Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 03:44 AM

2,767 posts, read 1,599,771 times

Advertisements

A'dam. Spend the entire week there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 12:04 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,175,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Question for you and others: is there any reason not to fly w/Icelandair? I'm not trying to be cheap, but $900 one way certainly beats the 2 grand that we would have to pay with any other airline. It seems like the only con is no food, but we could probably just get snacks or something.
I'm not sure you read beachmouse's post so I'll repeat what he/she said. Don't book 2 one-ways, book an open jaw using a multi-city tool. Not sure where you live, but if it's NYC, you can do Newark-Paris on any day around Memorial Day and come back Lisbon-Newark 7-10 days later for $984 all included, and that's not a particularly great deal. Pretty much any reasonable open jaw to Europe will not cost much more than a roundtrip flight, and will sometimes cost much less.

edit -- $801-810 for NYC-London then Spain (Malaga, Barcelona)-NYC 10 days later. and so on..

Old 09-19-2015, 12:12 AM

206 posts, read 241,111 times
I think you found your luxury. I would just plan to do this as a regular thing...

Enjoy every second of planning and seeing everything that interests you.

There are some volunteer network websites where you can get room/board for 2months+ in exchange for working in tourist areas, hotels, parks, farms...Is cool way to see things cheaply for extended stay and really see the culture closer. The websites all contain reviews about the location so you know what you are walking into...

Really consider AirBnb...offers good opportunities for savings with pensions. Convent is also good deal in Italy and doesn't allow any tourists to be scammed.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:45 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,173,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS101 View Post
I think you found your luxury. I would just plan to do this as a regular thing...

Enjoy every second of planning and seeing everything that interests you.

There are some volunteer network websites where you can get room/board for 2months+ in exchange for working in tourist areas, hotels, parks, farms...Is cool way to see things cheaply for extended stay and really see the culture closer. The websites all contain reviews about the location so you know what you are walking into...

Really consider AirBnb...offers good opportunities for savings with pensions. Convent is also good deal in Italy and doesn't allow any tourists to be scammed.
Yeah I'm looking into those kinds of rentals to keep hotel prices low. And yeah I do think I found my luxury/calling. We both love to travel, we're getting married in a year and we're holding off on kids for 3-4 years just to travel and see the world. Our first European experience was this past May and I just fell in love, the biggest "we're here" moment was when we got off the Trocodero metro stop and walked a bit and the Eiffel Tower was there, just amazing.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:04 AM

556 posts, read 952,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Yeah I'm looking into those kinds of rentals to keep hotel prices low. And yeah I do think I found my luxury/calling. We both love to travel, we're getting married in a year and we're holding off on kids for 3-4 years just to travel and see the world. Our first European experience was this past May and I just fell in love, the biggest "we're here" moment was when we got off the Trocodero metro stop and walked a bit and the Eiffel Tower was there, just amazing.
By all means, wait to have kids if you want to wait, and travel as much as you can/want before kids, but don't stop once you do have kids. There are kids living in every community, so there are kid-friendly sites and activities everywhere. Traveling with kids can also make it easier to connect with locals. You probably won't be able to take as many trips because you will need to buy additional plan tickets, but a week in Europe with the family can be had for as little as a week at Disney World. I have wonderful memories of trips to Europe and Asia when I was little. We took our first international trip when I was 8, and it definitely shaped my world view and perspective.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:37 AM

1,601 posts, read 3,000,700 times
For just one week, including transport there and back, I'd pick Venice, Munich, or Prague. I wouldn't be jumping around much at all with that short period of time.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:35 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,850,772 times
Are you set on Europe? You could do Costa Rica for a lot cheaper. Great trip, albeit different in feel from a Euro-trip, LDO.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:20 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,726,372 times
I would say Poland.

I was in 15 countries in Europe this past summer.

Of all the cities I visited, Krakow was by far my favorite. Very cheap, beautiful people, good nightlife, good sights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel