Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 08:29 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,139,773 times

Advertisements

Food poisoning in Thailand, a virus in Mexico and the Caribbean. The worst was visiting Washington on a house hunting trip. Towards the end of the trip, I had a high fever, chills, and had to drive back to PDX in the aftermath of a freak snowstorm. I hadn’t driven in snow in a couple of decades, it was surreal.

There is nothing worse than sitting in an airport many miles from home, in a hard chair, sick and feverish, only to hear your flight has been delayed by a couple of hours. I kept dozing off and woke to see two guys on the opposite side looking at me with concern. I slept on the plane on the way home, was knocked out for about three weeks total. Spouse was mad because he had to take care of the horses. I’m allowed to have a couple sick days, then it’s back to what’s for dinner.

A portent of welcome to Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 01:38 PM

1,316 posts, read 750,665 times
Flying home after a 10-day trip to Italy. Starting feeling off in the airport in Milan & it was downhill from there. All the airports were on high-alert (it was just after the Brussles bombing), and we got through a lot of lines faster because I was so ill (nobody wanted a dead American on their hands, I think). On the flight from Paris into the US, I was seated in an interior seat in the middle section, and the woman next to me refused to get up when I needed to exit my seat. I had to tell her I was likely to vomit on her before she (reluctantly) moved. I have never been so sick in my life. I finally just locked myself in the bathroom and ignored any knocking. I get queasy just thinking about it. I barely remember the trip home at all.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:07 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,609,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Flying home after a 10-day trip to Italy. Starting feeling off in the airport in Milan & it was downhill from there. All the airports were on high-alert (it was just after the Brussles bombing), and we got through a lot of lines faster because I was so ill (nobody wanted a dead American on their hands, I think). On the flight from Paris into the US, I was seated in an interior seat in the middle section, and the woman next to me refused to get up when I needed to exit my seat. I had to tell her I was likely to vomit on her before she (reluctantly) moved. I have never been so sick in my life. I finally just locked myself in the bathroom and ignored any knocking. I get queasy just thinking about it. I barely remember the trip home at all.
I've never had a fellow passenger refuse to get up when I need to go ... I don't see how a fellow human can refuse to let someone use the restroom.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:44 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,367,735 times
I've been thinking hard, but can't remember anything worse than the first two nights I was in the US when I was attacked by bed bugs. Never having had any experience of them before that, it wasn't until the second day that a friend immediately recognised the bites on my face for what they were.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:52 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,242,126 times
In hospital for one week on IV, lost 10 lbs., in Portugal. I was in a place called Villa Nova Mille Fontes, a Portuguese tourist town where no one spoke English. I then had to be driven to another town and the hospital was archaic, I thought I'd die there. To this day I don't know what I had.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:16 PM

485 posts, read 325,310 times
I was in Hawaii for 10 days and on the last day, I ate something that made me sick. I couldn't keep anything down so I spent the last day in the hotel room near a toilet while everyone else in my family was out shopping and playing on the beach. I was so worried I'd throw up on the flight back home but thank goodness I did not!

Another trip, my hubby and I went to Las Vegas and we BOTH came down with horrible colds, fever, chills. We were feeling so crappy we didn't even want to play slots, lol. We both just slept for 2 days in our hotel room and on the last day, we had already pre-booked a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon so we had to go, it was already paid for. It was cool too see but because we had head colds and the air pressure from going up/down in the helicopter, our ears plugged up really bad that we could not un-plug them until we got back home! I was actually starting to worry because it was getting painful. From start to finish, not a fun trip.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:09 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,903,031 times
This was just to my grandmother's house years ago. I was going to stay the weekend. Ended up staying 5 days after developing a miserable gi virus.

The bothersome thing was I kept fainting and poor grandmother was worried...I'd faint in the bathroom and fall behind the toilet...faint in the kitchen by the sink, even in the bedroom. Slowly I began to feel better of course but 5 days was too long to have THAT kind of virus.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:59 PM

3,862 posts, read 3,162,171 times
1 trip to the carribean, I decided to buy road side sausage links. I wanted to have what the locals have, and the store was very popular.

After eating the properly cooked sausage,I developed the sweats, and the dreaded D.

Imodium, anti gas pills, only rice diet, nothing worked to stop the gas and bubbles in my stomach.

5 days later, on the plane ride home, I apologized to the passenger next to me, ahead of time. Fortunately, he had has the same thing happen to him before. I just kept the a.c. on high, and slept most of the flight.

As for going to the restroom, nothing but air would come out! It was so bad that I had gas for 2 full weeks.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:41 AM

5 posts, read 4,857 times
Default Has anyone here got very sick or injured while traveling overseas? What happened?

A relative of mine got very sick recently and has spent two months in the hospital, much of it in the ICU. After a massive heart attack. She is still in the hospital.

What is interesting about her health crisis is she was in good health up to 3 months ago and was scheduled to fly to Europe for a two-week vacation.

We ask what would have happened to her if the massive heart attack would have happened in her first stop in Prague CR instead of at home? She did not have any travel insurance and had told me it would be a waste of money. I don't think that her health insurance worked overseas.

So far her hospital bills have been close to $500K, MOST of them will be covered by health insurance.

What would happen if she had that heart attack in Europe? Anyone with experiences getting very sick or injured overseas?

Old 08-13-2018, 09:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,764 posts, read 58,200,174 times
Travel insurance for health is very cheap ~ $200 / month for a very good policy. (Especially compared to cost / trouble for a trip home as a 'patient' or an air or political evac' ) Trip insurance is a pretty good idea if you are over age 18 (and even a good ideal for that age and younger!)

For people traveling TO USA it is a MUST!!! (expensive emergency care)

Has anyone here got very sick or injured while traveling overseas? What happened? Yup, I always found medical care (cheaper than coming back to USA). I had (3) friends die while on business trips (that is 'pretty sick'). A few friends die while on 'holiday'. Just yesterday I was with a friend who was recently diagnosed terminal (6 weeks). He leaves this week for expended tour in Africa and Europe. He expects he will not return to USA with a beating heart. (if at all).

Best to be a good Boy Scout... and "Be- Prepared". (I am far better off medically while traveling, than while at home in USA (uninsured / unavailable )). I Should quit riding motorcycles and scooters (at home and abroad). Huge risk.

50% + I am traveling (on a 'low travel year').
I have had to make a few 'claims' on travel policies, so get one that PAYs!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel