Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 03:20 PM

5,033 posts, read 5,732,224 times

Advertisements

I think Queenstown, NZ unofficially has this title, and it does look nice, but I was just curious what everyone else thought. It can be as small or large as one would desire for a place to be, but I think criteria the place should have would be:

1. To at least some degree, an exotic feel (however defined)
2. Stunning natural scenery (mountains, beaches, rainforests, geology, deserts you have it, etc.)
3. A city that has a good bit to offer in it's own right (walkable, charming, historic, active social scene, etc.)
4. A city that has some stunning man made attractions within or near it (ruins, palaces, etc.)
If the place has regional proximity to other outstanding attractions from a built or man made perspective, that is a further bonus.

My nomination would probably be Cusco, Peru.
That said, I also thought about Marrakech, Morocco, and Kathmandu, Nepal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 07:10 PM

168 posts, read 166,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I think Queenstown, NZ unofficially has this title, and it does look nice, but I was just curious what everyone else thought. It can be as small or large as one would desire for a place to be, but I think criteria the place should have would be:

1. To at least some degree, an exotic feel (however defined)
2. Stunning natural scenery (mountains, beaches, rainforests, geology, deserts you have it, etc.)
3. A city that has a good bit to offer in it's own right (walkable, charming, historic, active social scene, etc.)
4. A city that has some stunning man made attractions within or near it (ruins, palaces, etc.)
If the place has regional proximity to other outstanding attractions from a built or man made perspective, that is a further bonus.

My nomination would probably be Cusco, Peru.
That said, I also thought about Marrakech, Morocco, and Kathmandu, Nepal.
Have you been to the three cities you nominate? I'm just curious because all three - in my opinion - happen to write-up/photograph well, but the reality, as I experienced it... That said, you might love them; they are not without some appeal. So, as I say, just curious.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:47 PM

5,272 posts, read 3,646,657 times
Moab, Utah hits several of your wants.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:11 AM

5,033 posts, read 5,732,224 times
What is it about those three that you weren’t so big on? I haven’t personally been, but of late especially, I’m an avid enjoyer of major bustling centers in spite of some cons (Mexico City and Beijing were about as good as it gets for me). That said, I didn’t pick them because the impression I have is those places would be too imposing for a number of travelers, and while there is plenty of adventure to be had around them, it strikes me that it would be more immediately visible and accessible in those places, more a part of the culture if you will and a regular infrastructure set up for backpackers/locals to enjoy alike.

Moab, while smaller, does cross a number of my boxes. It’s not so much super historic but it sounds interesting and a bit removed, and has immediate access to some of the world’s more impressive landscapes. I like the way the beginning (key word) of 127 Hours shows people enjoying the area.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:20 AM

5,272 posts, read 3,646,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post

Moab, while smaller, does cross a number of my boxes. It’s not so much super historic but it sounds interesting and a bit removed, and has immediate access to some of the world’s more impressive landscapes. I like the way the beginning (key word) of 127 Hours shows people enjoying the area.
I haven't seen 127 Hours yet. It may not be super historic but there are ancient Indian, mostly Anasazi, ruins & petroglyphs, etc., to be found around. One time I was out in the Escalante area somewhere & just stopped for a scenic photo & looking around I realized that the "random" impressions in the sandstone floor around me were actually 3-toed dinosaur tracks.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:24 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,632,883 times
Cusco isn't a bad nomination, it's hard to think of cities that fit the bill for every quality you listed and lots of it is pretty subjective.

Marrakech didn't really do it for me, the good natural scenery is farther south in Morocco and other cities like Fez are more charming.

Cool thread by the way

Old 07-20-2018, 09:25 AM

168 posts, read 166,677 times
After a bit of pondering, I'll nominate Santiago, Chile. It's a thriving city, but oh so close to both the Andes and the beaches of Valparaiso (if you like upscale or many others, if not). Also close (on a very scenic bus ride) to Mendoza, Argentina or Monte Verde

If you want more of a cultural experience and history, Djenné, Mali. It's short on nightlife, but blessedly free of the tourists that pass through Timbuktu (...just to say they have.) Taxis brousses provide regular service to Bamako (and Ouaga), if you run short on things to do, after-hours.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:03 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,489,000 times
I've been to Queenstown. The variety of adventure sports/activities is unmatched, especially when you consider that there's a ton of stuff during all four seasons.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:17 AM

11,152 posts, read 6,745,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Moab, Utah hits several of your wants.
Well, they do label themselves as such. I thought it was pretty adventurous, in my 10 years there.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:18 AM

74 posts, read 51,290 times
Hi cavsfan137,

I have visited Chile and Slovenia for adventure sports. These places are amazing.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel