Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:31 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,417,978 times

Advertisements

I LOVE Jet Blue...however, they were so late in posting fares this year that I ended up booking with Air Tran..I got a Non-stop flight from Rochester,NY to Ft. Lauderdale about $35 cheaper the JB. Hope it's not too bad!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 12:51 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,959,498 times
I usually fly Northwest or United domestic.

KLM or Singapore Air internationally

Old 02-13-2008, 04:00 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,834,759 times
Aer lingus as we go home at least twice a year.
If I had a choice, I would never fly them again. I find their staff rude, their fares are expensive, their fuel surcharge this year is $70 each way!!

We have been on the plane with a drunken hostess, slurring her speech. Last year we were flying from ny to Dublin and then onto Birmingham. Our initial flight was delayed so we were rushing thru customs. One aer lingus person was so rude ; she asked for all the spanish travels to go with her as their flight was soon. I asked her if we could go too as our flight to birmingham was also going soon, she told us in no uncertain terms to go back on line. Therefore we missed the connection and stayed in Dublin for 6 hours with out two small boys. they did give us lunch vouchers but still.

It is well known in the irish community here that if you call aer lingus and have an irish accent you are treated terribly. If you have a different accent, you are ok.

funny thing is that it is the immigrants that go home a lot that actually help aer lingus pay their salaries ; not the people that go once in their lifetime. I was at a wedding in Ireland one time and everyone at the table worked in Aer lingus ; what they were saying about the airline was nobody's business ; and it wasnt good.

just my two cents worth.
d

Old 02-19-2008, 08:09 AM

542 posts, read 1,933,080 times
Northwest. I've never flown anything else. The flights were always on time and I've never had an issue. If it aint broke...don't fix it!!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:23 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,682,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Aer lingus as we go home at least twice a year.
If I had a choice, I would never fly them again. I find their staff rude, their fares are expensive, their fuel surcharge this year is $70 each way!!

We have been on the plane with a drunken hostess, slurring her speech. Last year we were flying from ny to Dublin and then onto Birmingham. Our initial flight was delayed so we were rushing thru customs. One aer lingus person was so rude ; she asked for all the spanish travels to go with her as their flight was soon. I asked her if we could go too as our flight to birmingham was also going soon, she told us in no uncertain terms to go back on line. Therefore we missed the connection and stayed in Dublin for 6 hours with out two small boys. they did give us lunch vouchers but still.

It is well known in the irish community here that if you call aer lingus and have an irish accent you are treated terribly. If you have a different accent, you are ok.

funny thing is that it is the immigrants that go home a lot that actually help aer lingus pay their salaries ; not the people that go once in their lifetime. I was at a wedding in Ireland one time and everyone at the table worked in Aer lingus ; what they were saying about the airline was nobody's business ; and it wasnt good.

just my two cents worth.
d

Wow, that's interesting because I always find them really friendly,comfortable and they are usually the cheapest fares from the UK and the leg-room is quite good for economy.

We've flown Aer Lingus so many times now and we've never had any problems. I don't have an Irish accent though so maybe that's it !

Old 02-20-2008, 01:02 AM

1,999 posts, read 5,009,785 times
Default love the DC-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon2vegas View Post
Northwest. I've never flown anything else. The flights were always on time and I've never had an issue. If it aint broke...don't fix it!!
The best part about Northwest is the DC-9s. Some of those planes are from the mid 1960's. Long Beach Douglas built a rugged stout airplane that has stood the test of time. The Boeing planes from that era have all had to be scrapped. Flying on a DC-9 is like stepping back into the golden age of air travel I hope to ride on one again before Northwest retires the fleet in the next few years.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-20-2008 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 02-21-2008, 12:01 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,872,758 times
I only fly Alaska Airlines.

There are other companies that cover the area that I travel, but Alaska has the most non-stop flights and the best prices.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:48 PM

8,994 posts, read 21,236,072 times
Over the last couple years, I've flown AirTran for business and Midwest for pleasure. I prefer Midwest for its comfy, roomy seats (not to mention the chocolate chip cookies). But I also like AirTran's XM Satellite Radio service. I'm groovin' the whole flight!

Old 07-21-2009, 04:34 PM

111 posts, read 436,222 times
I usually fly Northwest, even when they aren't the cheapest. I also book a good deal of my travel on Orbitz and find myself selecting the Northwest flights even if they're more expensive than some of the others listed. I guess as long as they price isn't too extreme compared to the others, I'll probably continue doing so.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:42 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,584,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
Southwest Airlines. I know this sounds insaine, but I am terrified of flying (although I do it quite often) and they have the best safety record. Last time I researched that is. I have had problems with Delta canceling flights suddenly for various reasons.

I'm with you on this one. I fly Southwest whenver possible because they've never killed a passenger that I know of. Plus, they fly only 737's, which greatly simplifies maintenance. However, they can be quite irritating when they start changing gates at the last minute or when every trip you take seems to be through Chicago, where you have to change planes.

Airtrans: That's a re-branded airline which used to operate under a different name (I forget what it was right off hand) and they were in a LOT of hot water because of maintenance and cargo procedures which resulted in a rash of spectacular crashes. One nosedived so deep into the Florida swamps that they never even recovered all the bodies. As I recall, it was caused by loading flammable goods in the cargo bay.

But, as a fellow passenger once remarked, "You can bet they're the safest airline in the sky NOW!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel