Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 08:14 PM

3,005 posts, read 1,516,907 times

Advertisements

I am planning a cross-country trip. I want maps of all the states I will cross and more I might cross. I requested maps at state sites, but they might not all arrive in time. I could buy an atlas online, but that might also be late. If I can't find an atlas in a local bookstore, then looking for maps in travel centers may be my last option. I probably will have some sort of GPS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 08:46 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,830,251 times
I do. There are always some maps in the truck, lots more of them at home. Also some state atlases and one of North America. I do the planning on paper maps and use them for the drive, too. BUT on road trips I also bring an iPad, which theoretically could be used to look up online maps if WiFi is available. (I haven’t used it except when stopped for the evening.)

I wear a GPS and fitness watch almost 24/7, but the GPS is only turned on while hiking/paddling/biking or doing tests with it against an old-school compass.

In addition to visitor welcome centers, book stores, AAA, and outdoor gear stores, check at truck stops. The big ones such as Flying J often sell both maps and atlases.

Old 03-23-2022, 11:36 PM

84 posts, read 59,588 times
Physical Maps could be very handy during this time of international distress / hacking / cyber warfare.

pretty easy to take out our 'sparse and fragile' USA coverage of data / GPS.

Better hang onto your maps. (For awhile)

I do keep at least (2) Map apps (GPS enabled*) on mobile device (While it still is charged and working)

OSM and Maps.me

*Google maps is pretty useless in the boonies of USA or places like China (No Google data except through VPN)

Old 03-23-2022, 11:44 PM

7,941 posts, read 3,543,607 times
I keep paper maps in my car definitely. I only use GPS if someone is in the car with me and they use it off their phone. But, I will look up a route on Google and email it to myself also. I find I understand the road system and layout better if I study a regular printed map.

There was an out of town couple that died in the mountains because they followed the GPS. Actually, maybe the woman and children lived and it was just the man that died (I don't completely remember the story). It made an impression on me not to rely on GPS.

Death by GPS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_by_GPS

Old 03-24-2022, 12:19 AM

16,415 posts, read 30,518,102 times
Two comments:

1) Yes, I do carry maps around in my car, ESPECIALLY ON LONG TRIPS.

2) When you get in rural areas out west, you will find that Waze and Google maps are very unreliable.

Old 03-24-2022, 12:36 AM

16,415 posts, read 30,518,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
There was an out of town couple that died in the mountains because they followed the GPS. Actually, maybe the woman and children lived and it was just the man that died (I don't completely remember the story). It made an impression on me not to rely on GPS.

Death by GPS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_by_GPS

I think that you are referring to the James Kim case in 2006. However, the man was trying to leave I-5 to get to Gold Beach, OR. He stopped at a convenience store and the clerk gave him directions as to the best way to the coast. Instead, he relied on his GPS and went on some seasonal logging roads and got lost. As he was in the coastal mountains, there was no cell connection to call for help. So, he went out looking for help.

The couple did pretty much everything wrong.

https://www.nrtoday.com/ten-years-ag...6d568d7d7.html

At one point, there was an entire website dedicated to this tragedy. The author was attacked for his lack of sympathy toward the family and the like. However, I thought that guy did a phenomenal job listing all of the mistakes made.

I personally thought that the family was looking to blame everyone else for a really poor decision.

Old 03-24-2022, 12:49 AM

7,941 posts, read 3,543,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I think that you are referring to the James Kim case in 2006. However, the man was trying to leave I-5 to get to Gold Beach, OR. He stopped at a convenience store and the clerk gave him directions as to the best way to the coast. Instead, he relied on his GPS and went on some seasonal logging roads and got lost. As he was in the coastal mountains, there was no cell connection to call for help. So, he went out looking for help.

The couple did pretty much everything wrong.

https://www.nrtoday.com/ten-years-ag...6d568d7d7.html

At one point, there was an entire website dedicated to this tragedy. The author was attacked for his lack of sympathy toward the family and the like. However, I thought that guy did a phenomenal job listing all of the mistakes made.

I personally thought that the family was looking to blame everyone else for a really poor decision.

It made an impression on me (along with some wayward local directions that led me astray). I did not get the technology package for my car and have never used GPS. Sometimes the old ways are best.

Old 03-24-2022, 05:11 AM

44,180 posts, read 45,031,656 times
I haven't driven in years and don't have a car. But if I did have one I would consider having a map or two in the car's glove compartment.

Old 03-24-2022, 06:02 AM

20,711 posts, read 16,582,944 times
I have an old atlas that I got from my insurance agent for free years ago. I know it's outdated but it has all the major roads on it and I do like a physical map to better "orient" myself. With a cell and online sources travel is easier than before and you're less likely to get lost but it doesn't hurt to have a backup map to get you back to civilization.

Old 03-24-2022, 06:53 AM

12,723 posts, read 7,684,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots23 View Post
pretty easy to take out our 'sparse and fragile' USA coverage of data / GPS.

Better hang onto your maps. (For awhile)
I download everywhere I'm going for use offline, so data isn't really required. Regarding GPS, if my phone's GPS can't tell me exactly where I am it is no worse than a paper map, since they don't either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel