Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 12:51 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,714,225 times

Advertisements

I am fed up with switching hotels, driving from one city to another constantly.

Ideally, I'd stay in one city for a whole week.

Unfortunately, most cities are only mildly interesting that you only want to stay at most 3 days. For instance, San Antonio.

Any cities that worth spending a whole week? I know NYC and London. But what else? Maybe Florence is a possibility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 01:02 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,035,584 times
Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Hanoi, Tokyo, Berlin....

A lot of this depends on your travel style, though. If I'm spending a whole week in a city as a base, I usually take the train somewhere a little smaller too, as a daytrip.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
adding to above...Singapore, Amsterdam, Barcelona

DC, Chicago, LA, SF, Vancouver BC, Seattle

As per above... I utilize the 'region' when in a city (rarely for me).

Exception is Amsterdam and DC where I spend a LOT of time biking their excellent venues.

SF I walk a LOT! Taking the free library tours (a few per day).

While in SA, I rent a $15 car and spend a day west (Fredericksburg, Bandera, Comfort...) and a day north (Wimberley, Canyon Lake, New Braunfels...). When in Europe I take a train, when in Asia I take a <$40 flight. Such as go to Penang, Bali, or Bangkok while in Singapore.

of course I get a LOT of my adventure ideas (and things to do in a city) from getting info from locals, and NOT staying a a hotel (ick) YMMV! I usually spend my time doing stuff that is totally off the radar of a travel guide / hotel (ick) / tourist itinerary.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:17 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,714,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Hanoi, Tokyo, Berlin....

A lot of this depends on your travel style, though. If I'm spending a whole week in a city as a base, I usually take the train somewhere a little smaller too, as a daytrip.
I have been living in a small city that doesn't have passenger train service for too long, lol.

For a day trip, it's ideal to limit the commuting time to 2 hours.

Paris and Istanbul are less safe than desired. Berlin actually sounds pretty cool, few of my acquaintances have been there yet.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:42 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,777 times
I think Rome, London and Paris and their suburb are good for a week/6-7 days each. Berlin as well if you include the region, Potsdam in particular. Florence in my opinion is good for 4-5 days; it is just so small though really interesting...

Old 05-07-2018, 02:49 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Paris-Versailles, France

You can easily spend a week there and feel like you barely scratched the surface.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:14 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,169,139 times
Berlin is awesome, and you could easily do a week there.

I though Madrid would be great as a week long trip, as it is a huge city with a lot to do.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:46 PM

1,584 posts, read 980,922 times
Several cities in the US are well worth a week or more, including in my experience New York, New Orleans, Chicago, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Boston, Atlanta, and Washington DC. So are Canadian cities such as Toronto and Montreal.

In Europe, would definitely say Paris, London, Florence, Madrid, Vienna, Rome, and Amsterdam from experience. Copenhagen, Berlin, Munich, and Barcelona would also likely seem worth a week given what I’ve been able to figure.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:52 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I am fed up with switching hotels, driving from one city to another constantly.

Ideally, I'd stay in one city for a whole week.

Unfortunately, most cities are only mildly interesting that you only want to stay at most 3 days. For instance, San Antonio.

Any cities that worth spending a whole week? I know NYC and London. But what else? Maybe Florence is a possibility?

YES, Florence.

Rome and Paris....

Old 05-07-2018, 04:52 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Paris and Istanbul are less safe than desired.

Paris is unsafe? Since when? I've spent a lot of time there, never felt unsafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel