Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In what terms would you describe the event?
Wonderful adventure 27 81.82%
Horrible disaster 6 18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 06:45 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,207,641 times

Advertisements

Consider this scenario. In a third world capital, you book a tour to a remote attraction. On the way, a bridge is out, the tour bus driver knows an alternate route, gets stuck on a back road, damages the bus, and it'll take a day to get an alternate bus. Your group is fed local food by the nearby villagers, who string up hammocks for you to sleep in. When you get home and tell folks about the event, is it described as a wonderful adventure, the high point of your whole trip,, or a horrible disaster that spoiled your vacatioln?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 06:48 PM

5,576 posts, read 6,504,647 times
People tend to look at anything outside their own plans as a disaster. If they would just "go with the flow" any thing one does in life can be an adventure!

Old 04-11-2018, 06:52 PM

I always think if this as an illustration of the difference between a Tourist and a Traveler.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:18 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Somewhere inbetween. While it's not a horrible disaster, and quite amazing that the villagers showed such hospitality, I would not find it a wonderful adventure. I'm NOT the sleep outdoors in a hammock type.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:05 PM

11,794 posts, read 12,028,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Somewhere inbetween. While it's not a horrible disaster, and quite amazing that the villagers showed such hospitality, I would not find it a wonderful adventure. I'm NOT the sleep outdoors in a hammock type.
^^^^^This.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:34 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
Sleeping on a hammock overnight is not my thing. You probably will be eaten alive by mosquitoes overnight as well.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Sleeping on a hammock overnight is not my thing. You probably will be eaten alive by mosquitoes overnight as well.
There are very very few places in the world where the mosquitoes are anywhere near as bad as in the eastern USA. I've slept outdoors in quite a few countries in Africa and South America, and window screens are rare in places I've slept indoors. Can barely remember any mosquitoes. Nets in hotels are normally provided only in places where there is a high malaria risk.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:19 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Adventure and a fantastic travel story to tell.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:38 AM

61,685 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Adventure and a fantastic travel story to tell.
^^^^^ This! I would be thrilled if that had happened to me!

Old 04-12-2018, 06:56 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
We've had similar happen a few times, neither was overnight in a hammock but definitely moved all plans back a day.

Most recently in Philippines, bridge was out due to rain/landslide so we ended up in this parking lot of vans/buses/cars that were stuck with nowhere to go. We didn't really know what was going on so just followed everyone else from our van around (they were all locals) and hanged out in town. Eventually the driver came to find us all and we walked to cross on a footpath, then waited in a town on other side until eventually another van from same company arrived from other direction (probably from our destination hours away) to continue journey.

That's my wife with the purple backpack trying to figure out what the **** is going on.

I'd rate that one as adventure, as I'm sure cebuan knows Pinoys are really laid back friendly people who love to eat, so we had no problems hanging out in the shade snacking for as long as needed.

Another time in India our bus broke out in the middle of nowhere. This time was much less comfortable since nothing around so we all had to wait in a field for hours with a few goats for company. What they did was wait until a bus of exact same model was passing in the other direction, flag it down, and somehow got a part of tool from it to eventually get ours going again. That time was much more of an irritation since was really hot and not much shade.

I wouldn't try to evaluate 'em as difference between tourist and traveler, that sounds like a douchey artificial distinction. Everyone is different and has different things they like/dislike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel