Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 11:39 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,994,320 times

Advertisements

One thing I do (but I'm a woman) is have a secure cross-body bag from Pac-Safe with slash-proof straps that NEVER leaves my body until I'm back in the hotel room. my hand is always on it. My money is in an interior zipper pocket and the exterior zipper has a clasp that cannot be easily or quickly undone. If someone was able to get it open, all they'd end up with is a make-up bag which would just give me the excuse to buy more! I personally don't think you'd stand out at all in Europe wearing a Man-Bag crossbody style. I try to get my husband to do that, but he's law enforcement and flat refuses. But if you're dressed nicely and secure, you could totally do it! I would NOT wear a backpack unless it's lockable, as that just begs for pickpockets. Don't carry a wallet and don't access your pack in public. (My husband prefers a neck pouch as opposed to a belly pouch). Have a few euros in a chest pocket (preferably with a button) and everything else securely tucked away.

Rome is wrought with scams too, and so just read up on those. They will always know you're a tourist, so don't worry about trying to blend in. Just don't be the stereotypical obnoxious American and you'll be fine! In Europe, the drabber your clothes are, the less you'll stand out. I've never seen so much black and gray in my life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 11:54 AM

Oh, and another thing....learn the word "police" in whatever country you're in, and yell it at them if they're really harassing you. (It Italy, it's Polizia) That worked for me to get a band of gypsies off my elderly mother (who packs a .38 special here at home!) at the Colosseum. I actually have a friend who is a Roman police officer, and they're very frustrated with the gypsies, and he said the gypsies know they police will bust them if they're caught harassing tourists.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Pickpockets are all over Europe. Have been, like, forever. I'll never forget the three Gypsy kids hanging from my bags as I exited the Prague train station. Some things never change. And, yes, Italy is especially bad. (but, all of Europe has this stuff)

You must keep an eye peeled especially when in any touristy area. Best leave anything of value locked away somewhere. Most hotels in Europe have reliable safes in the room.

For money you need on the run, get sew in pockets and sew them inside your jeans. Also, never EVER dress especially ritzy when going through touristy areas. Look like a bum, they'll generally leave you alone.
Oh goodness - Prague! We noticed more opportunity for pickpockets at the Prague Castle than probably anywhere else in Europe. People jammed packed up to the gates, watching the guards and not minding their stuff. My husband is law enforcement and I was in criminal justice/mental health, so we were both very aware. One guy bumped me with his "broken" arm in a cast but it wasn't an accidental bump. I took my elbow and jabbed him as hard as I could in his side, and he took off! All the while, my other hand was on my cross-body bag. He (and his compadres) got nothing.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:48 PM

51,395 posts, read 37,068,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Oh, and another thing....learn the word "police" in whatever country you're in, and yell it at them if they're really harassing you. (It Italy, it's Polizia) That worked for me to get a band of gypsies off my elderly mother (who packs a .38 special here at home!) at the Colosseum. I actually have a friend who is a Roman police officer, and they're very frustrated with the gypsies, and he said the gypsies know they police will bust them if they're caught harassing tourists.
I wouldn't even think to learn the word for police but it's good advice no matter where one goes.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:22 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,822,808 times
I spent a week in rome last year and didn't have any issues nor did I see any pickpocketing happen. I went around the city quite a bit, including by city bus, and I was out walking late at night too. If I were you I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:06 PM

12,723 posts, read 7,640,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If memory serves, the 19th is gentrifying right fast these days. I'd gladly take that over Liberty City in Miami.
I think that shooting star you saw might have been the point flying way up there over your head.

Did someone claim there is nowhere in South Florida more dangerous than the places in Europe? Nope.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:40 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,523,970 times
put your money in your bra. take just one or two credit cards and get just what you need from the atms. I would favor a sort of belt with a few pockets that goes under your garments not the bulky one that screams "tourist". I'd also wear a clutch attached to my wrist. I wouldn't take expensive jewelry with me and I'd keep my passport and valuables in the hotel's safe. Carry your unlock phone in your clutch along with a copy of your US passport. If you phone is locked unlock it online. it costs $20. Once in Italy get a sim card there with internet plan and such.

keep it simple and you wont have problems.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:01 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,244,359 times
A crowd can be your best friend. Learn the word for "thief", and be prepared to shout it loud and clear. Everybody is on your side.

Twice, in South America, I saw a situation where a bag-grabber tried to take a handbag, and immediately, the nearby people gave chase, caught the thief, administered justice, and left him bleeding in the street. In some countries, the police are regarded as the enemy, and nobody wants them anywhere near the scene, ever.

In Burundi, waiting for the ferry to Zaire, somebody grabbed my bag sitting next to me on the ground, and ran with it. Locals gave chase before I even knew what happened, the thief dropped my bag and ran for his life. From that point on, I learned never to set my bag down without putting my foot through the strap.

Obviously, you cannot depend on being safe for this reason, but it is a strong factor in your favor and your first line of defense (after caution).

Old 04-17-2018, 05:49 AM

51,395 posts, read 37,068,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I think that shooting star you saw might have been the point flying way up there over your head.

Did someone claim there is nowhere in South Florida more dangerous than the places in Europe? Nope.
No the opposite. They claimed there is nowhere in south Florida that is safer than Europe.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:36 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,165,972 times
I never really get the argument that "well I'm better off staying here in the good 'ol USA than to get pick pocketed in [insert country here]." It's apples to oranges but you're more than likely to get shot in a school or in your own backyard than to have something violent happen to you in Europe. The same caution you use here should be used everywhere. Don't walk around with your passport, don't walk around with all your cash and credit cards. It's common sense. My first time in Europe, yeah I was a bit wide eyed b/c all I kept reading about was pick pockets and it was overwhelming but I wouldn't trade the experience for the world. There's so much out there in the world to see, why limit yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel