Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 02:08 PM

12,960 posts, read 13,386,884 times

Advertisements

We have a flat booked for the 2nd week in August in Central Paris. Said flat is on the 6th floor (a lift is there) but has no air conditioning. The owner will provide fans, but will that be sufficient to keep the place reasonably cool?

Being from Texas we don't mind it getting warm indoors during the day & early evening (won't be there anyway), but find it difficult to sleep well late at night if the indoor temperature gets above 75F.
We are both in our early 70s.

We have read that on occasion it can get very hot in Paris - up to 40C - but generally is pretty mild compared to Central Texas at that time of the year.

Any informative feedback is welcome, and thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 02:20 PM

5,259 posts, read 3,624,025 times
Be prepared for a lot of things to be closed then, traditionally Parisians head en masse to the seaside for that entire month shutting a lot of businesses, etc. Just a heads up....

Old 04-29-2018, 02:25 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,910,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Be prepared for a lot of things to be closed then, traditionally Parisians head en
masse to the seaside for that entire month shutting a lot of businesses, etc. Just a heads up....

True...many Europeans do this each August.

Just saw an average of 77 degrees F for Aug. high, on one website....sounds a little low to me.

Old 04-29-2018, 03:47 PM

12,960 posts, read 13,386,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Be prepared for a lot of things to be closed then, traditionally Parisians head en masse to the seaside for that entire month shutting a lot of businesses, etc. Just a heads up....

We just plan on seeing some of the major tourist highlights, and have a friend who will be driving us around. Hope they don't close the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, etc.

But yes, I've already heard about the Parisians fleeing to the beaches - probably what the owner of this flat is doing.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:03 AM

4,793 posts, read 10,634,472 times
August in Paris:
Less local pop, but potentially more tourists as other Euro countries are on their 4-6 vacay, also and they plus US people do visit Paris in August. I have been there in August and most of the usual stuff is available to see/do.

An unconditioned room is not my choice, anywhere in August in the Northern Hemisphere, but maybe your comfort zone is more higher temps acceptable.

The weather is unpredictable more than a few days out...when I was there in August, it was hot even for walking around sight seeing. Hope that 6th floor room is not too hot, and the elevator is working!

Maybe rent a car/get your friend to drive you to Normandy Beach and area for a day trip: it is remarkable and emotional.

Enjoy your trip!
GL, mD

Old 04-30-2018, 06:07 AM

3,265 posts, read 5,015,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
We have a flat booked for the 2nd week in August in Central Paris. Said flat is on the 6th floor (a lift is there) but has no air conditioning. The owner will provide fans, but will that be sufficient to keep the place reasonably cool?

Being from Texas we don't mind it getting warm indoors during the day & early evening (won't be there anyway), but find it difficult to sleep well late at night if the indoor temperature gets above 75F.
We are both in our early 70s.

We have read that on occasion it can get very hot in Paris - up to 40C - but generally is pretty mild compared to Central Texas at that time of the year.

Any informative feedback is welcome, and thanks in advance.
I haven't been to Paris in August, but I've been there in July, and I won't ever go back in the summer. It was terribly hot, and although we had an air conditioned hotel room, it was too hot and humid outside to do much of what we like best in Paris -- walking around and sitting outside in cafes. I'm a Floridian, and I don't spend time outside in the hot weather if I can help it. Trying to sleep in the heat, even with fans, sounds like a nightmare to me.

I recall one terrible night at the beginning of that trip. We had booked a room in a non-air conditioned, but very historical, hotel very near the Notre Dame. It was really hot in the room, so we opened the large windows that faced directly onto the Notre Dame. We hadn't planned on the fact that crowds of people like to gather outside the cathedral on hot nights, playing guitars, revving motorcycles, general crowd noise. If we closed the windows of our room, it was quiet enough, but then it was beastly hot. The next morning we moved out of that hotel and into a nearby one that had air-conditioning.

If I were you, I'd opt for a different flat, one with A/C.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:25 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,587,791 times
Is the 6th floor the top floor of the building? Does the flat have windows that face west or south? Sometimes a room will be cool enough to sleep in if it's not on the top floor (hot air rises) or get the afternoon sun. Keep the curtains and windows closed in the afternoons and at night have the fans in front of the windows blowing cooler air into the flat, not just recirculating the air inside the flat. Or have a fan blowing directly on the bed.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:08 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,064,894 times
Paris isn't a particularly warm European city, like most other Northern European cities the weather can be changeable, I would say the weather is (on average) rather pleasant in August, average 'high' of 24 Centigrade:-

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/.../paris/climate

Old 04-30-2018, 12:02 PM

5,259 posts, read 3,624,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
We just plan on seeing some of the major tourist highlights, and have a friend who will be driving us around. Hope they don't close the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, etc.

But yes, I've already heard about the Parisians fleeing to the beaches - probably what the owner of this flat is doing.
Yeah, for most first time or stereotypical sightseeing visitors it won't matter really, the biggies are open. If you are more interested in specific smaller businesses, restaurants in local neighborhoods or local specialties it would probably be more obvious.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:25 PM

7,401 posts, read 4,188,268 times
When I lived in Austin, it was hot but because it was a dry heat, it felt cooler.

Paris has a higher humidity than Central Texas. The heat will be harder to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel