Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 12:31 AM

10,415 posts, read 14,115,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Bad vacation issues have been more about my company than the places I visited. Most of the time I travel solo now.

1. Don't travel with people that constantly need a companion.
2. Only travel with women if you are intimately involved with them...and then start on small trips, so no one gets strangled in the shower.
3. Have a basic understanding of fellow travelers travel experience, and try to be at similar levels.
4. Travel with people who can deal with problems without blowing up. Issues come up...no need for a meltdown.
So true! I travel alone these days as well.

I have two bad vacation stories. One happened when I was 14. We took a family trip down the west coast. We started in Seattle to visit my uncle and that part was fun. However, my parents did not budget well and so were cheap the rest of the trip. This meant eating disgusting cheap cereal in the mornings and McDonald's burgers for lunch while complaining about the cost of dinner. Their idea of travel is to drive for hours on end without stopping. This meant essentially driving from Seattle to Redding, California and only stopping to sleep. We stopped in Sea Lion Caves in Oregon, only went to Nike Town in Portland, and they didn't even wake us when they drove through Redwood National Park. To top it off we collected sand dollars in Washington and they stunk up the cramped car the rest of the trip. We shudder thinking about that one.

The other wasn't so much a vacation as it was a visit. I drove over 13 hours to see extended family and most never returned my phone calls so I never saw them, one barely spoke to me, and the few I did see just talked about how poor I am even though I'm middle class and they are struggling due to poor financial decisions. I cut that trip short by three days and have only been back once since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 02:38 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,230,672 times
Worst vacation that I can remember was senior class trip . They had us drive in a bus to mexico . The bus broke down three times and then when we finally got to mexico , some of the kids drank the water and got sick that night . Montazumas revenge is very true . That same night the hotel caught on fire and burned to the ground and took all of our luggage with it . I told the chaperone I was heading to the border thank god I had my purse and I d with me . I got a lift by a Mexican man and his wife on the back of a p u truck . finally crossed into texas and got on a greyhound bus and made it home 12 hours later . I have never gone back to Mexico and never will .

Old 08-22-2015, 04:47 PM

31,302 posts, read 20,854,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Worst vacation that I can remember was senior class trip . They had us drive in a bus to mexico . The bus broke down three times and then when we finally got to mexico , some of the kids drank the water and got sick that night . Montazumas revenge is very true . That same night the hotel caught on fire and burned to the ground and took all of our luggage with it . I told the chaperone I was heading to the border thank god I had my purse and I d with me . I got a lift by a Mexican man and his wife on the back of a p u truck . finally crossed into texas and got on a greyhound bus and made it home 12 hours later . I have never gone back to Mexico and never will .
That is unfortunate. I go almost every year and love it. I never get sick.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:18 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,172,549 times
Back in the late 90's, roadtrip while going thru a break up with my gf at the time. Went to visit her aunt, from TX to AZ.

We took her middle school age son and his best friend. Couldn't agree on correct radio volume, ended up just turning it off. Boys in the back seat being boys. A/C started making strange acrid smell half way to destination, had to turn that off, too. She was allergic to wheat, but insisted on eating big hamburger with the bun at some truck stop. Ended up going into shock a couple days later while we were visiting a desolate desert museum. She did have one of those pens to jab in her leg to stay awake, but still had to be rushed to the hospital. Not sure why we even went that museum, I may have secretly wondered if there was any peyote, just to see what it looked like... no such luck.

The aunt wasn't too shabby for being in her mid 60's, almost started to feel a bit of flirting happening between us, since gf was pretty much out of it and distant toward me the whole time. Guess I wasn't as concerned with the hospital thing as I should have been. Aunt carried herself well, somewhat tall and distinguished looking, cultured and informed. Probably was a knock out back in the day. Shame that she was so loopy, though. Talked pretty much incessantly, and kept going off on strange tangents... something about tantra?

Got kicked out of that situation soon after getting back to TX, thank goodness.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:05 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,278,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Rose View Post
Cooperstown NY....middle of nowhere...didn't like it much. The only reason I'd go back up there is Ommegang Brewery...the whole place for me at the time was just boring, and I do like baseball but, just bleh.
Cooperstown to me is a place you stop in for a day or two. The Brewery, the Baseball Museum, and the Farmers Museum can all easily be visited in that time frame. It's a decent place to stop if you are on your way to or from someplace else. I can't imagine spending a week there or making it the ultimate destination.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:23 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,275,748 times
I can think of bad episodes, or difficult times on vacations, but no overall bad vacations. there are highs and lows to all vacations, but I take most things in stride. Sleeping on the side of the road after searching for a hotel for hours, getting sick, wife passing stones on a plane when our twins were 1, overnight train rides when the heater broke in winter, dull days, cranky kids, snowstorms in the mountains in July...all a part of some great adventures I've had.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:02 PM

33,100 posts, read 36,804,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I can think of bad episodes, or difficult times on vacations, but no overall bad vacations. there are highs and lows to all vacations, but I take most things in stride. Sleeping on the side of the road after searching for a hotel for hours, getting sick, wife passing stones on a plane when our twins were 1, overnight train rides when the heater broke in winter, dull days, cranky kids, snowstorms in the mountains in July...all a part of some great adventures I've had.
That's the way I feel about it. I'd rather go on vacation and hope for the best, deal with the worst than stay at home.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:06 PM

42,410 posts, read 87,432,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Cooperstown to me is a place you stop in for a day or two. The Brewery, the Baseball Museum, and the Farmers Museum can all easily be visited in that time frame. It's a decent place to stop if you are on your way to or from someplace else. I can't imagine spending a week there or making it the ultimate destination.
To people who love baseball (there are a lot of them, for good reason), Cooperstown falls into the category of "Pilgrimage". It's the emotional equivalent of the Vietnam War Memorial. It's a place to touch the names of heroes, almost all the heroes you can name, all in one place.

Personally, it didn't do it for me, but museums never do.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:12 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,779,964 times
Went to Miami for four nights and stayed in a gorgeous hotel right on the beach. It rained for 4 days straight, NON-STOP. We only saw the sun once, while riding to the airport to fly home. Expensive getaway for nothing.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:03 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,287,515 times
Rome! Disgusting filthy old buildings, no one spoke English at all, everyone smoked and cars were replaced with scooters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel