Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 11:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,918 posts, read 58,711,313 times

Advertisements

Traveling alone is excellent and you still meet many great people (sometimes ezr!)

As a couple we both LOVE to travel (50 - 80% of time), but at least 50% of our trips are solo due to eldercare, kid, home, pet, livestock (Farm), PT job, businesses and/or other responsibilities / interests.

We have very different tastes, and respect that... we each have our own 'road trip preferences' too! So... we have a 22 mpg RV and a lot of 50 mpg cars. Sometimes this too is solo. Often we meet at airports and travel together for a long weekend. Last yr I was living and working overseas, so we met at different airports in places we wanted to see and spent a week to month traveling together, and joined up before / and or after in the destination country I was working.

Next yr we are doing a 'RTW' (Round the world) and I expect we will split up at hub cities and travel to places we each desire to visit.

There is no 'manipulation / threats / told-you-so's.' 'fairness / equality' is NOT part of our equation ("you spend more than I" (on travel / toys / contributions / free time)).

Life is much to short to argue / play games over items of pure choice.

I am sure glad we mutually enjoy and grant each other that privilege.

BTW: We do this on a VERY tight budget...~$20/ day + transportation.
No pension - early retirees (single earner... hourly wage... no inheritance, apart from $250k in bills from a disabled parent at age 18). We survived so far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 05:51 AM

44,154 posts, read 44,984,302 times
One either travels alone or finds an alternate traveling companion.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:54 AM

3,057 posts, read 2,964,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon1 View Post
Not sure if this has been bought up.

What do you do when your Husband or wife doesn't want to fly anymore and you do.
I've traveled alone myself and found (to my surprise) that I really enjoy it; now I probably prefer to travel alone. But then, I do prefer to be by myself a lot of times. I would possibly give it a try just to see. If not, I think there's probably groups you can see about joining, possibly in a nearby city (if you live somewhat close to a larger city) or online with this interest; I'm sure you're not alone in not having anyone to travel with.

Quote:
for those who travel alone isn't it lonely.
I don't have a problem with it, but then like I said above I enjoy being by myself, always have. I don't get lonely until I've been without a companion for a long, long time like years.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:06 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,848,817 times
Quote:
for those who travel alone isn't it lonely.
no!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel