Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 01:43 PM

676 posts, read 939,518 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are traveling to FL from KY and we will have to stay at pet friendly hotel. BUT, my three small girls are not used to being in a hotel. It is only for 1 night but they will probably bark at other dogs, barking dogs, people talking, etc. How do any of you keep your pets quiet so you don't get thrown out of the hotel ? Please help....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 05:19 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,017,068 times
You can get a sedative from your vet ahead of time, just in case. But we've stayed in pet friendly hotels with our dogs, and wouldn't have known there were other dogs there if we hadn't come across them in the hall. We never heard them and they never heard our dog either.

Life is easier if you stay at a place with outside access right from your room. Our dog did not like the elevator.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:07 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,833,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You can get a sedative from your vet ahead of time, just in case. But we've stayed in pet friendly hotels with our dogs, and wouldn't have known there were other dogs there if we hadn't come across them in the hall. We never heard them and they never heard our dog either.

Life is easier if you stay at a place with outside access right from your room. Our dog did not like the elevator.
I agree...your pups may be the only ones there... You won't get thrown out for a few barks!!!! Good advice about the room having outside access...

We went to visit our grandson a few weeks back pull in and the Days Inn had a police K 9 seminar with about 40 cars and 30 dogs....heard a few bark but not much....Blood Hounds and German Shepherds everywhere!!!! Have fun!!!!

Old 05-04-2015, 08:04 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,467,455 times
Go to BringFido.com - Pet Friendly Hotel & Dog Travel Directory This is a hotel site that features hotels that allow for pups. They can tell you the rules (1 dog, 2 dogs, no limit) the additional fee (can vary even within the same franchise in the same town. We stopped in one town, had two Quality hotels, one charged $25 extra, one charged $75. They will even do the reservations.

But on occasion even they cannot get a reservation. My son was moving to Seattle, had a pup. Was planning to stop in the Salt Lake area. But there was a major bike race taking place, nothing was available in the entire area.

But other than that sort of thing, we have used it several times, been very pleased with the results.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:37 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,295,222 times
When you make your reservation, you might want to call and notify them that you will have your dogs with you and would appreciate if they could put you in a room away from the elevator or doors. Perhaps an end room, so you only have neighbors on one side.

I also think it's a good idea to ask your vet for some sort of sedative. Nothing too strong ... just enough to help them sleep through some of the unfamiliar noises.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,181,964 times
Motel 6's dog policy is no questions asked. You can leave your dogs in your room, unattended, and the Motel requests that you put the Do Not Disrurb sign on your door if you are away so your dogs do not surprise (or eat) the housekeepers. Generally, Motel 6 properties have outdoor stairways leading to rooms with exterior doors.

Motel 6 is much maligned, but they are perfectly satisfactory for an overnight stop, and if they have shortfalls, they are pretty easy to endure for a night. This time of year in the south, everyone will have their AC running and will not hear barking dogs.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,918,194 times
La Quinta is also very dog-friendly and normally a big step up from Motel 6.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:24 AM

19,463 posts, read 27,960,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Go to BringFido.com - Pet Friendly Hotel & Dog Travel Directory This is a hotel site that features hotels that allow for pups. They can tell you the rules (1 dog, 2 dogs, no limit) the additional fee (can vary even within the same franchise in the same town. We stopped in one town, had two Quality hotels, one charged $25 extra, one charged $75. They will even do the reservations.

But on occasion even they cannot get a reservation. My son was moving to Seattle, had a pup. Was planning to stop in the Salt Lake area. But there was a major bike race taking place, nothing was available in the entire area.

But other than that sort of thing, we have used it several times, been very pleased with the results.
That's a good site but double check the hotel website for the current pet policies. Some info on that site is out if date. Further, booking directly with the hotel often provides a cheaper rate.

We travel with our dog frequently. When I make a reservation, I request ground floor and note I have a dog. I put it in the notes or special request section of my online reservation. Why? Because some pet friendly hotels only have some of their rooms assigned to allow pets. If I've told them in writing that I have a pet, their obligation to provide me a room is higher.

LA Quinta, Red Roof and Motel 6 are ALL 100% pet friendly with no additional fees or deposits. No other chains can claim that. WARNING: Most pet friendly hotels only allow a maximum of 1 or 2 pets pet room. Finding someplace that allows 3 may require getting two separate rooms.

We never, never, never leave our dog alone in hotels UNLESS HE IS IN HIS CRATE. You never know if housekeeping or someone is going to have to enter your room and allow the confused pup to escape.

Get all the dogs micro chipped and get ID tags that show your cell number, a friend's number (in case your cell is dead, lost or out of range) and your email address.

Can't help you with the barking issue. Ours was well trained.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:20 AM

19,463 posts, read 27,960,447 times
Just a note to add: This is one of the greatest travel items ever invented if you are traveling with dogs.

Silicone collapsible travel bowls

We keep at least one in the car at all times for water for the dog. When we travel, we bring a larger size for his kibble.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:34 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,460,847 times
I do the best I can to wear mine out and I get a sedative from the vet just in case.

A note about BringFido, when I was looking for pet friendly hotels on the Oregon Coast, I found a lot of hotels that were not on the site. I also made my reservation by calling the hotel to make sure they had me down for a pet friendly room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel