Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 02:27 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,094,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
That's just so sad...

Make a trip to get beer, and you choose Blue...
I don't drink beer, but many of my relations do. I've been corrected that it Labatt 50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 02:55 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,306,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I don't drink beer, but many of my relations do. I've been corrected that it Labatt 50.
That's not an improvement.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:31 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,904,794 times
I had a passport 50 years ago when I was an Air Force brat. Didn't ever need one to go to Mexico - before fake 9/11 - and see no reason to procure a document with an RFID chip in it. I don't plan on leaving this rock for any reason.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:49 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,093,694 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
That's not an improvement.
Bwahahahaha!

It's funny because it's true.

(This post sponsored by the Campaign For Real Beer.)

Old 08-21-2015, 11:04 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,223,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You need an ID - passport, driver's license, etc. I've used my state issued concealed carry permit before.

You don't need a "fed license", not even sure what you are talking about. There is no "new type driver's license".
Thank you everyone for your answers. Here in Delaware a few years ago they began issuing a new type Driver's license which we were told would be needed for airline or train travel here in the U.S. To get it we must take Birth Certificate and proof of residence along with the license we are renewing to DMV and get the new style or just renew the old one. You need to look closely to see the difference.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:35 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,062,377 times
Quote:
We ran into those checkpoints in Arizona. Our FL DL's worked just fine as ID. No need to pack a passport when driving cross country along I-10 with ZERO need or intention of entering Mexico. I'm more inclined to carry it if I'm going to visit my sister-in-law in Buffalo in case we decide to cross into Canada to get Labatt Blue.
DL works with the internal checkpoints. The Federal Government is NOT yet insisting on internal passports. However, with my last passport (prior to RFID) I was taken to the little room at border crossing everytime. Even the Canadians were taking me to their version of the little room.

When I got the RFID passport all that nonsense stopped. I start getting searched, but it all stops as soon as my passport is scanned.

Likewise in Arizona, I suspect the internal checkpoints are scanning for RFID passports. There are scanning for damn well everything else!!! We breeze right through the checkpoints as long as our passports are in the vehicle. Do not even have to show them!!

Old 08-22-2015, 08:51 PM

7,789 posts, read 6,406,415 times
We have been coast to coast, border to border many times, never carried any special documents, just state drivers license (not enhanced),etc. We do carry passports when crossing the border.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:57 AM

32,674 posts, read 48,152,369 times
Quote:
I disagree. My mother flies once a year to come to visit me. She is in her 80's and her passport expired several years ago. She will NEVER leave the US again, in fact I'm not sure she'll even fly again. No reason for her to go through the process and expense for a passport.
There you have it. Annerk's mother doesn't need a passport so nobody else in the usa needs one, either.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:58 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,063,390 times
If you are not in the driver's seat of a private car, Americans do not need any ID at all to move about inside the borders of the country. If you are on foot or a passenger in a vehicle, police can ask you to verbally state your name and address, but cannot detain you any longer nor demand an answer to any more questions (unless they have probable cause to consider you a suspect for a particular crime or unlawful activity). Even Greyhound bus travel does not require any ID to buy a ticket and get on the bus, but your baggage may be inspected for security.

However, apparently, somebody has found language in the Constitutions to indicate that the founders wanted many of those constitutional rights nullified in the event the internal combustion engine ever got invented.

When I walk to the supermarket, I do not carry any ID at all. But I have my credit card, so in case of accident, authorities can figure out who I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There you have it. Annerk's mother doesn't need a passport so nobody else in the usa needs one, either.
In her defense (something, as she knows, I rarely exercise), she was responding to a poster who made the blanket statement that "everyone should have a passport".

But I agree that every able-bodied person is well-advised to have a passport, if for no other reason than to escape from what might become a tyrannical police state (if it isn't already). Now, the cost of issuing a passport is lower than the cost of issuing a drivers license (in that no examiner, test course, medical test or photographic equipment is required), so the cost of a passport ought to be minimal, if not free. The Passport is a government-required document enabling a person to exercise the inalienable right to travel freely, and like the right to vote, any enabling documentation needs to be provided by the government without burdensome cost to the user. Instead of being a government cash cow, raking in over a billion dollars a year to meet let's-pretend security issues that get people elected..

Last edited by jtur88; 08-23-2015 at 12:23 PM..

Old 08-23-2015, 10:20 PM

7,789 posts, read 6,406,415 times
It is always prudent to carry identification in case you had a medical emergency and were not conscious.

You will not get on an airplane without a photo ID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel