Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 09:44 PM

2,279 posts, read 2,682,683 times

Advertisements

I just can't understand why countries make you buy a visa just for entering their country.
Only thing I can guess is. Is it for control of visitors from out siders or is it just for income?
I think it's just for extra money; which seems to counter the purpose because when people enter that country, of course they are going to spend money and contribute to their economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 09:57 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,942,803 times
It is for control and/or income.

For the US, it is for control purpose, though the US ironically does not hardly control the southern border, and basically gives out visas to select countries with less then stellar citizens while overly restricting other places.

Kyrgyzstan use to have visas for US citizens until they did away with that and the exit fee.

Russia does not have a visa requirement for Kyrgyzstan citizens, yet has one for US citizens.

My opinion the US has one of the most absurd visa policies in the world.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:02 PM

2,279 posts, read 2,682,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It is for control and/or income.

For the US, it is for control purpose, though the US ironically does not hardly control the southern border, and basically gives out visas to select countries with less then stellar citizens while overly restricting other places.

Kyrgyzstan use to have visas for US citizens until they did away with that and the exit fee.

Russia does not have a visa requirement for Kyrgyzstan citizens, yet has one for US citizens.

My opinion the US has one of the most absurd visa policies in the world.
I know about Kyrgyzstan, but that free visa is only for 90 days.
Know what you mean about the US. It's free coming across the south border, long as you can swim. LOL

Old 05-07-2015, 09:53 AM

14,994 posts, read 24,038,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
I just can't understand why countries make you buy a visa just for entering their country.
Only thing I can guess is. Is it for control of visitors from out siders or is it just for income?
I think it's just for extra money; which seems to counter the purpose because when people enter that country, of course they are going to spend money and contribute to their economy.
Both control and income.

Many times it's reciprocity. The US has many controls on US admittance, so a country will do the same thing to US citizens entering their country...just because they can. A sort of tit-for-tat arrangement.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:34 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,507,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
For developing countries it's a way to milk the tourists. Or, in the case of Russia, it's retaliation.

For developed countries it's necessary to avoid a lot of illegal immigration.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:18 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,751,160 times
Many of these visa fees are reciprocal to punish US, Canada and other developed countries. For example, if the US insists on a $50 visa fee for Brazilians, why shouldn't Brazil charge that same fee to Americans? Fair is fair. I'm sure some fairly impoverished places like Cambodia and Laos make lots of money charging for visas from "rich" western tourists.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:12 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,268,848 times
It's part of the cost of travel. If you don't want to pay it, choose a different country to visit.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:19 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,942,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It's part of the cost of travel. If you don't want to pay it, choose a different country to visit.
It is more than about money, it is about getting approved also.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:33 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,415,247 times
Increasingly, Americans are being hit with "reciprocity fees" -- American passport holders have to pay, in addition to the usual token processing fee, a penalty, typically $100 for a single entry 30-day visa. Because the USA makes it so financially burdensome to get a USA visa. This is becoming widespread in Latin America, and I've noticed that a few African countries (Gambia, for one) are doing it now, too.

In at least a half a dozen Latin American countries, all nationalities are just stamped in free at the border, except for USA passports, which require a $100 30-day single entry visa obtained from a consulate in advance.

Americans wishing to retire abroad are also being given the cold shoulder, as countries see Americans as health-care refugees.

The "Ugly American" concept is back, only this time it is not because of the soiled reputation of the traveler, but of the country he comes from.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:49 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,268,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It is more than about money, it is about getting approved also.
How many people can't get approved who should? It seems that most who can't get visas approved have a criminal background or seem to have ulterior motives for their travel (ie unauthorized employment).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel