Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 03:32 PM

17,733 posts, read 13,538,920 times

Advertisements

THE MOST SCENIC DRIVE IN ALL 50 STATES

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...-peak-route-66
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 04:12 PM

15,576 posts, read 9,246,950 times
The best way to find good road trips is to just go on Google Maps and look for any of the routes marked with black and white US highway shields. Most of them have histories going back to the 1920s, and a lot of them haven't really changed much over the years. Also look for any roads that have "Old Highway XX" in their names. You have to really zoom in to see them on Google Maps. But once you find them, you know it's a historical road.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Highway 101 up the west coast. At the northern end it loops around the Olympic Peninsula in NW Washington.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_101
I agree with Highway 101. It was one of my favorite road trips even before I lived in this area. North of the Golden Gate Bridge, it hasn't really changed much since the 1950s. It's the same old two lanes, with some four lane stretches that is was 60 years ago. A lot of the businesses are the same ones that served travelers 60 years ago.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:58 PM

5,470 posts, read 4,110,922 times
back in the early 1980's my DH and I started doing the US routes. We started with US 6, MA to CA, then up the coast and took US 20 back. He was very organized and could plan trips hitting as many US routes as possible. He had a (pre-computer) spreadsheet showing all the US routes, and where they started and ended. I still have the diary we kept of all the routes and what we saw. We did it for about 25 years. We didn't cover all of them though.

More and more, the old US routes are being re-routed onto interstates. I hate interstates. Even when I drive from VT to my sister's in MA I take back roads and get better gas mileage.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:26 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,238,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post

A trip off the main interstates provide so much information and points of interests it's time to slow down and relax with places like this.

Anyone else have an interesting spot to visit off the main interstate highway?
America off the Interstate IS a point of interest. It is impossible to drive off the interstate without seeing a point of interest. It is so sad to hear about people who have driven across the country, or even to every state, and have seen absolutely nothing.

One of my favorites is yard sales. Maybe the only places in America where strangers will still talk to each other. I also love to eat breakfast at a main street cafe with pickups parked outside, eavesdrop on the conversations of the farmers at the next table. But such cafes are getting hard to find, the farmers all moving their socialization out to McDonalds, at the interstate ramp.

Interstate highways bring to mind a cartoon I once saw of well-heeled diners in a five-star hotel dining room, A lady at one table leans over to address a stranger at the next table and says "Perhaps you can settle an argument. Is this Cairo or Bangkok?"

Old 04-24-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
America off the Interstate IS a point of interest. It is impossible to drive off the interstate without seeing a point of interest. It is so sad to hear about people who have driven across the country, or even to every state, and have seen absolutely nothing.

One of my favorites is yard sales. Maybe the only places in America where strangers will still talk to each other. I also love to eat breakfast at a main street cafe with pickups parked outside, eavesdrop on the conversations of the farmers at the next table. But such cafes are getting hard to find, the farmers all moving their socialization out to McDonalds, at the interstate ramp.

Interstate highways bring to mind a cartoon I once saw of well-heeled diners in a five-star hotel dining room, A lady at one table leans over to address a stranger at the next table and says "Perhaps you can settle an argument. Is this Cairo or Bangkok?"
It is sad that mom and pop cafes are disappearing so quickly. I know some truck drivers online, and they complain about how all the truck stop restaurants are being replaced with mini fast food courts. Can you imagine driving a truck and the only options you have for food is crap like McD's and Subway? Truck stops were always the one place you knew you could get good food, but no more.

I sometimes visit a newspaper website for the small town I was born in. When I last visited the town 20 years ago, the town still had no fast food. It still had the same Main Street mom and pop cafes it had when I was a kid. Now from what I understand, McD's and Subway have taken over the town, and put most of the cafes out of business.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:08 PM

8,614 posts, read 14,976,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
THE MOST SCENIC DRIVE IN ALL 50 STATES

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...-peak-route-66
They really phoned it in with their Nebraska choice. The highway they recommended goes over the Lake McConaughy Dam and maybe 5 miles of the lake's shoreline. The lake is about 10 miles off I-80. Wildcat Hills, Pine Ridge, and the Sand Hills are better drives, Avs are views you simply don't get if you stay on I-80.

The Colorado choice is kinda weak sauce, too. The Cog Railway is/was the best way up Pikes Peak, and when you get to the top there's a kitschy gift shop that sells donuts and overpriced tchotchkes. Independence Pass between Twin Lakes and Aspen or the Million Dollar Highway between Ouray and Silverton are much better.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:31 PM

3,862 posts, read 3,178,535 times
We usually find the major street or boulevard, and just ride it till the end. This is for cruising purposes.

For places outside the state, I travel by googles GPS. We just adjust the settings for no highways, and get the local route. Has Worked well in Virginia, North Carolina, and Florida.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:18 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,214,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Off the beaten path points of interest.

I miss the road trips of the past, but nothing says I can’t start taking them again if I want to enjoy that mode of travel. In the years before the interstate highways we always enjoyed the sights of small towns along the state highways. So many towns and so many highways to enjoy it’s worth slowing down and revisiting some of the places.

One of my favorites was the Pioneer Village in Minden NE on Hwy 6. Very interesting place stated back in 1953 by Harold Warp. The things they had in there would keep you busy for several days trying to enjoy seeing it all.

A trip off the main interstates provide so much information and points of interests it's time to slow down and relax with places like this.

Anyone else have an interesting spot to visit off the main interstate highway?
It's funny....when I saw your post, the first thing I thought about was traveling from Colorado to Nebraska and how much fun we had driving off the interstate, taking the back roads. Then you mention driving the back roads in Nebraska. Uncanny coincidence.

One of my favorite places is the museum over the interstate in Kearney, Nebraska....Great Platte River Road Archway Monument. It honors all of the pioneer trails the settlers took traveling west. Read about their near bankruptcy a few years back. I am still fascinated by that museum. Here's the link to the museum:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Nebraska.html

Last edited by 'M'; 04-25-2018 at 12:37 AM..

Old 04-25-2018, 04:27 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,491,095 times
Blue Ridge Parkway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel