Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 09:09 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times

Advertisements

More than 2 days, I'll take clothes out of the suitcase and hang them or put them away. We have two vinyl zip-top bags that toiletries and meds ride around in, the bags go on the counter in the bathroom (if we have our own separate bathroom, if we are sharing they stay on the bedside table or in the suitcase).

I like the suitcases emptied and stacked out of the way somewhere. Plus I tend to roll clothes when I pack and they often need to unroll and hang to get the wrinkles out.

I admit I do check to see how clean the drawers are before I put my clothes in the dressers, usually they are fine, but once I felt much better just leaving things in the suitcase. I also checked the sheets and the bed at that hotel.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 04:55 AM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
#1 - except my bag NEVER goes on the floor, always a bed, chest or the suitcase thingy if it exists. We once got a work hotel that had a leaky AC - hotel floors are gross.

I wear contacts so my little cleaner and fluid gets unpacked, same with my tooth brush. I bring one bottle with liquid soap for hair and body and that goes in the shower. My tiny toiletry bag will sit on the counter.

Other than that I live out of my backpack or bag. If I'm in a place for a week (which is rare) I will put my clothes in a drawer, usually just one. Depending on the room and my roommate, I will sometimes end up with my bag on the other side of the bed.

The only exception is my chargers, those will go in an outlet and stay till I leave.

I *never* bring hanging items.

And yes, no matter how many times I've double checked, I've left stuff behind. Usually in the bathroom too.

Last time I went away for a week with a friend we put the DND sign on the door and just asked for new towels 2-3 times.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:12 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
I had a SO who was militantly type 2 and she couldn't have had it any other way. She was also the highest-maintenence travelling partner I'd ever been with. No thanks. Just getting there in one piece is stressful enough without all that extra unnecessary grief.

I'm a type 1. That's why polyester/nylon/Climalite and heavy sanforized denim jeans were invented. I just plop my suitcase down wherever is adequate, live out of it and enjoy using the extra time not spent unpacking for other things (like exploring the area). Sorry Jimmy, I mean, I liked "Come Monday" and your cover of "Treetop Flyer" and all, but...
Yeah, I spend a lot of time thinking about all the things I missed because of that extra 3 minutes I spent unpacking

ETA: in reality, I am sure I more than make up for the time spent unpacking with the time I don't have to waste rummaging through a suitcase looking for something, since it's already out of the suitcase and easily accessible

Old 06-01-2018, 09:19 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I will take out enough clothes to last for the hotel stay, only, & leave everything else in the case.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:32 AM

631 posts, read 398,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I use those travel cubes, place those unzipped in a drawer and I'm done. One for pants, one for tops. Tops rolled, pants folded once. Underwear and socks go with pants (below waist stuff - get it ). Bras go with the tops. No wasted space in my cubes.

On longer trips, I usually pull out some of the stuff and hang it.

Finally convinced DH to try this method. He insisted on a third cube for underwear and socks, won't roll his button down shirts, but he's a convert.

The small cubes are perfect for all the bathroom stuff that isn't a liquid. Grab it out of the suitcase, dump it on a bathroom countertop, done.
Same here

Old 06-01-2018, 03:14 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
Hybrid of #1 and #2. Bathroom stuff goes out immediately, and anything that needs to be hanged gets put up, chargers get setup and any other electronics or work stuff that needs put out, I'll put away some clothes I plan on using the next couple days, but not typically all of my clothes. I'll set the suitcase and any not needed bags in the closet.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:13 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,335 times
Quote:
Yeah, I spend a lot of time thinking about all the things I missed because of that extra 3 minutes I spent unpacking

I don't know what your facepalm was supposed to prove.

I'm glad you've got it down to that little. Good for you. I don't travel much (can't afford it) so I don't have a system for it, so your three minutes could easily turn into 20 or more for me. No thanks. It's easier to put a suitcase (in my case a large Alpinestar gearbag) in the corner of the room and live out of it. Problem solved and doesn't affect your travel methods any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel