Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 09:20 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,612,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
What does religion have to do with anything?
Please refrain from the discriminatory comments.
The point was that Bible Thumpers are annoying always talking about their religion. Religion should be like private parts. You don't whip it out in public and you don't shove it into people's faces. It's for you and you alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 10:15 AM

2,543 posts, read 3,753,471 times
My husband can be a PITA when traveling to a new place. Like another poster's ex husband, mine also gets anxious in a new place, doubly so when it's a country with no English spoken. I remember how freaked out he was when I dragged him to Mexico for the first time and discovered that I wanted to take a public bus everywhere we went. He loves the beach and would prefer to spend all of his vacation days on the beach doing nothing. So for the rest of that Mexican vacation, I 'parked' him at the beach while I went exploring.

After that, we came to a solution: I travel solo when I'm feeling adventurous, and take the beach vacation trips with him. Everyone's happy.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:15 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,667,282 times
Yes, on family graduation trip, I had to share a room with my sister's mother-in-law who suffered from OCD. She got up constantly during the night to wash her hands (flipping on the room light every time), talked loudly to herself on the way to the bathroom, left the door open and emitted the most godawful smell that had me gagging (I think it might have been some medication she was taking or because she was a vegan who took several vitamins). I had to lock the bathroom door while I was in there, because she would bang on it and demand to be let in to wash her hands. The one time I forgot to lock it, she barged in while I was getting out the shower and used the toilet. There were no other rooms available and I would have slept in the hotel lobby if I could.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:42 PM

19,221 posts, read 25,529,638 times
Many years ago, I made the mistake of traveling through Mexico with a friend from college. While I had been aware before the trip that he was a picky eater, I didn't realize the extent of his "pickiness" until it was too late.

Imagine going to a foreign country with--obviously--vastly different culinary traditions, accompanied by a person whose diet consists only of roast beef, pork chops, fried chicken, and meatloaf. I thought that if we dined exclusively in hotel dining rooms, we could at least find roast beef and pork chops for him. However, even when we could find those viands for him, he only liked his mother's roast beef, pork chops, fried chicken, and meatloaf. Ergo--he could not be satisfied by any offerings from a restaurant.

One night, when he ordered pork chops, he complained that they had a "hammy" taste.
On another night, he ordered roast beef with mushroom gravy, and then complained that it had a "mushroomy" taste.
The fried chicken was never "right", and I managed to convince him to NOT order meatloaf in Mexico.

Needless to say, we couldn't visit any authentically Mexican restaurants, and had to limit ourselves to places for tourists who wouldn't dare to try anything that wasn't totally familiar to them. And, of course, even if something was familiar to him in theory, since nothing tasted exactly the same as what came from his mother's kitchen, he was borderline miserable the entire time that we were in Mexico, and his feelings helped to make things much less enjoyable for me.

The bottom line is that one should probably avoid traveling with an adult whose tastes are on a level similar to those of the average 8 year old. And, one should definitely avoid traveling to a foreign country with somebody of that nature.

Additionally, please allow me to clarify that I blame myself for picking him as a traveling companion.

Last edited by Retriever; 04-27-2016 at 12:51 PM..

Old 04-27-2016, 12:47 PM

16,414 posts, read 30,444,783 times
10 hours of Neil Diamond on a road trip ....

I never prayed to lose my hearing before that trip.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

Cracklin' Rosie get on board...

Old 04-27-2016, 01:03 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,667,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

I AM I SAID....

LOL! You poor thing!

Old 04-27-2016, 01:34 PM

As an addendum to my earlier post (#34 in this thread) about the travails of traveling in Mexico with somebody whose menu choices were EXTREMELY limited, I just recalled another dining incident:

One night, none of his desired dishes were available, so I suggested that, because he liked Roast Beef, he might enjoy ordering the restaurant's Filet Mignon. That provoked a temper tantrum that I was "trying to trick him into eating fish".

Despite my attempts to explain that "filet" simply describes a piece of meat or fish that is boneless, and that Filet Mignon was an extremely tender, boneless beef steak, it was to no avail.
Nope! I was clearly "trying to trick him into eating fish".
I don't recall what he did wind up eating that night, and I sometimes wonder if he ever found out in later life that Filet Mignon isn't "fish".

No, it isn't easy traveling with somebody who hasn't advanced beyond the stage of a typical 8 year old child when it comes to food.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:33 PM

4,257 posts, read 4,798,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
As an addendum to my earlier post (#34 in this thread) about the travails of traveling in Mexico with somebody whose menu choices were EXTREMELY limited, I just recalled another dining incident:

One night, none of his desired dishes were available, so I suggested that, because he liked Roast Beef, he might enjoy ordering the restaurant's Filet Mignon. That provoked a temper tantrum that I was "trying to trick him into eating fish".

Despite my attempts to explain that "filet" simply describes a piece of meat or fish that is boneless, and that Filet Mignon was an extremely tender, boneless beef steak, it was to no avail.
Nope! I was clearly "trying to trick him into eating fish".
I don't recall what he did wind up eating that night, and I sometimes wonder if he ever found out in later life that Filet Mignon isn't "fish".

No, it isn't easy traveling with somebody who hasn't advanced beyond the stage of a typical 8 year old child when it comes to food.

Omg this is HILARIOUS...lmao

Old 04-27-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Omg this is HILARIOUS...lmao
In retrospect--44 years later--it is indeed hilarious.
However, when I was actually experiencing/enduring this situation, it was...anything but enjoyable...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel