Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 09:21 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times

Advertisements

Snooky is fun, people say it's seedy but only problem we had was wife's foot encountering a sea urchin when we were snorkeling around one of those islands they have right off the coast.

We did our China visa in Hong Kong, there is a service that can get you a 10 year visa without having to provide any of the usual painful documentation then just hop on a train to Guangzhou. Granted you have to leave every 60 days but due to wife's aforementioned frustration with China that's fine, from Kunming it would be a really easy flight to Thailand and back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 09:38 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Are there any on this site? Either in the real sense (renouncing citizenship, lacking any PR status) or just as someone who is continuously moving and not spending the majority of a year in one place??

Just curious...I have considered this often. Not the true PT following flag theory as I don't think I would ever renounce my US citizenship, but just spending several years traveling the globe.

Here is a description of the concept.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_traveler
I just wonder .. wouldn't you run out of money at some point?

Old 05-30-2018, 10:39 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
It's been addressed a few times already, but anyway...

Typically, they have remote jobs or run their own online business. Both are fairly common and there are growing industries catering to this segment. Other alternatives are folks who are independently wealthy, those who have decent residual/passive incomes, and people who do odd jobs along the way. Obviously far more difficult.

If I were to do it someday, it would be while running an online business and having passive income.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:00 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
It's been addressed a few times already, but anyway...

Typically, they have remote jobs or run their own online business. Both are fairly common and there are growing industries catering to this segment. Other alternatives are folks who are independently wealthy, those who have decent residual/passive incomes, and people who do odd jobs along the way. Obviously far more difficult.

If I were to do it someday, it would be while running an online business and having passive income.
Yeah, some have rental properties back home (wherever they're from) to make money as they travel, others do website development remotely or many have some kind of online store/business that they can run remotely. I think one of the harder ones, is to build up "your brand" big enough to have a blog/travel website solely, where you can live off the Ad revenue or have big name sponsorships that pay you to travel, because there are so many blogs out there already it's hard to stand out in all the clutter.

I worked down in Antarctica on three separate occasions, and many people love that lifestyle doing contract work anywhere from 3 to 6 to 12 months at a time, then they are "seasonally retired" for a bit and travel the world, then go back to the Ice for another contract. I know people that have been doing 6-7 months on (the Ice) and 5-6 months off for 10 or more years and have traveled to over 100+ countries on their "off/seasonal retired" time. Most have a storage unit back in the US, no vehicle, no house, and might go back "home" for a few weeks to see family and loved ones after they are done traveling for the season, then go back to doing contract work down on the frozen continent. Rinse and repeat.

It's definitely an interesting atypical lifestyle and not for everyone, that's for sure!

Old 05-31-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
We worked and saved until we had enough to live off investments.

Bonus = our unplug point was for enough to cover expenses of same lifestyle in USA, but while traveling our expenses have been much lower. It's definitely a win, we like traveling and the longer we do it the more we come out ahead financially.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:34 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
I don't fall under the formal current definition of PT, perhaps "ne'er do well?"

I made a few solo overseas trips, including one long extended one with a backpack & my thumb, while still a teenager when the only resource available then was Frommer's "Europe on $5 a Day" (anyone old enough to remember that?)

The next 20 years I had 25 addresses in 7 US states while I wandered & worked, in a job deliberately chosen to include travel - domestic & international. In middle age I needed to prepare financially for retirement & stay near a widowed mom but I still went overseas annually, typically several times, plus lots of work travel.

20 years later I'm retired but mom is in her 90's so I stay nearby. I've gone through "out west" & "southeast asia" periods & am now re/visiting potential retirement havens. I became a dual EU citizen 25+ years ago, still have all extended family there who I have seen regularly all my life & feel very comfortable visiting & hanging with except I don't want to live in an expensive country with lots of rain!

So I'm now (re)entering a Euro period, but my days of endless wander - most of my life - I think is over in exchange for a deep dive. I'm looking to finally put down roots somewhere & dig in for a long time with a dog & a garden & a local cafe etc.... I do consider if I would forgo my US citizenship for tax reasons if I did really settle in & have no reasons to return to the US anymore, would that cancel my Social Security checks? I don't think so, I have some relatives in Europe who receive SS checks for their years of work in the US despite not being US citizens or residents.

Various spots in Spain, Portugal are top of the list now but also Mexico, Croatia too. "Perpetual travel" really isn't viable when one has arthritic knees, potential coronary issues & other age related things that a local MD or good hospital would be advisable to keep near.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
We worked and saved until we had enough to live off investments.

Bonus = our unplug point was for enough to cover expenses of same lifestyle in USA, but while traveling our expenses have been much lower. It's definitely a win, we like traveling and the longer we do it the more we come out ahead financially.
Ok but where are you going? Some places are not that cheap. You will go a lot further in places like SE Asia than you will certain places in Europe.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Ok but where are you going? Some places are not that cheap. You will go a lot further in places like SE Asia than you will certain places in Europe.
We'll file this in the "obvious" category

Old 05-31-2018, 03:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
the Euro vs USD valuation is helping ... at the moment

be GONE as long as possible (and when able)

come home (USA) (?) if you must.

Certainly NOT for HC!!! (for most)

Old 05-31-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
We'll file this in the "obvious" category
But what is the point of only traveling to a small area of the globe?

How do you travel to places like Europe & come out ahead if you are not bringing $$ in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel