Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 12:49 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,989,910 times

Advertisements

No, I don't consider it a "vacation", but when my kids were small, that's all we could afford, so THEY considered a trip to Grandma's house (with a pool!!!) to be a great vacation!
Whatever works!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 12:55 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
The other at work we were talking about traveling and one of my coworkers said he does not consider visiting family to be a vacation. I tend to agree as visiting family tends to include very little activity. It's mostly just sitting and socializing, which in my mind isn't a vacation. What do all of you think?
Visiting them pre-empted them visiting me, which was a season in hell. It was like a war games strategy, not a vacation.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:04 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Definitely not.

A vacation means you visit a difference place where a difference language is spoken and a different culture is observed.
I am visiting my family in 4 days (14 hours flight), and I consider it an obligation, not a vacation.
That's absurd. Given your definition of vacation, the two weeks I just spent in London was what, a pilgramage? A retreat? A business trip? What if I went to Australia? That wouldn't be a vacation either, right? : smack:

Old 05-04-2015, 03:48 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,608,193 times
Quote:
The other at work we were talking about traveling and one of my coworkers said he does not consider visiting family to be a vacation. I tend to agree as visiting family tends to include very little activity. It's mostly just sitting and socializing, which in my mind isn't a vacation. What do all of you think?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO X100000000000000000000000000

Visiting our family is sheer PUNISHMENT!

Old 05-04-2015, 03:49 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,608,193 times
Vacation:
Quote:
A vacation or holiday is a specific trip or journey, usually for the purpose of recreation or tourism. People often take a vacation during specific holiday observances, or for specific festivals or celebrations.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:06 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,454,387 times
My kids always said that going to spend time at family is a "visit." For a vacation, they felt that it needed to be somewhere enjoyable like Disney or cruising on a large cruise ship. I tend to agree.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:41 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
Well if you are the kind of person who sits and lets the family members you are visiting do all the work, then it SURELY isn't a holiday for them.
My brother and his big lazy wife used to go visit my other brother and his wife. She sat there like the queen of Sheba and let everyone wait on her like she was special. She did the same to me at Christmas time a couple of times until I got smart and organized the "cleaning staff"... her included lol. She wasn't happy, but tough!

Old 05-04-2015, 09:17 PM

30,616 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree with you. When we visit family or when we did years ago family would have special meals for us, kids would get a chance to see cousins or grandparents and we always had a good time. No, of course it isn't like a cruise or a trip to a resort, but it is still vacation to us.
Right. Also, at least for me, a big part of the vacation is traveling to and from the destination. Road-trips are especially memorable. Note, whenever we travel considerable distances to see the family, we spend a great deal of time out and about around the town/region/city; we're not limited to the relatives' home.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:19 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:

Depends upon the family member, where I'll be staying and to some degree, where the family members live.

Generally, my answer is no. It can be pleasant, or a duty - but sitting around socializing with relatives does not feel like a vacation.

On vacation, I like to go out, visit local points of interest, experience new things. I also like autonomy. When staying at the home of a relative, I seldom feel that way. I can feel "at home" but feeling "at home" is pretty much the opposite of a vacation.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:42 PM

509 posts, read 554,329 times
Some families-yes.
Mine-some of them, but not usually
My husband's family-No way! I'd rather be at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel