Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 06:19 PM

9,326 posts, read 4,189,478 times

Advertisements

Dining alone when traveling...

On Eating Alone in Paris
Why should a meal on our own be uninspired or scarfed down as if consumed on the shoulder of an interstate highway? The joys of a table for one.

By Stephanie Rosenbloom

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/30/t...-in-paris.html

Alone Time: Four seasons, four cities and the pleasures of solitude
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...9780399562303/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 06:32 PM

10,411 posts, read 8,133,308 times
Thanks for the links. I'll certainly check them out!

Old 06-08-2018, 06:43 PM

27,073 posts, read 12,087,713 times
My favorite trips are ones I took solo....

Old 06-08-2018, 07:03 PM

36,194 posts, read 18,580,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
My favorite trips are ones I took solo....
I'm interested in your experiences. I've LOVED short solo trips - it feels like I've grown wings. ;D

But I don't go into a sit down restaurant (where you order at your table and not from a counter where you pay) by myself except an occasional breakfast. I've never gone into one for dinner alone.

Do you do that?

Old 06-08-2018, 08:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,942 posts, read 58,805,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm interested in your experiences. I've LOVED short solo trips - it feels like I've grown wings. ;D

But I don't go into a sit down restaurant ...
Do you do that?
yes, as in today
Yes, several times during the last month.

Chose a table that I prefer and enjoy my meal and time alone (watching others, sometime engaging with others, often reading, always thinking up new adventures, always asking lots of questions and inquiring of the adventures of others. ! (I usually avoid peak times, but often chose Happy Hour (can be crowded (as in today)). Seldom hurry while in a food establishment (unless they are really busy and need my table). Sometimes (if busy), I ask them where they prefer a single person to sit (I often do this in Asia, where you are more likely to share tables with other singles and couples and families. )

I learn a lot every day.

And cherish the moments (together, or solo).

Old 06-08-2018, 09:54 PM

5,311 posts, read 3,684,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

But I don't go into a sit down restaurant (where you order at your table and not from a counter where you pay) by myself except an occasional breakfast. I've never gone into one for dinner alone.

Do you do that?
Sit at the bar. They have the same menu typically & you're not feeling out of place since there will usually be people sitting either side of you including some solos & a bartender to chat with if wanted. Sitting alone at a table in a restaurant that isn't really casual, where I can read a magazine too say, can be uncomfortable. Also outside tables for lunch on a nice day are a good alternative since no one will even notice you with all the buzz around & lunch can be a cheaper price for the same meal served at dinner. Dinner could then be at a more casual place later for a light meal.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:10 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,088,993 times
I've never, ever understood why people are hesitant to go out to eat on their own. I do it at home and when I travel.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:42 AM

12,723 posts, read 7,695,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I've never, ever understood why people are hesitant to go out to eat on their own
They feel awkward because almost every other table at a typical full service restaurant is families, groups of friends, or couples who can interact with each other. Breaking bread (especially away from the home) is often culturally associated with enjoyment of shared social experience.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just pointing out why they feel that way. Going against social norms can feel weird.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:54 AM

27,073 posts, read 12,087,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
They feel awkward because almost every other table at a typical full service restaurant is families, groups of friends, or couples who can interact with each other. Breaking bread (especially away from the home) is often culturally associated with enjoyment of shared social experience.

Going against social norms can feel weird.
----------------

Going against social norms, for me, is fun....

But I don't go far enough to break the law...

Old 06-09-2018, 06:16 PM

764 posts, read 867,226 times
I travel for business every week. On Monday thru Thursday nights it is very common to see many people eating alone. Perhaps a different crown on the weekends though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel