San Antonio won lol.

I went ahead and booked it and feel relieved and somewhat excited again. We live in the midwest so we are used to the cold but it is appealing thinking of going someplace a bit warmer during that time of year. If It ends up being a bust, well it's the adventure of it all anyway, right? So there will be stuff to see and I have always wanted to see the Alamo. Reading the replies made me feel good. Sometimes just thinking of going to different places helps. I did google and the San Antonio zoo is open on Christmas day along with some restaurants in the hotel we are staying at along with the river walk. I think we are covered.

Your suggestions gave me some ideas for other trips. Thank you so much!
So glad you made a choice, enjoy your vacation and be kind to yourself as you have had one rough year. My condolences

Old 08-16-2018, 06:55 AM

8,105 posts, read 10,173,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Ive only been there once, but don't remember it being a popular place with 21 year olds. Is it a dry county still?

Google Pigeon Forge https://www.mypigeonforge.com/ and Sevierville Visit Sevierville Tennessee

From Mini Golf to Helicopter Rides to Paint Ball to Ripley's to Nascar to Ninja Warrior Park to Zip Lines to even Dollywood, if you can't find something to do there for a few days you need to restart your heart .

Old 08-16-2018, 09:27 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,985,893 times
Too late for this year as you've already made your plans, but Colonial Williamsburg is wonderful at Christmas, both visually, with beautiful decorations made of all-natural materials, and for activities of various kinds both during the day and evenings - see their website for more info. There are additional nearby historic sites and other attractions as well, and on Christmas Day, delicious dinners are available at the inns and restaurants. Consider it for next year.

This is going to be a difficult time, no matter where you are, so be kind to yourself. I am glad your son and you will be together, and hope you have a memorable and pleasant holiday get-away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel