Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 06:54 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,569,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
There is a lot that can happen while traveling, so best to be insured. ~ $1.50 / day per person. Is very attractive considering USA insurance @ $80 b day.
Wow $80 is way higher than the average insurance premium, I couldn't imagine having that bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 01:42 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
I stopped reading through this thread because it the lack of logic, knowledge and plain common sense was just pissing me off. AND the bad advice.

I'll tell you a true story: One of our friends got sick in Eastern Africa. Pneumonia. The treated him there, then sent him to Cape Town for more treatment. After release from the hospital, They had to pay to stay in a hotel for a few days before he could fly back to the states. A nurse was hired to fly with him in first class. (His wife went in coach, as that is what they originally paid for.) Total bill for this 3 week saga: over $300,000.

No freaking way should anybody be traveling overseas without travel insurance for medical. Unless you like the idea of bankruptcy. And very very few policies include any coverage for overseas anymore - maybe enough coverage to get you stabilized in a medical emergency. That will cover maybe 15 minutes in an ER.

Most travel policies include a lot of crap in them - lost baggage, delayed trip, cancellation, accidental death, I cracked a tooth, etc. etc. etc. That crap costs a lot of money. The reality is that if you can't afford to self insure for missing a plane or losing a piece of luggage, you can't afford that vacation.

The hundreds of thousands in possible medical expenses and evacuation? That's a catastrophic loss, and that's what we should ALL be insuring ourselves for.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 04-22-2018 at 01:56 PM..

Old 04-22-2018, 01:46 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

There is a lot that can happen while traveling, so best to be insured. ~ $1.50 / day per person. Is very attractive considering USA insurance @ $80 b day.
WTH are you talking about - $80/day for medical insurance in the US? Baloney.

As for the rest of your advise, it nearly all applies to people who like to travel using the techniques you do. There's nothing wrong with the way you travel! But damn few want to travel like you do. Seriously, dude, how many people are wanting to work on a farm to get a place to sleep? Or never go back 'home' to the US because of health insurance woes? Or have so many companion vouchers that their spouse never pays? Or want to share a bathroom? Or have the available funds and savvy to be buying and selling motor homes all over the world, no that's not what most people want or can do.

(or have US based business that are managed by others that supply income to you every month? I commend your financial foresight, but again, damn few have that advantage.)

You're living a fine life. Many would be envious. But there's really no need to be patronizing to 99% of the population who prefers to be conventional (or don't have the financial advantages you do.)

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 04-22-2018 at 02:07 PM..

Old 04-22-2018, 03:10 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I'm trying to estimate how much traveling I can do on my budget.
I have $21,000 a year I can spend on travel. I haven't traveled a lot so I am not sure of the costs.
About me
60 years old single male. No current friends able to travel with.
Retired so I have plenty of flexibility.
On this budget I estimated I could do per year:
3-$5k trips for 2 weeks mostly anywhere in the world
4-$1500 one week trips anywhere in the continental us
4 $500 weekend road trips trips within 500 miles of where I live
I don't eat at high end restaurants or drink alcohol. Medium to cheap eateries for me mostly.
Same on hotels as long as they Are safe.
Health is reasonable. Not the fastest walker but can easily get around.
I assume as a single it will cost more for hotels than travel as a couple.

My questions are
1. Did I budget right or am I underestimating costs?
2. Any recommendations on a travel club or group that doesn't charge an arm and a leg?
Any other advice?
I think this a great and pretty generous budget. I'm also a senior single and I can do two weeks in Europe for your $5K/2 week budget amount. No skimping. Can't think of anything worse than skimping to save a few bucks when you have the budget to sleep comfortably in a full service hotel. You should be aware that if you join a tour group, you pay a "single" premium for single occupancy in hotels, but again, no problem for a two week trip. I actually prefer two weeks -- longer than that seems too long and it all starts to blur e.g. was that beautiful castle in Ireland or Scotland; that market in Prague or Budapest? But I have friends who prefer a month at a time. Such an individual thing.

US travel varies on your choice of transportation, accommodations and venues. For example, I'm in the SW and am flying to WI to visit my daughter next week. No accommodation costs but rental car and air will total $700 plus incidental expenses of about $300 for a 10 day trip.

I've traveled alone in the US and in Europe for years. Sometimes I'll join a tour group -- GoAhead, Collette, Monograms -- and sometimes not. I'm meeting a friend in Provence in July and I know it'll be fun. However, I did a trip to Paris last year and was completely alone for a week and I got to do exactly what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it. So as they say, "your experience may vary". You've got the budget to try both ways.

By the way, you're talking about a LOT of travel each year. Personally, four US trips and one longer overseas trip a year is what works best for me. This isn't so much for budgetary reasons but because I have a lot of interesting hobbies and activities at home that I don't like to be away from for too long. So again, your travel schedule and budget might be perfect for you. You'll only know if you follow your plan and do it!

Enjoy!

Last edited by KiwiKate; 04-22-2018 at 04:19 PM..

Old 04-22-2018, 03:44 PM

110 posts, read 73,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I stopped reading through this thread because it the lack of logic, knowledge and plain common sense was just pissing me off. AND the bad advice.

I'll tell you a true story: One of our friends got sick in Eastern Africa. Pneumonia. The treated him there, then sent him to Cape Town for more treatment. After release from the hospital, They had to pay to stay in a hotel for a few days before he could fly back to the states. A nurse was hired to fly with him in first class. (His wife went in coach, as that is what they originally paid for.) Total bill for this 3 week saga: over $300,000.

No freaking way should anybody be traveling overseas without travel insurance for medical. Unless you like the idea of bankruptcy. And very very few policies include any coverage for overseas anymore - maybe enough coverage to get you stabilized in a medical emergency. That will cover maybe 15 minutes in an ER.

Most travel policies include a lot of crap in them - lost baggage, delayed trip, cancellation, accidental death, I cracked a tooth, etc. etc. etc. That crap costs a lot of money. The reality is that if you can't afford to self insure for missing a plane or losing a piece of luggage, you can't afford that vacation.

The hundreds of thousands in possible medical expenses and evacuation? That's a catastrophic loss, and that's what we should ALL be insuring ourselves for.
Curious as to how that 300k breaks down for 3 weeks. Was the flight home a special air ambulance or a passenger flight?

Old 04-22-2018, 07:21 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,561,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I think this a great and pretty generous budget. I'm also a senior single and I can do two weeks in Europe for your $5K/2 week budget amount. No skimping. Can't think of anything worse than skimping to save a few bucks when you have the budget to sleep comfortably in a full service hotel. You should be aware that if you join a tour group, you pay a "single" premium for single occupancy in hotels, but again, no problem for a two week trip. I actually prefer two weeks -- longer than that seems too long and it all starts to blur e.g. was that beautiful castle in Ireland or Scotland; that market in Prague or Budapest? But I have friends who prefer a month at a time. Such an individual thing.

US travel varies on your choice of transportation, accommodations and venues. For example, I'm in the SW and am flying to WI to visit my daughter next week. No accommodation costs but rental car and air will total $700 plus incidental expenses of about $300 for a 10 day trip.

I've traveled alone in the US and in Europe for years. Sometimes I'll join a tour group -- GoAhead, Collette, Monograms -- and sometimes not. I'm meeting a friend in Provence in July and I know it'll be fun. However, I did a trip to Paris last year and was completely alone for a week and I got to do exactly what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it. So as they say, "your experience may vary". You've got the budget to try both ways.

By the way, you're talking about a LOT of travel each year. Personally, four US trips and one longer overseas trip a year is what works best for me. This isn't so much for budgetary reasons but because I have a lot of interesting hobbies and activities at home that I don't like to be away from for too long. So again, your travel schedule and budget might be perfect for you. You'll only know if you follow your plan and do it!

Enjoy!
Thanks. I thought it was a fair amount of traveling but I thought I had to try to make up for time lost.
Adding the exotic sports car knocked me down to 2 -5K out of country trips and 2-$1500 instead of 3 and 3, so maybe I can have my cake and eat it too?
Thanks for mentioning those tour groups, I will check those out.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:09 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,500,158 times
Get the traveler's cough early in the year. On the first trip of 3-6days; By the 7th day, you should be thoroughly sick and at home. Recuperate. The subsequent trips can be longer.
I doubt that Stealth Rabbit gets very sick often since he has been exposed to the basic cold genome and gets constantly updated on new serotypes.
????

Old 04-22-2018, 10:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Thank you, I know I am very fortunate and thankful to be in this position.
About the only thing that can derail me is... cars!
The temptation is to buy a used Ferrari or Lamborghini instead of the Mercedes. The only problem is it knocks $7000 off my travel budget and I'm not sure I want to give that up hence the research here.

So depending on what the great people here advise me will determine what I do. I think the exotic car is just dreaming though, the travel is more important right now if it comes down to picking one or the other.
There are many places to rent exotic cars in USA and abroad. I would do that, as it is far more fun to try different models and roads.
https://www.gothamdreamcars.com/exotic-car-rental
https://exoticcars.enterprise.com/en/home.html

Las Vegas has a lot of offerings, and if you could afford the mileage charge you could do a Southern Utah National Parks tour, Be sure to take that great road between Bryce and Capital Reef! I did it a couple weeks ago ~ 1000 miles RT out of Vegas. Don't miss Valley of Fire !!! (50 miles north of LV and on the way to Zion / Bryce.)

I would also rent an exotic in Germany (Bavaria) and drive the mtn roads in Italy and Austria.

It is really a lot more comforting to have a rental (with adequate theft insurance) than worry about losing and fixing your own. .

A friend took his GT40 to Europe (He has (3) 1965, 2009, 2017), and I don't think he slept well worrying about the car (theft / damage / and Maint). It is a really expensive and stressful hobby, renting has advantages! If you have a passion, get a mediocre (but fast and fun) vehicle you are not afraid to drive and park. My son got a reasonable 1965 911 which serves that purpose for him (He still rents exotics when traveling).

I use my vintage motorcycles (raced them professionally in the 1970's), They are fun and fast (enough) and VERY cheap (<$1000)! I will take them to locations around the world and use them for a LONG vacation, then sell them to an importer. (I have plenty )

Old 04-22-2018, 10:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
WTH are you talking about - $80/day for medical insurance in the US? Baloney.

As for the rest of your advise, it nearly all applies to people who like to travel using the techniques you do. ... 99% of the population who prefers to be conventional (or don't have the financial advantages you do.)
really,,, (You may eventually need to get over this diss..)

The OP wanted ALTERNATIVE travel ideas..(i.e. NOT conventional)

hardly a minority way to travel...
10 million+ travelers use my methods MANY times / yr each (as they have for 100's of yrs)
Servas was started in 1947 to 'heal the social barriers of WWII, it is still a great idea as is serving as an international ambassador for travelers. Staying in a sterile hotel, I find a very lame way to travel and certainly not very engaging into local culture. Just leaves me with an empty / and 'non-experience' travel. Go-see-leave-forget... I will NEVER forget ANY of my stays!, because I gained a treasured relationship and shared interests with others.
https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange

15 million use international medical options
https://patientsbeyondborders.com/

In thousands of great stays I have seldom shared a bath (tho I wouldn't mind if needed). Often I get an entire house / wing / guest house to myself. Sometimes the host is gone for the week and just leaves the key with the neighbor. (stay without ever meeting the host).

I travel (and live) to serve others. That is my choice, does not have to be yours, but... it is very interesting / fun / engaging and heart wrenching at times. (today) a dear friend needed help due to a stroke, the neighbor needed help due to an amputation. Very ez for me to lend a hand, I have no agenda. BTW: I really enjoy sharing my home with international guests, it is not mine anyway, nor is my next breath. (for perspective).

Medical My A(?)CA would be $2780 if I chose to accept it. That is $92 / day... so I don't buy it. (After all it is a high deductible 'insurance only'... not actual medical expenses. so... $50k/yr could be expected. Why bother with such a 'bargain'?? Many of us in Rural USA have A(?)CA HC premium quotes exceeding $80 / day. Glad I left rural Colorado, theirs is really high! but it makes no difference as many cannot afford it. 3 friends from CO died in last 2 yrs due to no coverage.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-22-2018 at 10:57 PM..

Old 04-23-2018, 05:35 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
You could travel continuously for a year on that budget. It's the weekend and weeklong trips that will eat you alive paying for all that airfare to get somewhere and then having to turn right around and come back. Since you're retired you should be able to stay as long as you want before you have to come home and anything worth seeing is worth staying for at least a month. Our family of 4 spent about $60,000 for a round-the-world trip 10 years ago and that included airfare and health insurance. Last year I went to South America for a month and traveled by myself as a single woman and that's the shortest amount of time I would consider staying in a place like that. BTW, I highly recommend SA and Bolivia was my favorite.

Oh, and as a single, I prefer hostels. You can cook at them to save costs on food and it's much easier to meet people that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel