Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:17 PM

812 posts, read 4,095,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
It gets worse. My parents just flew to Hawaii this weekend. Not sure what airline they flew but they were charged for a pillow and a blanket. I mean come on, they don't feed you anymore, now on a 10 hour flight you don't even get a blanket and a pillow. Are you supposed to carry it on now too? Ridiculus.
They most likely make up for it in their lower ticket prices. Yesterday, you got that pillow and paid a much higher fare for it.

-Interesting that you brought up Hawaii as well. Airline revenue is a complicated process, but in the end it comes down to yield, and Hawaii just so happens to a vacation market - not that great for yield. This goes back to the OP as well. The customers that this baggage rule effects (mentioned were the non-Frequent Flyers mostly) are the ones that don't make the airlines much money anyway - the "fly once a year" folk book as cheap as possible (fares are cheap these days) and often on vacation routes to boot - notorious for low yields because half the people are going on the 49 dollar special, and the other half is going on miles.

I love customer service and long for the golden age of air travel, but come on, it's not going to realistically happen when oil is what it is, and people still demand 49 dollar fares to Fort Meyers. Flying is simply too cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 04:11 AM

13,392 posts, read 45,148,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
They most likely make up for it in their lower ticket prices. Yesterday, you got that pillow and paid a much higher fare for it.
Yes--that's how it is.
Quote:
I love customer service and long for the golden age of air travel, but come on, it's not going to realistically happen when oil is what it is, and people still demand 49 dollar fares to Fort Meyers. Flying is simply too cheap.
Yup.
Flying with a purse and a carryon is the way to go.
The Luxury Age of travel is over, and requires a different mindset.
A traveler must be prepared and self-reliant rather than coddled and relaxed.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:02 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,038,879 times
Well, I think it's good they charge for pillows and stuff. I mean, I'm not going to use a bankie that some other person sneezed all over. Yuk. I carry my own.

But I really think they should charge extra for carrying on luggage. It's ridiculous what people bring on now, and it will get worse if they charge you to check it. It they made everyone check their luggage, we'd get boarded a lot faster.

But this is probably why I'm not an airline executive.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:54 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,886,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Just wait. I'm sure several other carriers will follow suit.
You were right.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:28 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,470,941 times
Just so you all know, United did not pioneer this. American Airlines did this first. United was next and US Airways was shortly after. Continental Airlines announced they are going to study if this is successful and then maybe follow suit. By the way, the charge for the FIRST BAG is $15, NOT $25. It is $25 for a second bag.

So, it is $15 to check your first piece of luggage on:
American Airlines
United Airlines
US Airways

Basically, it sucks because three of the largest carriers have already put this into play. Fortunately my husband is an elite with United and American, who are the largest airlines here in Los Angeles, so we are exempt. Virtually everywhere we fly is served by these two airlines out of LA, while most other airlines require connecting. We try to fly Southwest as much as possible, but they don't do trans-cons like LAX-New York or LAX- Honolulu.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:36 AM

13,392 posts, read 45,148,639 times
This gives an idea on extra baggage charges as of today:
Domestic Airline Fee Chart

Old 06-19-2008, 06:00 AM

6,617 posts, read 11,381,689 times
This was a marketing research done on a few Philly papers awhile back (using a fictitious airline)... but I do like their idea... Airfare by weight.

Derrie-Air - Pack Less. Weigh Less. Pay Less. (http://flyderrie-air.com/derrieair.htm - broken link)

In essence, the more fuel you cost, the more you pay.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:35 AM

6,587 posts, read 17,603,200 times
That is hysterical!!!

The real truth is that the airlines are bleeding money right now to cope with higher fuel prices. I can bet we're going to see more of them filing for bankruptcy; this time, though, some of them may never come out.

I'm not going to complain about baggage fees; I'm just grateful that I'm not an airline employee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
This was a marketing research done on a few Philly papers awhile back (using a fictitious airline)... but I do like their idea... Airfare by weight.

Derrie-Air - Pack Less. Weigh Less. Pay Less. (http://flyderrie-air.com/derrieair.htm - broken link)

In essence, the more fuel you cost, the more you pay.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:45 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,333,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
That is hysterical!!!

The real truth is that the airlines are bleeding money right now to cope with higher fuel prices. I can bet we're going to see more of them filing for bankruptcy; this time, though, some of them may never come out.

I'm not going to complain about baggage fees; I'm just grateful that I'm not an airline employee!
My fear is that we are going to be left with fewer choices in terms of airlines, thus making it even more expensive to fly. I see a huge merger in the not so distant future.

Interestingly enough, though, Southwest seems to be going through this unscathed while the legacy airlines are hanging on for dear life.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:53 AM

6,587 posts, read 17,603,200 times
Southwest was smart enough to hedge on fuel prices, which is why it can continue to be so competitive on ticket prices, lack of baggage fees, etc. The percentage of fuel hedged continues to drop each year, though, so it's only a matter of time before Southwest will have to deal with current fuel prices, too.

I agree that we're probably going to end up with fewer choices, and it will be more expensive to fly. We may see a return to the time when only rich people could afford to travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
My fear is that we are going to be left with fewer choices in terms of airlines, thus making it even more expensive to fly. I see a huge merger in the not so distant future.

Interestingly enough, though, Southwest seems to be going through this unscathed while the legacy airlines are hanging on for dear life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel