Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 05:12 PM
KCZ

4,696 posts, read 3,725,845 times

Advertisements

I had a great time on a solo trip to Great Britain. I drove all over England and spent time sight-seeing and window shopping in London. I think it's best to do solo trips to countries where you speak the language, otherwise it can be very isolating without a travel companion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 08:05 PM

4,581 posts, read 5,713,739 times
Post Easier to list the places I would NOT travel solo

Plenty more good replies in this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/trave...ling-solo.html

I travel solo quite a bit, here's a short list of places I would not go solo:
  • Hawaii (Reputation as a romantic place for couples)
  • Paris (Ditto, plus language barrier)
  • Rio, other parts of South America (Safety)
  • Baltimore (Ditto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I had am amazing time as a solo male spending a week in Amsterdam.
Amsterdam is fine for a solo traveler; admittedly I knew enough of the language to be able to read maps, menus, etc -- would have been more difficult with a full language barrier. The other way I "cheat" is to post on local-oriented forums looking for a local with good english to act as a tour guide and translator. I don't get a lot of replies, I think most people take my request the wrong way

I've done 3-10 days solo in Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, and Tokyo with no problem. Traveling off the beaten path into less urban Japan requires somebody who knows the language and culture. Same goes with Hong Kong (no problem) versus mainland China (challenging).

One downside to solo travel, at least for me, is when I spend more than a couple days in the same place it is easy to get into a rut when I don't have a travel companion (or a local guide) to incentivize trying something different. For example, I spent 4 days in Reykjavik but ended up finishing the evening in the same bar three nights in a row.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 09-05-2017 at 08:20 PM..

Old 09-07-2017, 12:05 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,802,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Phuket, Thailand.

It's probably one of the few destinations where solo travel is more fun.
Why's that? I am going there solo btw. I was going to try and drag someone with me but maybe I won't anymore...

Old 09-07-2017, 10:18 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,730,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Why's that? I am going there solo btw. I was going to try and drag someone with me but maybe I won't anymore...
Sorry I should qualify my statement.

Phuket is best for solo male travelers.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:30 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,936,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Any place worth traveling to is a great place for solo travel.
This is the best answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Sorry I should qualify my statement.

Phuket is best for solo male travelers.
You were asked why, twice, and won't provide an answer.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:55 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,781,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post

Financially poor and sexually frustrated American males all love Thailand. That's where their meager wealth all of a sudden feels like a big deal and their ego is not constantly hurt any more. That's where any nobody in the US suddenly becomes popular with local females and they stop feeling completely undesirable as they do in their home country.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:24 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,810,080 times
Ireland and Scotland are good for solo travelers who want to meet locals. There seems to be a law in Belfast that women are not permitted to eat alone. You get your chair dragged over to another table with a group. Be flexible!

Old 09-09-2017, 12:23 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,730,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
This is the best answer

Sex tourism.

Old 06-28-2019, 01:55 AM

1 posts, read 299 times
Default Best Places to travel solo in India

This is one of the most magnificent destinations for travelers in India.

Munnar
Nainital
Mysore
Udaipur
Shimla
Varanasi
Sikkim
Hampi

Old 06-28-2019, 12:36 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,810,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Any place worth traveling to is a great place for solo travel. I prefer traveling by myself.
What they said^^^^^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel